Edgar drops to FW, replaces Koch against Aldo

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Teflon, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Nice surprise for me this morning since Hendo vs Jones got cancelled (was looking forward for a long time - big Hendo fan!). Now Eric Koch is out of his title match against Jose Aldo due to an injury, and will be replaced by Frankie Edgar in his featherweight debut.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30447/usa...rik-koch-meets-champ-jose-aldo-at-ufc-153.mma

Edgar is perhaps the only guy that can lose twice in a row, move to a new division, and get an instant title shot. I don't mean that to sound derogatory - on the books it sounds bad, but those were both very close title fights that he lost, and he is likely to be better at FW than he was at LW. I think Aldo will pick him off all fight long though. Edgar's toughness may prevent a finish, but Aldo's speed is gonna be too much in my opinion. Edgar likes to box, and has a slightly shorter reach. Aldo can use a variety of kicks from outside of his punch range, and I really dont like Frankies chances with either his boxing or wrestling if he takes heavy leg kicks early on - which could easily happen if he tries to walk through shots to get to Aldo.

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'm routing for Frankie in this one, definitely a better weight class for him, will be interesting to see him as one of the bigger guys in his division for a change, and see how the power works on 145lbs.

His wrestling will be telling too, though he probably doesn't want to get caught up in a ground game a couple of well timed slams and some G/P could do it.

Good match up.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i thought edgar won the last fight to be honest that said Aldo will take him apart, cant even seen frankie taking him down to be honest, aldo is just that good

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Come from gym to find this. So quite happy. I think Edgar got the shot once again simply for his drawing power potential. I think he should get 1 fight in first...but this is a fight that although fans weren't clamouring for...but very curious about.

I would say Aldo for this..but a close one.