Earning White Belts

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by ginx10k, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Mats! Mats are for wimps. :rolleyes: Give me the thud of wooden floor any day. Normally Shorinji Kempo is practiced on wooden floors. In fact I my training partner and myself helped out a group from Japan to demonstrate a range of Japanese budo about 10 years ago. The stage had mats down for everyone, including the sword guys. Just when it was Shorinji Kempo’s turn the stage hands ran out and removed all the mats, only to put them back afterwards.

In saying this, my students train on mats. I have no choice at the venue I use. It has opened my eyes to how good they work for the instruction of ukemi, it helps them relax a bit more and they pick it up a little faster; however they still need to do it on a hard floor to iron out the bugs they haven’t noticed because of the mats..

2. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Bahaha, yeah, my instructor tells me the same thing about his Kenpo training on cement...and we would be as well, but due to the fact our gym also trains other styles that require mats, well...we have mats.

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

We have carpet, no pad, over cement.

Not as forgiviing as mats, but a bit softer than hard wood.

4. GeeMac

GeeMac Valued Member

I personally know of an instructor who did not let his students wear even a white belt until he considered them worthy of it. He insisted that a new students wear a piece of rope until they proved to him that he was worthy of being his student. I heard that he even did this with students of advanced rank who wished to join his organization. :eek: