Eight Treasures Congee

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jaydub, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I've been thinking of making eight treasures congee for quite some time now. My intention is to make a big batch, and eat it every morning for breakfast.

There are dozens of recipes online, all of them unique. Some of the ingredients are hard to source.

Has anyone here tried this dish? Did you enjoy it? Is there a recipe that you would recommend?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Are you talking about the one congee where it's got dried/preserved fruit or root veg?

Congee in general doesn't last well. Rice breaks down on reheating.

Why 8 Treasures?

1 cup rice : 3 cups water, pork bones, salt to taste and simmer away to preferred texture.
    I personally like it went congee is thick and gloopy.
    Altho when I'm ill, my Mum makes it for me and she says when you're ill, congee is best loose and watery which I hate.

3. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I was thinking the one with rice, grains, nuts, fruit, etc.

It's just something I've read about, and have always been curious to try.

Mushroom likes this.
  4. Mushroom

Thats the beauty with congee. You can literally put anything in the silly thing...cos its water and rice. Which tastes of nothing.

Common place recipes are with sliced roast duck, nuts and salted egg.

But theres even a durian one. (Literally threw up a little in my mouth just mentioning that) but ask @Chimpcheng , thats his favourite.

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Never heard of this so just googled it...

Looks like watery ejaculate!! I'll stick to risotto and paella cheers lads :p

6. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You mean pizza and chocolate, right?

Knee Rider likes this.
  8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Ricicles and Stella.

axelb likes this.
  9. Mushroom

More like snot. And also not far off texture from cheesy risotto actually. However, I never believe rice should be "al dente".

10. Mushroom

11. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I really enjoy durian, can't imagine it in rice though. I like the idea of savoury congee though. I might try the pork bones idea, I've got some good local bucthers that will throw some good quality stewing bones away.

That 8 treasures one looks like it'd be a struggle to eat though.

12. Mushroom

Yeah the pork bones add flavour, nutrients etc into the congee. Although, still needs seasoning. Usually i'll throw some chicken chunks/shredded in there as well, chopped spring onions and if you're near chinatown, see if you can grab some fried chinese donuts (yow jap gwai).. they look like giant fried crispy fingers. Its oily and not good for you.

Tastes amazing.

13. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Sounds ace, I'll be on the look out next time I'm in Birmingham, gotta make a run for some gyoza ingrediants soon anyways :D