Dust off your Monkey.

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by DAnjo, Jun 22, 2006.

1. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

In the latest issue of Black Belt Magazine, there is an article where Steve Demasco (Of USSD fame) and his cohort Charlie Mattera (Also of USSD) will be getting together with Aikido movie star Steven Seagal and the Shaolin Abbot to determine who will be the next Shaolin monk in a reality show.

The contestants will compete doing various animal forms and then they will be voted on to see who will represent the Shaolin temple to the world.

If anyone had any lingering doubts about the modern Shaolin monks being government stooges and phonies, they should be laid to rest now.

Come on guys! Dust off that Monkey Form and tell us: Who wants to be the next Shaolin Monk?

2. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

so this reality show, will it be on a respectable network or espn 8? when will it be out?

3. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I read that article too, it's going to be a joke, I am going to give it a chance, just cuz I enjoy reality shows and the martial arts so I'll hope for the best...but verbal interviews and a few forms hardly show what someones fighting skills are...I really think it's making a gimmick/joke out of Shaolin.

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Good grief! Is nothing sacred any more? Its just not right to put everything on a reality show - personally I am concerned it may ridicule a very prominent style and all for the wrong reasons.

It will make a mockery of all the hard work and training they have done for themselves and other people they represent.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Put your fears aside Melanie. If Steven Seagal is involved, you know it will be of high quality! Just like his acting! :D

6. bonita

bonita Valued Member

I agree!

7. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I'm still waiting for "Who wants to be the next Dalai Lama?" show or "Who wants to Marry the Prime Minister?"

8. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I think this confirms any and all of my doubts regarding the quality and presence of Buddhism at the Shaolin 'temple'. Creating your own reality show seems to be about as far from renouncing the material world as I can imagine. Next they're be setting up chains of "Shaolin Liquour Stores, Butcher Shops, and Whorehouses!" (tm).
    Seriously. From now on, Shaolin no longer gets to be called a temple. It's just "Shaolin" or "the Shaolin martial arts academy" or "The Shaolin place". At this rate, it'll be the "Shaolin Corporation" and the Abbot will have his title changed to CEO.

9. octopic

octopic New Member

Here's the link to the contest:

http://www.kstarinternational.com/

They went all out and built a one page website for this great contest! The application is great, make sure to read it. One of the high points is that the application deadline is after the notification of selection date. They must really be kung fu masters! They can tell you that you're selected even before you apply!

10. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

ROFLMAO...absolute classic... Hahahaha

Thats it - its in me sig right away...

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

They need to get Dana White of Ultimate Fighter/ UFC President fame in to give them all his inimitable pep-talk. "DO YOU WANNA BE A *BLEEPING* MONK?!"

12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Here it is:

K-Star 2006
    First International Kung-Fu Star Reality Show Competition
    North America Regionals
    Los Angeles, California July 14- July 15

The Shaolin Temple teams up with IronPond Entertainment and Shenzhen Satellite TV to find the next male international Kung-Fu Star of the world!!!

Do you have what it takes
    to be the next Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, or Jet Li?

Mandatory requirements to apply: Complete the application and send it along with one still photo of you, 4 x 6 less than 3 months old, and one action photo of you.

A DVD or VHS tape of your kung-fu skills is recommended.

Video Tape Instructions:
    A short video clip (no longer than 5 minute in length) of you performing Chinese martial arts. We want to remember you, so wow us and dazzle us!
    • No sparring or kickboxing
    • Tell us who you are and why you would like to be the next kung-fu star of the world
    • Explain how you got into the martial arts
    • Describe one memorable martial arts experience

Send application and tapes by June 28, 2006 to:
    Attn: K-Star - Casting
    The Piacente Group, Inc.
    475 Park Avenue South, 5th Fl.
    New York, NY 10016
    virginia@thepiacentegroup.com

DON’T MISS YOUR CHANCE TO PERFORM IN FRONT OF PRESTIGIOUS MARTIAL ARTS MASTERS, WORLD RENOWNED MARTIAL ARTS AND ACTION FILM STARS, AND A TELEVISED AUDIENCE!!!

If you are interested in sponsorship opportunities, please contact Brandi Piacente at 212-481-3015 or E.E. Wang at 310-322-2525 for further information.

I also like how the Shaolin Temple now has their own corporate logo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  13. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

that's very laughable about this whole reality contest! will this be televised? if it is, i'd like to watch it.

14. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

This certainly sound awful. And Seagal knows what about Kung Fu?

15. FightingMonk2k3

i thought he did combat aikido, but then again, he might know something about Kung Fu.

16. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

didn't the site say it's actually open to any chinese martial art not just Kung Fu?

The name could easily be being used for marketing as it's one of the most generically recognizable "martial art" style names.

17. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I think you're bit confused there. "Kung Fu" or "Gung Fu" ARE the generic terms meaning "Skill" and it can be applied to everything that requires hard work and skill. "Chuan Fa" which roughly translates to "Fist Way" is the more common name for what we term the Chinese martial arts. "Wu Shu" is another generic name that means "Martial Art" but it is usually associated with the more acrobatic stuff from the Chinese Opera etc. that we see now.

18. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Here's an email I just recieved:

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:04:11 -0600 (MDT)
    From: update@martialartsmart.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    To: update@martialartsmart.net
    Subject: Be part of Shaolin Temple KSTAR kung fu reality show

[​IMG]

Would you like to be a part of the studio audience for the Shaolin Temple KSTAR kung fu reality show? should be larger and bold red fonts. Also highlight Call Norma Futini at 925-858-7976, or email nfutini@comcast.net

Brought to you by the Friends of Shaolin, a special branch of the non-profit organization, the Tiger Claw Foundation. For more information, visit www.tigerclawfoundation.org.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  19. FightingMonk2k3

is the sitcom going to be aired on TV weekly or aired in general on a daily basis or what?

20. Red J

Red J New Member

I just hope that no one shows up and does the "jackass" form. Then again, that would have some entertainment value. :D