Dynamic Strength training for Judo

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I was thinking of changing the focus of my weight/strength training to more compliment my Judo, so thinking about movements which model some of the actions in setting up for throws, completing them and agility for pin holds/escapes. Any suggestions welcome.

I'll kick off with Power Clean, or just Cleans which I did on Monday, some more experienced Judoka are really heavy and awkward when turtled during Newaza and you can't get an entry for turnover

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Different kinds of pull-ups, for the obvious reasons of pulling your opponent towards you in various directions.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the leg press and/or low-bar back squat (because of hip drive) might somewhat mimick the lifting action of hip throws, but i wouldn't know for sure. might be worth experimenting with.

also, dragon flags/body levers for ab work.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

In terms of squatting, I'd say front squats. They'd improve your cleans, emphasize the right kind of posture for your throws, improve lower body flexibility, and be good for your midsection.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'd say work your throwing dummy. They aren't terribly heavy the first few reps. But by rep 15 they weight about 10,000X more. :D

You're working the in a similar type motion - so good carry over to actual throws. I'd say for Judo in terms of something you can do on DB's/Oly Bar/Kettlebells try hitting your power cleans/deadlifts/squat variations. I'd go with a mixture of all three methods (DB/Oly/KB) because you can get in your single sided/arm variations. I'd also suggest you get in some time with powerbags or awkward unstable bags (bags with shifting innards) for power cleans.

6. Princess Haru

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

This week I have done Power Cleans, Squats, Chin Ups. I am limited by what kit is available in a mainstream chain gym, they have some medicine balls but not all that heavy tbh, kettlebells, heavy rubber tubes (the heaviest is 12kg) I used one as a replacement for a foam roller.

Looking over at other stuff I've done in the past: Glute Bridges, Barbell Rotations/Landmines? TGUs

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You can do figure of eight rotations above your head if you can find large plates with hand grips on them. The act of lifting off to one or the other side with both hands is in some ways like lifting someone/taking them off to the side to throw them, Seen th used by both judoka and greco wrestlers. Does this make sense??

LFD

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just remembered this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5--7oo1l3D8"]Standing abs exercise - YouTube[/ame]

if you can jury rig it with something, it might be pretty useful, maybe also if modified to be sorta like the band uchi komi drill that a lot of people do.

9. Princess Haru

There are plates upto 25kg with holes in them, so should be able to try this:D

10. Princess Haru

I've got a blue band I can try that with, not at the weight he's using though. Still need to develop my motor skills on the throws during Uchi Komi, so light resistance. I think my left elbow injury in December was partly trying too hard on one side and not pushing up with the right in time, so this is something I must be careful with and correct. When guys are showing throws its often with an action that just isn't as practical for girls in some cases, Osoto Gari being the most obvious.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Outside the modern gym environment, there are many equipments that can be used to "enhance" your throwing skill. In the modern gym, there are 3 machines that I find to be helpful in throwing art "enhancement".

This one can help you to develop "arms rotation (such as Hiza Guruma, Yoko Guruma, ...)" if you use one hand to push one end and use the other hand to pull the other end.

[​IMG]

This one can help you to develop "leg lifting (Uchi Mata)", "leg blocking (Ashi Guruma)", and "front cut (Osoto Gari)" if you use your low back leg to lift the weight when you drop your head down.

[​IMG]

This one can help you to develop "downward pulling (Uki Otoshi)", "shoulder throw (Morote Seoinage)", and "footwork" if you use your body weight to pull (not just using your arms to pull as showing in the picture).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I may had posted this here before. For less than $10, you can make yourself a single head like this at home. If you make it less than 30 lb, it's called "heaven weight" that you can use it to throw over your head. If you make it more than than 30 lb, it's called "earth weight" that you can use it to drag along the ground or not too high above the ground.

Heaven weight:

[​IMG]

Earth weight

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  13. Princess Haru

^ Not really practical since I live in a flat not much bigger than a shoebox on the third/top floor of a building, and don't have much beyond a screwdriver, certainly nowhere to store tools let alone build heavy home made exercise kit and a large part of why I do my training at a gym (not that you'd know this of course)

14. Jhons

Jhons New Member

This is a good decision made by you,judo is also a very good source getting energy i mean the way we get from exercise/training.
    You should definitely go for it its gonna help you a lot in gaining strenth and stamina.All the best

Orlando personal training

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  15. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Deadlifts, squats and power cleans should be your mainstays. Look at any competition judo player worth their salt and you will notice they have a big ass - this isn't an accident. As far as squats go, it depends on your game. Ura nage is my tokui waza so back squats are a mainstay for me. I'm also big on the one leg throws so split squats are also on my program. If you were more of a seoinage player you'd lean towards front squats.

WORK YOUR BACK. You should be doing as many variations on back exercises as you can. Rows, good mornings, deads, cleans, chin ups, rear delt rows etc. Judo is such a back dominant sport - apart from the fact that you need it for balance and kuzushi, having a strong back stops you getting bent over and dominated by other players. If you can work up to (and get your hands on) a 48kg kettlebell and do swings with that, you get amazing results.

Don't discount bench press either, it can be very useful for getting people off you in groundwork.

At the end of the day, you should focus on building a strong body from the ground up first. A beginner powerlifting program is a good way to go. Then when you are hitting some good benchmarks start tailoring your weight program more to judo.

Oh, and if you have a cable machine, wood chops are amazing both for your core and for the crossover to throwing.

16. shouldercarge

shouldercarge Valued Member

Squat 3x5 bench 3x5 dead lift 1x5 one day
    F/squat 3x5 over head press 3x5 chin up 3xf another

You will gain a lot of strength without draining your energy levels too much and interfering with judo.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So basically, just do the Starting Strength routine. I think she was specifically looking for exercises though, not really routines.

18. Princess Haru

That's pretty much it, I think my current DOMS is partly related to doing a program plus another full workout on top just of targetted exercises. When for training I need to think this through a bit more. As a woman swinging a Kettlebell nearly the same weight as me is probably only going to lead to an injury. Again pointing to the male bias in MAP. Come on guys, engage brain. Though you are spot on about Front Squat vs Back Squat, and probably worth keeping within a weight that can be lifted to speed. I do have a tendency to put my back into Seoi Nage more than my knees, it's almost a problem I need to train out with lots of band Uchi Komi and moderate weight Front Squat. I've been working my KB Snatch too for shoulder and core stability.

Incidentally what do you Judoka think of this vid?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShOxNF36Oqs"]Explosive Judo Workout - YouTube[/ame]

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Incidentally I was just looking at a workout I did the other day which was more geared towards striking, and actually got an idea for applying it to a Judo-type workout. I haven't gotten to try it yet, but I think it would work out well.

Do all of the exercises in a circuit, try to do as many circuits as you can in 20 minutes.

(1) Power clean, 3-5 reps
    (2) Pull-ups, 1 or 2 reps short of a max set
    (3) Turkish get-ups, 1-2 per side
    (4) Judo push-ups, 10-15 reps
    (5) Uchikomi with bands, 10-15 reps per side

20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

chest flys-standing upright, bent over(so you're looking at the floor while standing), inclined on a bench. dumbell/barbell shrugs. Overhead press. Leg curl. Leg press. Every core and back exercise you can find. Ankle flexions while standing on a step and on the leg press. Pull ups. As many push up variations as you can find. (ETA: Life Fitness sells some great equipment if you have room for big things)