Eagle Hapkido in Toronto, Canada.

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Joseph5, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudo

Mudo Valued Member

Ian Gibbs, No-Nonsense Martial Arts. The training is more of a street-wise aspect

2. skitzo

skitzo New Member

You guys in the GTA know of a Hapkido school out in the Guelph area? I can't find anything

3. eagleeyes

eagleeyes New Member

don't waste your time there. I been there, done that. Master Hwang is very knowledgeful, but a crappy teacher to be quite honest.
    I thought initially he was eager to teach. I tried to practice diligently, be obedient and respectful... but in the end, I got very very little, and in fact injured.

My advice, forget this joker and save your money. Keep looking for a better teache.
    peace.

4. eagleeyes

eagleeyes New Member

Don't waste your time at Eagle Hapkido. Not everything is what it seems on the surface. I've been there and was excited initially, until you get the sense that there's something else going on under the surface.
    I know your post has been up for a while, but I am new to this site. Just wanted to let you know form my experience to not waste your time and money on this joker. He seems to be eager to teach, but nothing could be further from the truth. He is very knowledgeful, yes. But that does not make a good teacher necessarily, and certainly in his case this is true.
    Once again, don't waste your time. Keep looking for a good teacher and a good school. You can find both, just not there.

5. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

Hapkido isn't something for kids dude the jointlocks should only be done on adults. Their body isn't devoped yet

6. MJR

MJR Valued Member

Everyone has their own experience and I respect that. I can also understand that not everyone will leave Master Hwang In-Shik's school with a positive experience.

Worthy of less respect is using terms like 'joker' to refer to a teacher of very high standing, not posting under the their real name and, in fact, only setting up a alias for what seems to be that expressed purpose to insulting someone from under cover. "Eagleeye" posted only twice and essentially the same post. I am sure that this was not indicative of this person at their best.

However I don't disregard their feelings or their experience. I would like to contrast this experience with those of others too though.

I started training under Master Hwang in 1986 I remained training there for many years, decades in fact. There are some fellows who have recently returned to training there at Eagle hapkido who were in fact my seniors at that time. Something must be there that keeps fellows with a teacher for so long.

After training with Master Hwang I went to train in Korea and could hold my own with any I met there. In fact I was often asked to teach his approach to much higher graded teachers. After spending a few years in both Korea and Japan I can honestly say that I never encountered a teacher with a greater technical or conceptual ability than Master Hwang. I met many great teachers including people who had trained directly under Jigaro Kano, Morihei Ueshiba and Takeda Tokimune. That Master Hwang's experience and facility was of the same level as these men was clear to me. They were great and so was he.

He is however not an easy person. He isn't impartial to all and treat all equally. He isn't willing to give up his knowledge to people he doesn't know, trust or like and it does take time to get these things at that school. But if you are able to earn these things people have been able to do great things with them. His students have definitely earned respect in the martial arts community and counted among them are highly respected fighters. The current head of the World Hapkido Federation was a student of Master Hwang's when he taught classes for hapkido teachers at the Korea Hapkido Association headquarters in Seoul. I found that I could train virtually anywhere in Seoul just by mentioning his name.

Also his school is not a great place for someone who isn't much of a self starter. The classes confer only the broadest basics and one is expected to train hard on their own after class and with partners. Those that are training hard will be 'thrown a bone' and those who wait for someone to show them what to do will be left to wait.

This is not something that many North Americans are used to but I've seen the same with many highly sought after Asian teachers. A kendo teacher will pass you the shinai and show you the most basic strike and leave you in a corner to practise and see what you do. He'll then watch you without obviously doing so, if you start pumping out the reps, trying to explore what he is given you, you may be given something more in the way of instruction, after a half hour. If you practise for 5 or 10 minutes and then stop and wait for instruction he has already formed his opinion of what kind of student you are and it will be hard to get him to change that impression.

