Ebay?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Geordie Boy, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Hi All,

Just been checking on Ebay, and they have loads of MA stuff in there. Firstly has anyone ever bought anything off ebay, secondly have you bought any MA stuff. Im not sure i would want second hand boxing gloves etc? However the Sword sets looked nice? Only i thought they usually cost a lot more than on ebay?

2. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I have bought a few MAs Movies/DVDs, but I'm pretty sure they are the only thing MA related I have bought.

Did'nt have any problems at all. Just check their feedback rating.

EDIT: Oh yea, I did order two sets of Nunchaku, one cord, and one chain. They were from the UK, but were denied through Australian customs.

3. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Ah ok, Thanks For that ,and were the DVD's in good condition etc?

4. MsDwee

MsDwee New Member

I've bought various bits off ebay - not MA but CDs etc and never had any trouble. Like Ving Tsun says, check their feedback rating and comments. Also check where they are selling from and where they will ship to.

A lot of things will be sold on there secondhand when people have bought them new and not got on with them (e.g. shoes didn't fit or whatever) so it'll generally be in good condition. There's an option to email the seller a question, which is useful, and I believe that there are some legal protections in place, so that descriptions should be accurate.

Check on the seller's details - a lot of people selling are individuals, but it also seems that there's a lot of companies that sell things over Ebay, judging by the number of items they have available.

5. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Cheers guys. Ill take a look.

I was looking at the Display swords. There looks like some nice ones on there, but i thought £30 was particularly cheap even for ebay?

Any way cheers

6. Adralian

Adralian New Member

I have unfortunately purchased more from EBay that is probably good for me. Only one of my items were MA related, a set of grappling gloves. I was able to find an EBay seller who was a company, so the gloves were brand new. Interestingly enought the gloves on EBay were cheaper than the list price on their retail site.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've bought a lot of stuff off ebay and have only had one problem with a seller. No complaints from me on the MA stuff either!

8. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i bought many things off ebay. but i never bought any M/A things yet but i am looking into it.

9. abby

abby New Member

I've purchased many items off ebay. From clothes to computer parts to anime collectibles, and even my 55-gallon fishtank. I haven't had hardly any problems. Just make sure your seller has good feedback.

10. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Excellent condition.

11. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I'd say ebay is a very good place to buy from. There are many items sold by private buisnesses that are not used, and I really think that this is the best way to go. Like others have said look at their feedback.

I bought my Wavemaster and BOB off of ebay and I got a way better deal then if I went to the store, or bought it from the Century website.

These private buisnesses have very low overhead, because they don't really need to go into too much advertising, or pay rent on a shop. They most likely order the stuff wholesale and then send it right to you collecting a low percentage on each sale just being the middle man.

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Ebay Noob question here... how exactly does it work, meaning how do I communicate with the seller, how do I pay etc? I'm keen to get into it, but I'm apprehensive, so any advice anyone can give will be a good help!

13. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Kgirl,

Setup an account (takes about 10 mins)

Use the search facillities on ebay to find something you are after.

When you find something you are after, click on it for more info.

Checkout how long the auction for the item you are intersted in is lasting. There is a countdown clock that tells you this.

Look at the sellers feedback (number next to there name). the higher the number, the more transactions they have had. If they have over twenty with no negative feedbacks from disgruntled customers then they should be safe enough.

Checkout the postage costs and payment instructions at the bottom of the page.

Place a bid which is the maximum that you want to pay. The computor will only bid in the smallest increments for you so that you don't pay any more then you have to.

If you are the person with the highest bid then you have won. the seller will email you. You can pay by cheque or with something called PAYPAL. I will let you read up on paypal though ;)

That pretty much sums it up really. Good fun when you get into it. I have sold and bought quite a lot of martial arts gear myself on there. I'll be putting some stuff up soon on sunday so check it out.

14. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

You can also ask the seller questions before bidding by clicking on his/her username. This will allow you to send them a message.

View the item you're interested in, and click their username. Doing it this way will automatically add the item number to your message.

15. xubis

xubis New Member

I find ma stuff is a lot more expensive on ebay.

16. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

Kgirl, Just one thing to bear in mind, some people who are bidding on Ebay get into a `must win' frenzy and some items end up selling for a lot more than the retail price.

If your going to bid on somthing, decide on your maximum price and stick to it, don't change your mind and think `OK, just another £'

I have bought and sold items on Ebay and all the advice given so far is good advice, just don't end up paying over the odds.

The golden rule on Ebay - Check the sellers feedback rating.

17. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

19. clumsybob

clumsybob New Member

If you are looking to buy MA stuff on ebay then from my experience you can get the following.
    Second hand branded gear like blitz or t-sport that has been used once or twice until the wearer decided to give up MA. Usually sells for about 50-70% online retail price. But you will wear someone elses sweat.
    New gear from less well known manufacturers, this gear can be good or poor quality you take your chances I'm afraid. I recently bought some Masuta foot, shin and a headguard for £30. I resold the headguard because I wasn't happy with the quality but was very pleased with the other gear.
    New branded gear that usually retails for the same price as an online store, you decide to buy from ebay or online.

My advice is to watch the lists, save the martial arts selections and check them regularly. You can get some really great deals on ebay (not just MA), but occasionally you can get some stinkers as well.
    To date I have bought the following from ebay:
    hand wraps, 2 pairs for £5
    shin,foot head-guards £30 (resold headguard for £10)
    grappling gloves £18 (yet to receive ordered tuesday)

The beauty of ebay is, that if you buy something at you dont like it or it doesnt fit you can usually sell it on ebay for a similar price to what you paid.

Be warned though, once you start buying and your feedback starts rising you may become addicted!

clumsybob (current feedback 151)

20. Adam

Adam New Member

I got my copy of the Ong-Bak movie off Ebay. 12$ + 5$ shipping to Scandinavia, was here in four days from Hong Kong. I like Ebay :)