Dumb bells: Stability ball vs. traditional bench

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by iolair, Aug 25, 2005.

1. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Anyone here experimented with a stability ball for dumbbell workouts ... they're meant to be good for building up your core/supporting muscles. I gather you're unlikely to lift as much weight, but it probably gives you a more useful workout, in terms of being able to apply the strength.

Any thoughts?

e.g. http://www.stevejordanperformance.com/exercise0302.htm

2. ember

ember Valued Member

I've used mine for just that purpose - why buy two pieces of equipment?

I haven't quite gotten in the habit of lifting regularly, and so far my dumbells are in the 5lb or less weight, so I don't have recommendations on it's limitations.

3. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I've fiddled with it on my ball but I want to use weight heavier that would be safe.

4. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Dont bench on a ball.

Its a prime example of the "fuctional training" crowd has gone mad. Its fashion really. Doing everything on med-balls is so hip and cool these days but really, you dont need it for everything.

Not all exercises are about stabilizing your core. Theres enough ab involvement in a regular bench anyway.

And that site looks like crap really.

5. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I do it sometimes with light DBs when the gym is busy and I can't get a bench - but usually not.

6. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I had a friend who's a navy seal and he uses one to do dumbell squats on.
    Of course,it's the sturdiest one you can find and he weighs about 128lbs soaking wet!
    But he uses a moderate weight with the the dumbells and recommends it highly for balance and core strength training,GREAT for the obliques!

7. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

But you've got to think how functional doing a bench on a balance ball would be to an action in real life. You still can't go in the opposite direction than that to you're pushing, so it's not much like pushing something whilst standing.

Some exercises are really useful to do on that though imo, especially the squats on it, ultimate for balance if you can do it without hurting yourself :D

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Unstable surface training is a fad which used to be reserved for rehab, now commonly used by idiots who think using tiny weights on an unstable surface will make them "functional". Stability ball pressing isn't actually that bad though because you can use a significant weight. Makes a nice change anyway.

9. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

Some guy on another board I go to can bench reps on a ball with 120-lb. dumbbells, but that's only because the max dumbbell weight in his gym is 120 lbs! He would be using more if possible. And he's a really smart guy when it comes to weight training, so I trust that benching on a stability ball is worthwhile. Also like McG said it would be great for a switch up.