Eagle Hapkido is not the best place for everybody but it has proven to be quite good for some over the years.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience there.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  7. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

I don't have a horse in this race, but what a well thought out response. Certainly one of the best I have read.

8. eagleeyes

eagleeyes New Member

The first two posts I put up were in response to Joseph5 and Wazzabi. I just forgot to post their quotes so you would know who my post referred to. But that doesn't matter now.

You are right MJR, everyone does have their experience, and this is mine.

When I first set foot in Master Hwangs club in the early nineties, I met him in his office where we talked for a bit. He tried to explain to me the difference between his school of HapKiDo, and other phony schools. I understood what he was trying to say. He also fairly early in the conversation told me that he was a Christian and furthermore, a deacon in his church. He said, "If you train here, I will take care of you", and "all my students are good guys." I must say that I left with a good feeling and was eager to start my Hapkido training. M.Hwang seemed to be kind, friendly, and eager to keep his word and teach. After all, he was a good Christian. But nothing could have been further from the truth.

After I got injured there (my back), only then I started talking with other former students and what I found was that they ALL in fact had a bad experience of one kind or other. I found that others too were lied to like I was. For example, when I made the grade for the next belt level (from white to yellow), a senior belt immediately approached me and informed me that I now had to pay M. Hwang $100 extra. The fact that they were smirking and gloating when they asked me, prompted me to ask if this was standard for everyone because I had not been told of this previously. They told me it was and insisted that I pay. Out of respect, I did. Later, I inquired with other students who told me that they were NOT asked to pay anything at all extra from the standard fee when they went up a belt. There were some who did (like myself), and some who didn't. This started raising my brow. The words Con-man comes to mind.

When I asked the opinion of certain African/American students, they told me as well that they too felt discriminated against on many occassions, and in fact, a few said that they strongly sensed that M. Hwang was a racist and didn't really like black people. This further confirmed my suspicions that something funny is going on in this school, and it's not just me. Some characters that he will take on and teach, many know, have either criminal records or are known to the police as deviants and trouble makers. One of these characters was asked one day by M. Hwang to show me a few things. When I just stood there and put my trust in him (after all, there are "good guys"), it resulted in an injury to my back that has stayed with me and will stay with me for the rest of my life, and does not permit me to train martial arts anymore. I guess that's what he meant by "take care of you." What a good Christian. I can feel the love.
    I later got the sense that it was deliberate, and that M. Hwang actually sent him to injure me. For what reason I don't know, but I do know today that it was deliberate. Again, my experience is shared by many from what I understand, and I could not believe that what seemed to be such a good school, and such a charming teacher (and self-professed good Christian), would stoop so low and send some coward of a kid to do something like this to me. What a cowardly act that served no purpose other than for his own amusement and pleasure. The word sadist comes to mind.

MJR mentioned that if you train hard with what you are given, you will be given more attention, but this is NOT true. There were some days that I believe I trained as hard as physically possible and still got nothing more from him, if anything at all on some days. There were days where M. Hwang wasn't even present, instead it was left up to his second, Young Ho, who's arrogant disposition (as observed by many), is not ideal for teaching anything, and who has some personal issues of his own. What do you think happens to a student who starts off with much hope and gets the sense that they are being neglected? They will get demoralized pretty quickly, that's what, and lose interest in a short while. It is known by many that M. Hwang has only ever made eight (that's 8), black belts in his decades of teaching. Does that tell anyone that he loves to work or teach? I would say NO. And judging from my personal experience, definately not. But he comes across initially that he does. This duality is what is not "worthy of respect." (as MJR put it)

JimH made some good points on his post. He mentioned " the best way to know is to watch a class" and see what you see. This is true, but I would say observe more than one class on more than one occassion. Because I am sure a clever teacher like M. Hwang is will show you his best initially, but if you only could have seen what I have then you would understand why I am writing this. Also, JimH writes: "check if there are only lower belts around, it could mean that no one stays around". This is absolutely true at that school. I write this knowing that I speak for the great majority who went there and did not return for one reason or other. One more thing to consider is the condition of the school itself. First it is in a dungeon of a basement which is curiously dark. And secondly, be careful of that old, bacteria-ridden carpet that several people, that I know of personally, got a serious foot infection from. This is what you are paying for folks. He gives you very little, but how he knows how to take your money. To use the word "joker" is only fitting and appropriate under the circumstances.

