East Coast Martial Art=sad state of affairs?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by thanman, Nov 21, 2004.

?

Are there enough martial arts on the east coast?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. thanman

thanman New Member

I just moved to NY...and there isn't --edited--here. I'm from California, where we have Cung Le and Carter Williams opening up shops and teaching, and Alex Gong god bless him...but here...there ain't --edited--. I'm in Bronxville, westchester-and yes, maybe THAT is my problem-but I just don't see any tournaments or schools anywhere...and the schools that do exist are old people doing tai chi and gradeschoolers doing karate-this is pathetic-PLEASE if anybody knows where the REAL martial arts are (smokers, tournaments, fights, training, sparring, schools, lifers) LET ME KNOW!!!!!!
    -Than

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  2. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a decent martial arts school in your area, but I'm sure there are quite a few good schools on the East Coast. You'll just have to keep looking. It's kind of sad that you would blast an entire coast after having only lived in the area for a brief period of time.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Become more acquainted with our area ... and with MAP.

Please review our TOS for future posts...
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/maprules.htm

You're amongst a "meca" of martial arts training here in the east coast ... suggest you open your eyes and hang with the in-crowd of martial artists in the NY-Metro area.

There is nothing wrong with "old people" and "kids" enjoying the martial arts ... don't be so offensive

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  4. thanman

thanman New Member

Let me appologize

You're all right...i was a bit hasty in my judgment-I'm sorry and I didn't mean to offend anybody. let me be more specific. I am a college student and I'm broke off my butt going to school, blah blah blah...I'm bitter because there ARE schools but they cost an arm and a leg over here and it was just a lot cheaper where I'm from. And as far as kids and old people go-nothing against either, but I'm looking for sports fighting-and everybody I have talked to so far in my area seems opposed to sports fighting.
    MY REAL COMPLAINT WAS NOT ABOUT MARTIAL ARTS SCHOOLS...I am trying to find some tournaments to watch/compete in for jujitsu and the like, I can't find ANY. There is one Gracie school in manhattan, but that's the only lead I have so far.
    You're all right-I am new to the area-so feel free to put my foot in my mouth, in fact I welcome it. I would be happy to be corrected and find out that there really is a lot of martial arts over here-just post some things i should check out and I will become increasingly humble and thankful-peace out

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member