electonic hogu's in 2012 for certian now!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by estranged13, Aug 25, 2008.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

http://www.wtf.org/site/news/wtf.htm?realnum=232&mode=view

it starts at worlds in 2009.

so no more theory's about how its going to change the art, we are going to see it.

anyone have thoughts or comments on it? our clubs going to hopefully order a couple of em soon because they are pressure sensitive by weight class and you HAVE to know how hard you need to kick to score a point.

no more little taps that make good sound, its got to be solid! And hopefully there will be a lot less of "why didn't that score"

2. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I'm interested in knowing how much force is required to register an attack...

3. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

While I think the move in general is a good one, I'd really like to see an image showing where the sensors on the padding actually are. If its just a case of one in the middle and one on each side,I can see that players might potentially work this out and just guard the exact areas where these pads are.

I think also they might have to allow people to score with a wider range of punches as in the clinch is hooks/upper cuts are automatically scored it would be hard to then diduct these points without stopping all the time to review video footage.

4. Ty-00

Ty-00 Valued Member

I don't do WTF, but I can see the same issue that Liam mentioned, automatically scoring anything that is hard enough to register a point. I think the best bet is just to give the judges real time feedback so that they can compare it to what they are seeing and make better calls.

5. estranged13

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqEucGYT8Dg"]MDK ATASTA PETOS ELECTRONICOS ADIDAS - YouTube[/ame]

6. Liam Cullen

That's a nice demonstration video, but now I'm really curious to know how it can tell the difference between strikes with different parts of the body.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Many of the points missed were headshots, it's a start though.

8. Ki Op

Ki Op Valued Member

Looks pretty cool. When I heard about them I pictured a hogu that lit up when hit, kind of like those kids shoes do when they step.

I don't think you can rule out the human element all together when judging, but used as an aid to scoring would be nice.

9. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

You might just have something there... Kids Hogus that light up different colors when they are hit. Kinda like sparring "Simon" style:) Heck, it might even make the kids who don't want to spar suit up!

They have 3 years to work out any of the remaining kinks in the electronics and such but it will definitely aid in proper scoring. The judging left alot to be desired and the less we have to rely on what the corner judges deem as a proper hit the better. Too bad it can't score for head shots as well.

10. Prons

Prons New Member

Yeah but after the first day of school they wouldn't light up anymore. :(

I think electric hogu combined with human judging would be pretty interesting to say the least :)

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Exactly what I was thinking.

A step in right direction though and something that can surely be developed.

Anyone had any word on the price?

Mitch

12. chansau

chansau Valued Member

Electronic hogus wont be all they crack up to be. Having tried a set last year its easy to see that we will see a lot more players closing each other down and using punches and knees to score. Also it doesnt quite take away from the fact that you still cant put a sensor to the front of the face which is if were being honest is where we want to see the kicks landing and some KOs going on! Also they are ridiculously expensive as after software etc. they end up costing around £600 a pair :eek:

13. estranged13

next gen ones that i read about somewhere can tell between a knee and a kick... it's coming it'll just take time

14. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

The lack of headshot is a worry.

Is there a mechanism for differentiating between a strike and a block that gets hit into a sensor - especially the sides. (If this was answered in the video, apologies, but youtube is blocked at work).

15. Liam Cullen

Its all in the video, looks to work pretty well. I'm suprised at how far they've come on over the last year or so.

16. crystos

crystos Valued Member

good.... now punches will be used. no more bouncy tippy taps hopefully.

17. mangoman

mangoman Valued Member

Anyone in California or nearby that wants to see the e-hogu at work should consider checking out Tim Thackrey's Shoot Out in Fresno on Sept 7th as this just came into my e-mail a few minutes ago.

=====

Greetings Sport Taekwondo Community,

With The Shoot Out approaching quickly, we are pleased to announce some exciting news.

The Shoot Out has teamed up with TrueScore to feature the new TrueScore Electronic Protector Scoring System on Sunday, September 7! Be the first to try out this new and exciting system in 1 of our 3 full sized rings.

The WTF just released a statement that the 2012 London Olympic Games will feature electronic equipment scoring systems, with tentative plans for use at the 2009 World Championships in Copenhagen.

With electronic protector scoring systems quickly becoming a reality, it is important that our athletes have every advantage in their use.

So get ahead of the curve and be part of what the future of taekwondo holds. Currently, TrueScore is able to provide the electronic equipment for athletes 13 and older. All ages should still bring their full equipment including chest gear and head gear.

The Shoot Out: unlimited match fights, electronic protector scoring systems, top athletes, full-sized rings, full-length matches…register online quickly to reserve your spot and save $10 (by 9/1/08 @ kick.eventbrite.com).

See you there on Sunday, September 7, 2008 in Fresno!

Tim Thackrey Presents, Inc.

Kick.eventbrite.com
    ttpresents@gmail.com