Many know of these things I speak, but are too afraid to speak out for obvious reasons. I am not writing this to deliberately insult M. Hwang, or to put down Hapkido. I am writing so that others like Mr. Sogor will understand wher I am coming from. That my concern is real and a pracitcal one. I am writing this for the benefit of people like Joseph5, Wazzabi, Danjun, and Austinso, whose brief posts remind me of me back then when I had a zeal for hapkido. I admire their enthusiasm and thirst for knowledge but, as usual, the paying consumer must be vigilante. So guys BE CAREFUL. Not everything is what it seems to be on the surface. If my post can stop one more from being seriously injured, conned, taken advantage of, or fooled, then it was not in vain.

There is no doubt in my mind that M. Hwang is a very talented man. His knowledge of Hapkido is second to none. I know he is respected and famous in certain areas of the Orient, specifically Korea. However, he is also infamous in certain regions as well. That is the part that some can't tell you, or, if they know, don't want to. But it is the fact of the matter. And anyone having great and extensive knowledge of any subject matter does not necessarily a good teacher make. MJR put it best himself when he said, "He (M.Hwang) is not easy to get along with." So, if he's NOT EASY, that must mean that he IS UN-EASY. This is exactly what I am talking about and it would perfectly explain his fickle nature. At times wanting to teach, and at most other times not. Showing some students favoritism, and others using to his advantage. To think back to the first day when I was led to believe what a good Chrisitian he was, and Christians are bound by faith to "Love your neighbour as yourself", well I can't say I ever felt much love there. But in being candid and honest with others on this site, that is showing more care, concern, and yes love, to my fellow man than M. Hwang and others at his school have shown me. It is clear that M. Hwang has some issues of his own and has not yet found his Nirvana in the scriptures, but I still hope he finds the stability and contentment he seeks (that we all seek), but just not at the expense of other peoples dignity and physical health. This is not the way to go. This is not the path of a Chrisitian, or the Zen path, if you will.

MJR was right when he said that eagle hapkido is not for everyone, and apparently not for many at all from what I have seen myself, and the many that I have conversed with. And those few who find favor from M. Hwang, you need only look at their character and lifestyle to tell you something of the character of their teacher. You have made a mockery of hapkido. Shame on you M. Hwang. Shame on you all.

I'll let that God that you claim to believe in, be your judge; "As you sow, so shall you reap."

Peace to all.

P.S. You were right about one more thing MJR, that last post was not "indicative of my best"

9. MJR

MJR Valued Member

Once again I am sorry that you had such a bad experience.

Your last e-mail is of course a pretty direct personal attack upon my teacher and upon my school. You accuse him of not wanting to teach, of sending someone out to personally attack you and hurt your back (for what reason we don't know), of teaching criminals and deviants, of giving out grade too slowly, of charging you for it (Which is true and was always true in my time there. But grade is given out slowly enough it certainly isn't much of an economic issue.), of not coming up to your standards as a Christian. That's lot on the plate.

I won't even bother to grace most of it.

I will say this though. I am one of the fellows who got their blackbelts and was there in the early 1990s as was Austin (who also uses his real name when he posts), but I'm thinking you trained later as Young-ho wasn't a senior then.

People will see very few high grades in Master Hwang's school as they will see very few high grades in BJJ schools which have a similarly tough grading procedure. It certainly isn't because people don't hang around. People come and people go as in any school but there is a core of hard training people who dedicate themselves and stick to training.

