Ed Hutchinson?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by humble student, Sep 1, 2005.

1. humble student

humble student Valued Member

Has anyone heard of him or his "Dragon Kenpo"?

John Runer

2. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Ed Hutchinson was a 4th or 5th degree black belt under Jay T. Will under the Tracy Kenpo tree. He was also a boxer, and created a rather controversial distance learning program.

Dragon Kenpo is basically a cut-down version of Tracy Kenpo, with around 7 techniques or so per belt. There are no Forms, Sets, or any type of organized movement...just the techniques. The techniques are pretty basic and simple.

You're probably thinking "Doesn't sound so bad...modified Kenpo, no forms...", but there is a reason Ed Hutchinson is basically reviled in the Kenpo community.

He included a "1st Degree Black Belt" certificate with the videos. No testing, no seminars, no demonstrations...you bought the tapes, so now you're a black belt.

Didn't go over to well in the Kenpo community.

His rationalization was ok, in that he stated "Rank is not a measure of someone's fighting ability, but of their EXPOSURE to techniques. You watch the videos, you're exposed to them...since a Black Belt only means EXPOSURE, you're now a black belt."

I believe he was making a statement that basically said, "A black belt doesn't mean crap unless you can back it up, so since it means crap, here ya go!"

I think he meant it as a joke (I hope)...but people started taking it seriously and claiming "Black Belts in Kenpo". Completely trashed his entire program. He eventually put the entire thing on E-Bay (rights, lineage, etc...) for a few thousand dollars, then disappeared off the planet.

A friend of mine is associated with the IKCA, and he kept a running log of what was happening with the Dragon Kenpo deal. Once he disappeared, my buddy lost interest.

May you achieve
    Satori

3. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

I actually trained with someone who was taught under Ed Hutchinson. As a result, I trained with some of the techniques of dragon kenpo. It is basically a purely self defense art that is very to the point. I believe Ed Hutchinson is a former boxer and so many dragon kenp manuevers are derived from basic boxing. Overall, Dragon kenpo is a style which focuses on street defense using basic techniques which can be applicable to all including basic blocks, kicks, strikes, and some basic throws or takedowns.

4. R Strausbaugh

R Strausbaugh One Mild and Lazy Guy

I trained under Jay T. Will and have seen a tape of the Dragon Kenpo techniques.
    To tell the truth, they don't look anything like the Kenpo I've seen. They appear to be basically boxing with a few low kicks, sweeps, and takedowns added. In my humble opinion, the style should've been given a name which didn't include the word "Kenpo".
    I don't say this as a putdown- I've never met Mr. Hutchinson, so he may be a tough guy and a really good teacher, I don't know. I do know that if you're looking for Kenpo, you are well advised to look elsewhere.

5. humble student

humble student Valued Member

Thank you for the replie. I live in Chubbuck/Pocatello Idaho and can not find instructor's willing to work with a person with a cane. Thats why I am always checking for video courses not for rank! Rank needs to be verified in person and techniques are best learned with on site instruction. I can not afford to travel, but I can afford to by a video now and then. I read a little about Mr. Will in Black Belt Magazine. He must of been very interesting! There are no local Kenpo Schools, so I am looking for some videos that show the basics of the various Kenpo styles.

John Runer

6. linnypin

linnypin New Member

I have come across a site called cane masters, which uses a cane as a weapon. They do sell videos from that site. I think the site is canemasters.com or something like that. Hope this helps.