Dude! Olympic Karate Kumite is awesome!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Combat Sports, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I just watched the highlights and this sport is wild! They are doing high amplitude Judo throws combined with striking. I am glad it got added to the Olympics and now I wish I was able to watch all of it.

Grond, axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  2. Phil Lewis

Phil Lewis Member

Yeah it’s good viewing.

Unfortunately, it’s possibly the first and last time it’ll be in the Olympics.

France 2024 have dropped it, in favour of - get this - break dancing!

axelb likes this.
  3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

It might be borderline watchable if they made it a foul to turn your back on your opponent.

4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I was enjoying it until.......They also awarded the guy that got knocked out...the gold medal. I understand rules, I understand safety, but that's plain silly. Also I think in the rules of Olympic TKD if you knock your opponent out you win... I' totally confused

Mitch and axelb like this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Yes that last match was the epitome of rules taking away from the essence of the martial art.

As it happened I looked and wondered, what if this is a tactic? They maybe get sparked a bit, but instead of trying to brush it off and carry on like with most combat sports, why not milk it, wait to be carried off by a stretcher they come back later for the gold on the podium. When you're down on points this seems like a valid rule bending tactic.

On the other hand we know how you can land a low power shot at the right angle and it can knock out. Add into this the opponent was leaning down into the kick hands down.

The rest of the matches were enjoyable to watch. But Karate won't be back again as break dancing will be in its place for Paris 2024.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Paris 2024. I'm making a comeback. :D SmartSelect_20180822-205931_Instagram.jpg

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

Skate boarding, surfing, BMX, breaking? I feel like 1980s called and is taking over the Olympics.

Mitch and Simon like this.
  8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

SmartSelect_20181219-074755_Facebook.jpg
    Bring it.

Smitfire and axelb like this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Olympic TKD, which I'm not a great fan of, and which is much derided, has always allowed a win by knockout as far as I know.

There has to be something between those rulesets that will produce a spectator friendly combat sport.

I'm not a fan of Olympic TKD, but if the alternative us a guy winning by charging a kick and getting knocked out, karate isn't the answer either.

axelb likes this.
  10. Xue Sheng

I actually could not watch the Olympic TKD, I tried, a few times. But as far as Olympics go, I was enjoying the Karate, until the KO'd guy got carried off the mat and won the gold medal for it......

I mean if that is all you have to do to get a gold medal.... sign me up for the next Olympics :D

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Boxing got the shaft again this Olympics, coverage wise. That's a shame because there's a lot going on in elite amateur boxing at the Olympic level.

I can't even begin to wonder how you found Olympic karate. Did you have to wake up really early? :D

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The boxing was really good so much better than the old tag touch and don't be touched method, there were some really good matches.

As for the karate, having a contact sport with so little contact and so many stoppages is just strange

Grond likes this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Saw a lot of boxing and the Karate was on in the afternoon in the US, on the east coast. But it was not live

Grond likes this.
  14. axelb

UK coverage was only for sports that had TeamGB or Ireland on BBC. Even then it was often highlights.
    Europsport had much of the same.

I signed up on the Discovery plus UK subscription for a trial to view more of it, which was basically Eurosport and some other streams, so I could watch all events, but annoying to have to pay a subscription for it.

Channel 4 is covering Paralympics, in the past their coverage has been good.

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I support the kick knockout result. You can’t let people win by disabling an opponent with an illegal technique. Otherwise you create perverse incentives. What would happen to boxing if headbutts were illegal but you still win if you head butted an opponent and they couldn’t continue? Same with wrestling and face punches. Since Olympic karate is light contact, knocking out an opponent is just as illegal as an illegal strike.

16. PointyShinyBurn

You absolutely can win this way in boxing if the clash of heads is ruled to be accidental: ABC Regulatory Guidelines – Association of Boxing Commissions, search "technical decision"

Mitlov and Grond like this.
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

The standing fighter would only win if they were already ahead on points.

If they weren't, I'm pretty sure the disabled fighter would win by TKO. Check me on that, but it sounds right in my head. An accidental head butt that disables either fighter, technical decision goes to the scorecards at that time.

A DQ win going to a downed fighter based on an illegal strike should be common sense. If it's ruled no fault, it goes by score since the fight is officially over.

19. PointyShinyBurn

No, they'd win or lose by technical decision, or the bout would be a "No Decision" i.e. a draw if it hadn't gone long enough.

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Technical decision based on the judges scorecards at the time of the KO, right? So if the downed fighter was ahead, he wins even if unconscious.

Kind of a theoretical, I can't think of a single bout where this actually happened.