About a year ago Cortney Campbell, an African Canadian who was also there when you were there (and before), was awarded his blackbelt. Although he took a few years off of training he's been there for a good 15+ years of training. Primarily interested in improving his fighting skills for a long time he never really pursued rank or practised the upper level techniques required to gain it. Some people don't need rank to feel good about themselves.

I'm not sure how many people who were in there last week have been there more than 8 or 10 years but the number is quite high. Gus recently returned to training who was my senior when I joined the school. That was in 1986. So it is not like people don't stay and find worth in something that you did not.

I joined the club because it was rough. I wanted to learn real fighting skills. I walked into the school and saw Gus back kick a fellow off his feet up into the air and land on his keister. The fellow (Dean, I believe) jumped up and went straight back into the fray. I liked the fact that in the era of sport karate they were fighting with heavy contact and allowing for the different ranges of fighting, striking standing grappling and throwing, groundfighting with minimal rules. I didn't go there to be 'safe'. I'd have been a fool to. I have eyes. I thought "I'm scared of these guys! This where I should join!"

I had injuries there, but fewer than the judo players and far fewer than the football players I know in the amount of time I spent there. Heck, you can't even play football for that many years!

I don't dispute the fact that you feel you had a bad experience there and feel badly done by. You obviously feel this to be true. Nothing I say or do is going to change that, so I won't try. I'll just point out the fact that many have had different experiences to your own.

As for anonymous personal attacks on the internet I can't help but feel that you could have couched your feelings and shared your experience in a fashion that is much worthier of yourself and the kind of person we all aspire to be, be we Christians or otherwise.

10. austinso

austinso Valued Member

Hmmm...all I can say that I have had nothing but the best experience with Master Hwang and his school. I first started training at his school in the early/mid 1990s, and moved from Toronto about 9 years ago. I continue to receive training tips from his school from my seniors and former juniors who are now my seniors when I visit, and have never felt unwelcome. And when I train, people always want to know where I learned to kick or punch or move.

The training and work ethic is intense and sorely missed. Sure it stank. Sure it was grungy. But no one cared because all we were interested in was training.

And yes I have gotten injured. I had a cracked skull from a roundhouse kick. I had a shin bruise that caused my whole leg to swell up. And I had one of my testicles hit so hard that I had to go to the hospital to get it checked out (I still don't know if it "works"...but two kids later it certainly ain't broke). When I dropped by 3 years ago, I tore my ankle apart, after I got thrown around like a ragdoll. But it was all part of the learning process. I don't blame anyone...least of all Master Hwang.

Like Matt says, the school is not for everyone...and clearly it wasn't for you.

Austin

P.S. Hey are you the numbnut who liked to go in front of City Hall and call for the death penalty for homosexuals? Are you *still* trying to overcompensate for your latent homosexuality? I always thought you were a bit "off"...not that there's anything wrong with it...

11. shadow warrior

shadow warrior Valued Member

Speaking as the ONLY black belt from Master Hwang's school who has run their own Eagle Hapkido school under him; (entertained Master Hwang and his wife for dinner and family [minister included] at my cottage); (organized seminars for him, travelled with him); I got to know the man and his school very well and I am in a unique position to say that Master Hwang is a "one of a kind".

I have been in direct competition with his school from the day we signed our business agreement in 1990, through the separation of our partnership until today.

He taught me countless Hapkido skills which helped to keep me alive through the last couple of years I was active in the investigation business. In addition (by using his own students as examples), he helped me to further understand the differences between and how to recognize leaders and followers. I try to pass these skills onto my students and Black Belts.

As much as some people would like to control the opinions of former students of Eagle Hapkido they should be free to express their experiences in whatever way they feel is appropriate. All I can do is listen to them if they approach me and determine if they are the type of student I want at my school.

Over the years I have accepted about half of those former students who have expressed an interest in training at my school. Their stories for leaving that school are as varied as the students themselves.

The bottom line is:

NO martial arts school is for EVERYONE!

SOME martial arts schools are for a FEW!

Nothing more, nothing less!

My personal experiences at Eagle Hapkido were related to professional development and not relavent to the general student of that school.

