elbow to destroy the fist technique

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by 5thBrother, Dec 8, 2004.

1. 5thBrother

5thBrother Valued Member

i *think* this may be called seko gunting? but its the "limb destricution/defang snake" techqniues that mainly uses elbow strikes to hit the punching fist of attacker...

im just curious..

doesnt this really hurt your elbow when the punch connects with it .. especially with a well trained conditioned fist and people that fight full contact bareknuckle knockdown style (kyokushin etc)

im guessing that you try to "time" and "distance" it so as to dislocate and damage the wrist when u elbow strike their fist?

is it a high percentage effective thing?

naturally a little pain in return for breaking/dislocating their wrist or knucles is good.. but im wondering if they would damage / hurt ur elbow (joint, tendons, muscles) or "dead arm" it, so that in effect u would now be a major disadvantage

i don't know much about it and when a friend asked inst that really gunna hurt YOUR elbow when we watched a kali video.. i said yeah but his hands gunna be broken! ... but then i was thinking... and this my question...

thanks

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

It comes down to big bone beats little bone. No matter how much conditioning is done the large bones that form the elbow are way stronger than the little bones in the arm.

As far as damaging the elbow, anythings possible but it seems highly unlikely to me. Especially if your meeting the elbow and jamming it before it develops full speed.

- Matt

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

No, it doesn't hurt your elbow if they hit the part that is pure bone. A well conditioned fist isn't really going to hurt the point of the elbow. Just make sure the fist hits the point, and not the inside or outside of the elbow.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

just to add to what matt said, there are also more nerves in your hands than there are in your elbow.

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

And keep your palm facing outwards(toward the attacker) in order to protect the funny bone, and it also makes the elbow bone poke out a little more than normal

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

As others have said, no. The elbow is far harder than the fist - this is almost a universal. Any exceptions would be simply those that prove the rule but they're rare.

That's one way of doing it. But usually it's more like parrying a fist and guiding it into the path of yoru elbow. This is much simpler to be accurate with. Can you parry a punch? Can you slap your own elbow? If both answers are yes, then you can parry a punch to your elbow.

Depends on what you mean by "effective." It's not intended to end the fight. It's intended to inhibit/nullify one of your attacker's weapons. It usually accomplishes that pretty well - even with a light shot. Have you ever punched or kicked someone's elbow in sparring - i.e.: you fire a shot at their ribs and they cover reflexively and you end up dinging their elbow instead? If so, I'm guessing that it hurt you way worse than them, right? That likely means that they had an opportunity to land a shot or three on you during your bout of pain.

One of the things we did in training was for one partner to put on gloves - we used street hockey gloves but boxing gloves work too - and start punching. The other works the siko guntings. Street hockey gloves offer some padding but not a whole lot. As the elbower, I never once felt any level of pain in this drill. As the puncher, it could get pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly. We would turn up the juice with speed/power gradually until the puncher - and it was always the puncher - had to quit.

Mike

7. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

I stumbled onto this little gem

When I was a child who was bullied and picked on constantly . Only a couple of times that I have intercepted a punch with the elbow ( out of plenty of successfull blocks ) has it hurt noticably ,but never as much as it seems to hurt the attacker .

I havent heard that before but it make sense and it seems to stop my arm from raising up as far and keeps my torso covered more . I will have to work on this more thanks for the tip .

:love:

BackFistMonkey

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

With your arm bent and the elbow poking out, you then have one of the hardest points to hit with in your limbs (besides the knee), this is why Thai Boxers use the elbow to great effect, you never see a Thai Boxer complaining about his elbow being hurt after a fight, normally it the other guy complaining about being hit with the elbow you notice.

I used elbows to great effect in Boxing bouts, even through the boxing gloves I managed to break the odd hand or two and the only thing my elbow felt breaking and hurting was the other guys hand.

A very effective technique if used correctly, and still effective if not. There is always something you can be rest assured with 'if the elbow hits you even lightly, it will hurt':D

You gotta love pain, especially when inflicted on other people;)

regards

Pat

9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Your most welcome....its a common with people who hurt their elbow hitting something that they have palm in.....and it does have the advantage of doubling up as 'body armour'

10. 5thBrother

5thBrother Valued Member

thanks

thanks for all the informative posts everyone!

:)

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Makes sense. "Siko" means "elbow."

Nah. Remember you can condition the elbow as well. But when it's folded over, the way it is in gunting, You're really not exposing much of it to damage. It's not like your arm is straight. That would risk the elbow.

That's the nice thing about it, to my mind. There's a decent margin of error. If you're ahead of schedule, you can just put your elbow in the path of his punch and he'll hit it straight on with his knuckles. If you're on time, you can hit his fingers on the way up and sandwich his fist between your elbow and your other hand parrying down. And if you're running late, you'll probably still deflect his shot off with your forearms (kinda like crazy monkey boxing).

It's not foolproof, but yeah.

Stuart

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's a pretty useful technique. If you don't think the attacker is going to come piling in on you, then it's very useful and hurts them a lot, for little pain in return. Hit your elbow with you palm now, and you will notice that you can barely feel it on your elbow, but it hurts your palm. I remember training this with gloves on, and even through the gloves it can sting, and the elbowing person doesn't feel a thing.