Dynamic Stretching: Side Raises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fhil, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mskreis

mskreis Valued Member

I've been doing dynamic stretches now for 1 week. I believe I can see some improvement in all directions. However, when I first start I notice significant pain in my right hip when performing side raises with my left leg. It decreases with each set and by the 4th I don't notice it anymore. What's the source and should I be concerned?

Thanks.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The fact that the pain decreases over the course of the stretching signifies it is most likely not an alignment issue (see previous posts re: tilting the pelvis) but a strength issue in the affected muscles.

What is your current strength training routine like, and have you ever injured the affected muscles?

3. mskreis

mskreis Valued Member

I'm not aware of any prior injury. For strength I've started performing squats, lunges, adductor flys and pulldowns, leg curls, and hamstring pulldowns (I have a Total Gym). What surprises me is that the pain occurs in the supporting leg, not the leg being raised.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kongato,

Missed your post, sorry!

Nothing that leg raises to the front and side won't accomplish.

mskreis,

If you've only started your strength routine recently (three weeks ago or less) you should see the pain subside in about another month. If it persists, consult your doctor.

5. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

This post is old, but I recently began with dynamic stretching again after some lazy period of time.
    I never accomplished doing the side-stretches exactly the way Kurz did them, exactly. But I decided to give them a try again since the stretch #2 above (we do them in our WuShu class every day) only seems to stretch the hamstrings and since my tendons hurt, this is a stretch I would like to avoid from now on).

Kurz do the leg raises like this (left leg, right leg).
    left.jpg

Namnlös.jpg

Question: The most natural thing for me when I ehar of "side-raises" is that I should tilt my pelvis forward, keep my toes forward, and lift me legs straight to the side - just like my legs would shape a symmetrical L.

However, as I drew some green lines on the pictures, Kurz seems to raise the legs "side and slightly BACK".. an angle not really 100% to the side (the green line, most evidently in the right kick). He also looks kind of to the back..

I mean, I though the side-raises would be 100% to the side, i.e. parallell angle to the supporting foot/leg as in this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbQXUPFWJQ"]YouTube- Side-to-Side Leg Swings[/ame]

So, are the leg raises to be done like slightly back/side?

Thanks very much for any guidance from anyone :)

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think the only difference between the two videos is the position of the standing foot in relation to the 'swinging' leg. Kurz has his body positioned in a standing front split (that is, his legs are in the same position when doing the dynamic stretches as they would be when doing a front split on the floor). If the individual in the second video turned his/her standing foor out to the side, then he/she would be in the same position also.

Experiment between the two to find which one works for you (i.e. allows you to raise your foot higher without causing you pain in the joints).

7. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

I reviewed Kurz's method once again and now I notice he slightly moves his foot to the side. For me it works like this (method and effect):

- Stretching like the other video (standing foot pointing forward): I hear/feel a silent "pop" when raising the leg, no pain though.

- Stretching like in our Wushu (complete pivot, heel in a straight line to the foot): Almost no stretch in the adductors, only on my hamstrings.
    SANY0772.JPG
    (red area = where I feel most stretch: hamstring)

Somewhere in between (pivoting a little): No "pop", no "hamstring stretch, as it should be :) Trial and error done, this is the Kurz' method I believe.

Thanks for all the advice :)