The thing which I do find quite strange however, is a person defending one school as THE BEST while running their own school interests and sending their own son to third school (complete with a testimonial signed as an assistant instructor of the first school). This is a proven business tactic which is designed to generate business for the third school which is in direct competition with the first school they are defending. Now that is funny!

If the first school has the best teacher known and is therefore the greatest school on the face of the planet what gives? The irony is priceless.

Business is business and people usually get fired for that type of behavior.

Keith Stewart
    Head Instructor
    East West Hapkido
    www.eastwesthapkido.com

12. austinso

austinso Valued Member

Do you really need to take personal swipes when they are uncalled for, Keith?

I was training there when you were affiliated with Master Hwang, so there a few things I remember (e.g. did you mention to anyone how many students stayed with you after you broke off from Eagle Hapkido?).

No one here is trying to control people's opinions...but when people resort to slander (even veiled), that kinda steps over a line, don't you think?

Or is that "business is business" for you?

Austin

13. MJR

MJR Valued Member

If you wish to say something about me then say it, Keith, and name it.

I am not personally in the martial arts business. I run a small training group of my own for my own convenience and train only a handful of fellows. I run it non-profit and receive nothing for doing so. I still keep in touch and train at Master Hwang's to keep touch with my teacher and show respect and workout with my old friends. I was teaching there today as a matter fact.

I don't recall saying my teacher's school was better than anyone else's in the post but perhaps you can read things that are not there. Master Hwang is the best teacher I have had and is equal in caliber to other higher ranked teachers whose technqies I have experienced. If you disagree with that go ahead but do it with your own words.

That you keep track of where I send my son to train I find creepy. Omar and Beverley Salvosa are people I have known for years and Omar is a very highly skilled Brazilian jiujitsu teacher under Marco Soares. My son goes there because they have a really wonderful methodology for teaching and a great atmosphere for children! Part of that is due to Omar BJJ skills part of it from the fact that Beverley is an elementary school teacher who understands teaching for this age group.

Master Hwang neither teaches nor has a kid's class at the moment. My son attended there in the past when they had one. He'll attend again in the future when he is older if it he has the opportunity.

As for conflicts and competition Master Hwang is simply not so insecure to care about such matters.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  14. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

i can not speak to this question directly as i joined the club shortly after the split, i CAN say however that we do presently have a number of students who left eagle for one reason or another.

15. JRT

JRT New Member

The types of martial arts schools available are as diverse as the goals of those who get involved in martial arts and as such, each and every schhool is best suited to a specific type of student. I have been a student of Master Hwang's for the past 8 years and can agree that like all schools, Eagle is not for everyone, but it was for me. I recall my first teacher (prior to Master Hwang) advised me not to train with Master Hwang as it would only lead to injury. I remember being told that that type of training was not suitable for "these times". His rationale was that he had students that were lawyers "and they couldn't show up in court the next day with a black eye". I knew then that Eagle would be the school for me. I was interested in learning how to fight, not practice law. Perhaps eagleeyes is a lawyer, I don't know.

The only prejudice I have ever seen displayed by Master Hwang is to those who he believes is not giving %100 while there are training. I have been the object of this prejudice several times over the years. The good thing is this prejudice is shown on a daily basis. The days I work hard, He has worked with me, the days I am not, he does not work with me at all. When I "sweat" I have always been treated with fairness and respect. We have high ranking belts from all backgrounds, black, white, asian, indian, middle eastern, etc. In my 8 years I have had injuries here and there but I see Eagle students as athletes, and I know of no athlete in a sport for 8 years without injury.

Though I could, through the description of my experiences at Eagle, put forth an opposing argument to every point that eagleeyes has made, I won't bore anyone with that. The purpose of this post was to ensure that anyone who may be interested in Eagle does not lose that interest due to eagleeyes' post. It was obviously not for him, but it may be for you. The colored belts I have trained with over the years have become more than training partners (and there are many colored belts there). Hard training creates a unique bond, and Eagle is hard training.

