Eight Pattern Wing Chun Book

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Misanthropist, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Misanthropist

Misanthropist Valued Member

Sorry but this falls short of the advertising TOS. Please contact site Admin if you wish to place an advert.

The most current video shows the complete 2nd section, which contains a lot of footwork: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riRANPfUoMo"]Chi Sau Section 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

The reciever is still over-acting.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Derogatory post/flaming. Not acceptable, so keep it kind please.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

5. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

If you think that's bad you should check out Internal Damage lol

6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Fourteen and a half minutes! Can someone summarise?

7. Simon

Yes. Wing Chun is a great art. The trapping hands in particular is very good, it just need a lot more forward pressure when delivering the final product.
    In my opinion the punches lack something on final delivery and this is where the wc practitioner should be more like a boxer.

I personally would like to explore trapping hands more. I do teach it as part of my syllabus, but it is more of a JKD take on things. So I only use the boxers stance for example.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I found that weakness, too. When my partners and I didn't square up properly, we couldn't do the wing chun stuff properly. No doubt that weakness gets fixed at higher levels, but still, because of that perceived flaw I did not pursue wing chun further.

I love the leg/foot inserts in the video. Those look fun. I could use some of that. :D

9. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

This has got to be a troll job. No one could honestly think that was good.

10. Simon

Why is it a troll job? Just because you don't like it?

I see a video of people enjoying their training. Sure there are things I would change, but I'm sure we could all say that about the arts of others.

11. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

You do remember the previous posts and videos regarding eight pattern wing chun, right?

12. Simon

Yes I do and I have added my critisism, however there is a way to be critical without being rude. Remember that flaming and personal attacks are against the TOS.

13. Killa_Gorillas

Oh all right then :cool: :hat:

14. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Watched about 2 minutes, liked Girl beats Boy, and the footsweep parts, though (from a judo perspective) in free practice there would be a lot of pushing/pulling so would it work?

15. Misanthropist

we are in close contact with judo people (traditional as well as sports-judo) and in the past most of us had a lot of contact with people from other styles. our stuff works, you can believe it.

but what you see on the videos is wing chun vs. wing chun, as in all formal training, so the techniques will never look exactly like this against a non wing chun opponent. a wing chun opponent will try not to resist as good as he can. most other people will resist as much as they can. therefore even the set of techniques used will differ significantly if wing chun is applied against a real world opponent.

but please don't try to make a discussion of the form "why practise something, that never occurs in the real fight" out of this. for us wing chun people, the more some attack deviates from the wing chun way to do it, the easier it becomes for us to counter attack. the more resistance, the better. our techniques are made to use the resisting force / structure.

16. Killa_Gorillas

You have proven this where? You have a youtube account, a group of training partners/students, access to crosstraining students of other arts and a book to sell on your/your teachers website so you shouldn't have too much difficulty proving your claim.

17. Misanthropist

how can a youtube video prove anything? besides, the strong guy in the middle of the clip (who has more than 20 years of martial arts experience including competition and a lot of real world fights in peace- as well as war times) did try to resist the throw; you probably cannot see this though, because the resistance is broken in this case, not circumvented.

please spare me your "no proof for wing chun" rants, this is getting old. many people believe that wing chun works, among them bodyguards, special forces personell, military personell, law personell, professional security people, martial arts / sports professionals and so on. If you think (like ras butten) that they are all wrong, then why keep challenging single people about it? it is obviously a mass hallucination which you will not be able to stop by harassing one single guy for video proofs of whatever.

18. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Is the guy at the beginning of the video? I remember him from earlier videos where we was yelping even at the slightest smack and falling all over the place. Watching the first five minutes, he doesn't seem to have improved. He STILL seems to fall over/stumble with the slightest provocation.

I know you Wing Chun people love your flow and balance.. does this student maybe have some issues with balance?

The concepts look fine -though I'm not much of a trapping type- but that particular student seems to be either grossly exaggerating the effects or has some serious balance issues.

As for the latter part, I've seen plenty of Wing Chun advocates like yourself CLAIM to be supported and loved by the worlds military, security, elite combat athletes and police personnel for training... but in truth it's once in a blue moon that I see someone with any real experience of violence (ring or otherwise) come forward themselves to say anything even remotely positive of wing chun.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  19. Killa_Gorillas

It can very easily reinforce your assertion that your techniques work under duress and that the greater the resistance and the less 'chunny' the attack the easier it is for you to execute your strategy and technique to tangible effect. Also, if you feel that a youtube video shows nothing of value with regards to martial arts practice then why do you have a channel promoting your art/org/studies and why are you posting youtube clips on an internet forum?

you made a claim and you have the means to prove it quite easily... and yet you don't. I've seen workable wingchun; it doesn't look like most and it certainly doesn't look like your stuff, so forgive me if I approach your claims of effectiveness with a large degree of skepticism based on what you say and what you have shown. Of course you could just prove me wrong by posting up a clip of you training in a resistant/uncomplient/hard contact environment against these judoka and crosstraining martial artists you supposedly test your stuff on... but I won't hold my breath.

20. Misanthropist

yeah, don't. I am not here to satisfy your desperate cries for proof. i get it that you cannot see anything effective or to your liking in these clips. thats ok with me.