Eating + Early morning training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ferret, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Hi chaps,

At the moment I'm training 7-9am (getting up at 6), and feel pretty un-fuelled before hand. I always have plenty of water, and sometimes a banana if I can.

Does this sound about right? I'm worried I'm either not eating enough, or eating the wrong thing. I just dont want something sitting on my stomach while I train. I've thought about supplements, but am a little bit clueless, so not sure where to start there.

Lastly, is there anything I should be eating/drinking right after training? I have been having cereal or a ham sandwich, but no idea if this is the right thing to be having.

Any suggestions welcome!

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

personally, if i were training at 7am, i'd be up at 5 (and possibly 4), to give myself time to hydrate and digest breakfast somewhat. but that's me, based on my own experience.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Eat.

I'd recommend oatmeal in the morning, which I eat unless I'm trying to lose weight. Hell it never bothers me to eat then train, but I don't eat a whole buttload either. An easy one would be 1 cup rolled oats 1 cup skim milk 1 T flax meal, or 1 cup rolled oats 1 cup 2% milk or something.

4. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

4??!!! :eek:

But yes, I see your point.

5. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Ok, I'll try and be a little more organised in the morning and give this a shot.
    I am trying to lose weight (1-2 stone), will eating oats w/milk (semi-skimmed) stop me losing weight?

6. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I get up at 6am and have 2 weetabix with skimmed milk and some OJ. The hit the gym for weights about 7am. Doesn't feel heavy at all and gives me a nice amount of energy. Def need something straight after the work out and then mid-morning though. Just a protein shake or something.

7. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Agree with above. Though more in line with your other post asking about Steel Cut Oats, or the Irish Oats I mentioned in it. They are just plain better for you, hands down. Also look at having a whole egg or two and some egg whites. After the workout, depending on the type of workout depends on your post workout meal. For a weight lifting routine, you would definitely want to have a post workout protein shake with about 50g of complex (fast burning) carbs. If it's a long cardio day, the carbs might hit the spot a bit better.

Eat breakfast. If you don't your body remains in starvation mode through your workout until you finally DO eat. So eating will actually HELP you lose weight, as long as you do it smart.

8. furn

furn Valued Member

I think it depend on you. When you get up, do you feel hungry? Or if you train after you eat, do you feel well or not?

For myself, I train at 6 a.m., and I never eat before, because it make me feel sick while training.

But from what I read...Berardi wrote about taking a mix of protein protein/carb drink during training, and after that a good breakfast if you train in the morning. But I suspect this guy to be pro supplement, and i'm not.

Also, what is your goal? If you want to lose weight, i said don't eat before (it works for me), if not, well do what you feel is the best.

9. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Okies, I'll have a look for Irish Oat (and thanks for your other post!) I am an oat noob!

As far as workout goes, I do mix of warm ups (star jumps, knee lift, leg raises), sit ups, push ups, lunges, stretching, kicking and punching drills, kata/patterns, and a little free sparring. I train outdoors, so keeping warm is paramount, so I try to keep moving.

I will look into protien shakes then. Again, I don't know much about these. Thee are heaps on the market and it's quite confusing!

10. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

When I first get up, eating is the last thing on my mind. On non training morning, I dont tend to eat until I'm into work, so not before 9.30am. But I couldnt train without food inside me, so I force it down! I know I would feel like passing out during or after with no food.

So perhaps Irish oats at 6am would be ok, and a protein shake after training.... should that set me up ok until lunch? I should prob point out that I am a little overweight and am trying to shift 1-2 stone. I dont do weights, and am not looking to bulk up with muscle. I just want to loose my rubber tyre and large muffin top!

11. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Some extra muscle will help you in that quest. Have a look at a lot of the nutrition threads about spreading your daily food out a little more. I feel like i get to eat all day, which is great!

12. wiiire

wiiire Valued Member

Me too... I like to eat around 2 hours before I train, preferrably something hot :)

I usually have toast, mushrooms and beans or muesli and fruit.