If you want religion, go to church. If you want comfort, go to a spa. If you want constant encouragement and "go get'em tiger" speech everyday, go to your mom I suppose. I go to Eagle to learn hapkido from an excellent teacher, and when I go in and give %100 percent, that is what I get back from both Master Hwang and his seniors. Again, not saying its the best, but the best I have been to and it is not for everyone, but is for me and many others. I am sure there are shools out there that go as hard and harder then we do and there are students that were not happy at those schools either.

Concering shadowwarriors post, this is obviously a personal issue for you has no place in a public forum. I am quite sure MAP's members around the world are not terribly interested in where Mathew's kids are training. The intelligence and fairness of MJR's posts is the best reflection of his character and in my opinion do not need defending. I think we are probably boring readers when these posts spiral into personal attacks that no one except those involved will understand anyway.

Sincerely,
    Jason Taylor

16. KoreanWarrior

KoreanWarrior Valued Member

Dangerous training methods

I think that sparring without gear is stupid. You can get just as skilled using protective gear. From those east west videos its rather clear that the seniors like to hurt the junior belts. Even the UFC uses safety gear. When someone gets killed then that school will be closed and gone.

Everyone don't be fooled into thinking that the only way to get real skills is to do this bare knuckled crap. Blind leading the blind.
    IMO

that's my ten cents

17. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

a. those are tests.

b. in 6-7 years the club has been open no one has been seriously hurt.

c. out belts are stuctured differently than most clubs so the yellow belts you see actually often have 2-3 years of training. i am orange and i have 4.5 years of training.

d. you can feel free to discuss my instructor's training and background with him before you make ignorant statement like, *the blind leading the blind.*

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  18. Paul d

Paul d New Member

Just an introduction…
    I have been a student of Master Hwang's from way back in the early eighties and still train there. (Hello Matt & Austin) I am a person of colour, black, African decent, (whatever floats your boat,) and I have never found Master Hwang to be a racist in any way shape or form. I have been to his home numerous times, and shared meals with hime and his family, so your statement is a crock…

As far as you alluding to him being a con man… There have been times in my life when I was going through hard times and couldn’t afford to pay dues, so I stopped coming to the club. Master Hwang would call me at home and insist that I come back regardless of the money. I know first hand he has done this for others as well. If he were such a money grubbing con man, wouldn’t he have a million Black Belts and a large assortment of “multi-colour” belts, so he could collect all those testing fees? (BTW The testing fee has been in place since I joined way back when.) He does not advertise, hold tournaments, have trophy’s, special uniforms, fancy equipment, etc, to generate revenue. (No offence meant or judgment placed on any other clubs) And yes, he needs to pay his rent and feed his family, but he does this for the pure love of it, and obviously not for the money.

As far as being passed off to his seniors… Did you expect private lessons? It is a part of the learning process for both the senior and the junior, and Master Hwang always oversaw what was being shown. (Basics) It also helped in forming the friendships and bonds between students. In the old days we weren’t allowed to talk, and were given one thing to work on, and went of into a corner and sweated until you were given more. If you didn’t sweat you were sent home. (Much like the training mentioned in a post before) Things have changed over the years, but the core is still the same. It is a family. Train and sweat hard, and give 100% when you are there, and Master Hwang will do likewise.

The comment about checking belts to see who is still around. Many train without wearing their belts, and there are many there who have trained for years and have what would be considered lower ranking belts, but are quite skilled at their craft. So a very poor way of trying to measure the potential of a club. I have been to clubs where there have been a dozen Black Belts, all walking around like proud roosters. Very impressive looking to a newbie, but when it came down to actual training… None of them new what sweat was. ( No offense meant to those of you who are dedicated, and train with passion) This is not a belt oriented club, and has never been. Although it is an honour to receive a belt from Master Hwang, it is not the goal. We are there to learn, and once you have been there for a while, you quickly set you ego aside along with the need to compare, mark, and measure, and it becomes a personal journey.

