ego and self-defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by ANVIL, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ANVIL

ANVIL New Member

ok, this is the scenario - you're attacked by a single unarmed attacker in a wide open space - no one around but lots of room to run if needed, and judging by the attackers appearance, you could outrun him. your first instinct however is to defend yourself, and you do. you execute your favourite technique and your attacker is visibly stunned. my question then, is do you run and prevent matters from escalating or do you stay and finish/ko your attacker, knowing full well that you could've got away?

if you stay and finish your attacker, is it your ego that's making you stay, or something else?

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Provided that he's stunned and I have a clear path, I'm running. This is self defense. I have no illusions about citizens arrests or anything else. And I have no idea how secure the area is. The correct path is to stun and run (keeping an eye on the baddie). That way I know I make it home safe.

- Matt

3. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

With Matt on this one.

4. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

The moment i have clear path I'd exercise my sprint. Ain't no glory for me in fighting on the street as soon as I get to the point I can escape the altercation

5. jokerlaughsatu

jokerlaughsatu New Member

it really depends on what he did in the first place. I might hit him a few more times, enough so i could walk away, not run. I would want him to know that it wasnt just one lucky shot the i got. I defiantly want him to think twice next time.

6. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

What I would do depends on how aggressive he is.

~ NOT VERY AGRESSIVE I would get him in a hold to where he couldn't move and talk him out of his attack - diffuse the situation.

~AGGRESIVE I would get him in a lock and tell him if he doesn't calm down and stop attacking me I will break whatever I have locked.

If he keeps going after that point and tries as hard as he can to injure me, I will strike him repeatedly to try to get him to stop his attack...

After that point: *CrAcK*

I don't really get mad when people attack me, but I still have the feeling that what they are doing is wrong and I want to correct it. I make sure I defuse the situation before I let him go.

7. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

He who fights and runs away, avoids me having to take them back to the station and bombard them with and endless stream of questions all in the name of generating a report..

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Not a bad reason to leave the seen either. Though if I caused grevious bodily harm and the environment is non threatening, I'd probably stay. Civic duty and all. Plus I figure I don't want to annoy you guys further by making you hunt me down.

And sticking around, if it's really bad, I might be able to make sure that if things went bad I'd be facing assualt charges and not anything worse.

But I'm curious for more of the LEO view on that.

- Matt

9. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

If he is stunned and I have a clear path I am running. Unless of course the attack is related to territorial disputes and the like but that doesnt happen here. So once he is stunned get out of there, there is nothing to be gained from staying.

10. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Matt.
    As you well know life is not fair. Oftimes the victim gets punished for the simple of defending himself..My personal opinion is that if it happens outside and there are no witnesses end the fight and and GET OUT OF THERE..If you're worried a call from your cell phone can summon EMS personnel..If the assault occurs inside with witnesses STAY PUT and talk to us (police)..Get as many people to give a statement as possible..

11. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

ok, i by no means saying what i would do in that situation is right, cause i pretty much no it isnt, but when faced with a situation like that i would do the same as in any other fight, if i can i will calm him down possibly useing locks in the process, if i do strike him, i will just carry on with whatever i was doing before he approached me, if i was walking somewhere i would carry on walking there, if he approached me while i was haveing a picnic i would carry on have my picnic right next to him, not saying thats a good idea thats just me, i dont let bullys ect stop me from doing what i want to do

12. marcusknight

but the best way really is just to walk away,

13. dfilson

dfilson New Member

I for one am quite satisfied with stunning the attacker and getting out of there. Besides, I'm not sure how is is where you are at, but in PA anything more would be considered obsessive force and could get the "victim" in more trouble than the attacker.

14. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

If you had the chance to run BEFORE hitting him, you've just commited assault. Remeber you can only use enough force to disengage and flee. If ou could have safely fled before the confrontation, you should have done so.

15. SmilingBear

SmilingBear Valued Member

I'm with CanuckMA on this one. Without defining assault (I'm no lawyer) this whole thread is premised on one making the wrong first decision, staying around to visibly stun the guy.

Bear

16. Ling Kuo

Ling Kuo New Member

To be honest I think that my ego would have a lot to do with how I would react in the situation you described. I am pretty sure that if I was attacked I would flee as fast as I can before the aggressor could lay a finger on me but in doing so I would feel annoyed at not using my favourite move to stun this pathetic bully. I just have to remember that that is all he is - a pathetic thuggish bully who is not worth the bother.:cool:

17. marcusknight

lies all lies, hes a walking punch bag too :D :D :D

18. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

If the dudes that big I aint even gonna hang round to hit him once :D

19. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

First of all here t3h 5tr33t isn't as dangerous as wherever you are people. I can take a walk at 3 am from my house to the center of my town ( about 6km) without problems no matter how dark the alley i'm walking is.

Now we got that out of the way, I think the reason most of you would run is because you live in a dangerous enviroment and you are expecting something bad to happend if you dont run wich is completely natural and ego has nothing to do with it.

for me its a matter of temper not ego. I have no ego years of ma taught me to loose and accept it and learn from it, but i have a bad temper, and a weird cense of justice. If the guy attacked me with no reason , yea i would KO him, with pleasure. I never attack or insult , or even talk to people i don't know or pick up fights. People should have the decency to live me alone.

20. pest

pest Occasional Poster

Taking this scenario for face value... If attacked and I have already struck and stunned the assailent, I would probally want to either disturb there balance or just knock them to the ground then run. By the time they get up or recover I should be a few more steps ahead of them if they could/decided to chase me. But no I wouldent try to KO them just so I can say I did.