Funny how it is so easy to blame the teacher. Perhaps the student needs to take a closer look at himself? IMHO Master Hwang’s teaching abilities and patience are in direct proportion to the effort and sweat of the student. He has really good eyes, and although you might not know it, he sees what you are doing, and how much effort you are putting into it.

I posted because I felt that people needed to know the facts when reading this, and the expectations placed upon Master Hwang by e…eyes were childish. I just wanted to add to what Matt and Austin had so eloquently articulated.

Paul

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  19. shadow warrior

shadow warrior Valued Member

Missed all points.

The martial arts business has grown many times over in the thirty years I have been training in Hapkido. The number of schools and styles around seems to double every fews years, while the percentage of the population at large who train in martial arts remains about the same.
    My point about competition is that, ANY person engaged in the training of people in martial arts are de facto in competition with ALL other people engaged in that activity. This situation has absolutely nothing to do with how certain people in the business might feel personally about it, or what if any renumeration someone would receive in return! This is a fact. To deny this would deny the basic premise of free market business and logic. The only other explanation is that they are incredibly naive.

People who drift from one school to another are very common and leave schools for a diverse set of reasons. This is one of the reasons I screen all of my students. Sometimes, students have a very bad experience of one type or another and become quite angry about it.

Although I do not defend comments directed at instructors which are over the top ( crossing the line to slander), I myself have been slandered by certain individuals who have their own agendas and absolutely no facts on which to base their opinions. This is part of the price you pay when you lead. It is much safer to be a follower (sheep, second fiddle) and let someone else take the brunt of whatever comes down the road. Leaders are born, not made. Just ask Master Hwang himself.

My point is and has always been, there is a school for everyone.

I have the highest regard for Master Hwang's Hapkido skills. Just as I do for my other instructors especially Master Chung Kee Tae (who at one time was one of Master Hwang's best friends). I also have immense respect for Master C. S. Kim who is the best twisting Hapkido technique person I have ever met.

Unlike other individuals in their zeal to establish themselves, I have never or ever will expressed any details of Master Hwang's business dealings (ficticious or actual number of students, for example) on a public forum. This is a small part of a verbal deal I still have in force with Master Hwang. I still respect and dilligently protect him in this way. Nor will I address enquiries from anyone, never mind junior students (who have zero knowledge of the facts), aimed at my business on ANY public forum. These behaviors give competitors an advantage for free!

ALL Hapkido (martial arts in general) schools are run differently, reflecting the vision of the person in charge.

To bring this thread back to topic.

Eagle Hapkido is a place for those who enjoy it and find challange and value in training there. This can be said of any school where a need is being addressed. Whether one school provides this, or another, or another, it is up to students to decide which type of school will suite their needs.

PS
    *Information is power. I spent more than fifteen years as a professional in the investigation business developing very extensive networks. Most of the information which comes to my attention now does so without ANY input from me. (Hope Master Hwang had fun at his birthday party last week and the reason one senior did not train for some time at Eagle was their pursuit of a black belt at another school).
    People should not flatter themselves with their own inflated sense of self importance. If I was inclined (had a reason) to develop a file about something, it would have to be worth my time! Or, someone (approaches me, pays) me to do it!

Keith Stewart
    Head Instructor
    East West Hapkido
    www.eastwesthapkido.com

20. austinso

austinso Valued Member

I dunno...it would have been better for you not to have engaged in sophistry to explain away your blatant insinuations about a person's integrity...

And whether you are consciously aware of it or not, you have a penchant for placing in certain comments, dropping innuendos, or phrasing things a certain way that does in fact question your assertions that "everything is cool" and that does indeed tarnish Master Hwang and his school.

<A shame too...I, in the very least, regard your school probably among the better schools out there...>

Words obviously well heeded...

Austin

BTW...information is not "power". It is simply a tool...how people wield it pretty insightful don't you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.