Drinking while in Combat

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sbucks74, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

Apart from Drink-Driving, Drug Abuse and all the other silly things people may get up to at the week-ends. Here's a question and be truthful with a straight anwer.
    How much alchohol can you personally drink before the beer/shorts/shots get you in-effective for a ruck, and your own personal hang-over cure?:cool:

2. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

Best is 14 Pints and 13 JD's. God I was a mess. That kebab never had a chance.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Now none :D thanks to a medical condition I don't really drink past the odd pint now and then.

4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I very seldom drink. I like the taste of very few drinks and can afford (at least, justify spending what they cost on drinks) even fewer :p

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Drugs?

Well I took a Sildenafil and almost took a poor girls eye out once, does that count?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. Hatamoto

I did ninjutsu while on antidepressants once, that was interesting lol

7. Dead_pool

Was the class that bad?

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That's understandable......

:D

9. Manga

Manga Moved On

Possibly the most male thread ever started on MAP :rolleyes:

Phwoar we supped some pints the neet eh lads? And wooar curreh ne'er stood a chance like what with mah belleh like an concrete hippo an that. Nee won fancy a kebab?

Honestly, why not whip them out in the showers and start measuring? Maybe flex a few biceps while you're at it?

10. Dead_pool

I think I win with the most male post on the most male thread:

Sex, Drink, Drugs and women, Thats why I started martial arts.

11. Hatamoto

Got a lot worse when the side effects kicked in :S

12. Almack

Almack Almack

You should be on dialysis after drinking that much, let alone trying to manage a kebab!! :)

13. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Greasy spoon > Hangover FTW

14. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

That was the short day session. 7PM till 3AM LOL:cool::cool::cool:

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Why I've seen some guys do their best work after a pint or twelve. They might barf all over the place but they really put their hearts into it.

16. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

If you can't perform martial arts accordingly after a few or many drinks (for those of you that drink on occasion), then why do you practice to defend yourself? Only when you are sober? BTW, you sweat mor in the AM after drinking when you train, so be sure to also drink plenty of water before, during, and after training. It helps if you can drink water while taking cover from two or more assailants.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I wouldn't drive after a few (or any in fact) drinks, but I still learned how to. I wouldn't cycle after a few drinks, but it's still a handy skill.

It helps if instead of taking cover from two or more assailants, you leg it in the first place and worry about drinking to solve the dehydration later. Priorities man.

18. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    I might be able to leg it, but my grandmother may not be able to keep up with me after a few drinks as well. Of course, depending on how much I drank I may not be able to keep up with her!

It's not that you're drinking to train, it's just that martial arts sometimes transcends what takes place in the dojo, and sometimes outside the dojo martial artists may drink.

This should not affect their ability to focus and perform martial arts, or defend theirselves or their loved ones. Are we only martial artists when we walk through the dojo / gym doors? Or are we martial artists?

19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

To the OP...I can drink to the point of oblivion (though seldom do), and I rarely, if ever have hangovers. I have learned that certain kinds of beer though will give me a hangover, so I avoid those.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Where'd the grandmother come into it? My only point was that during a fight trying to take cover in order to take a drink of water is not the best of ideas. Function with what you've got.

Who was talking about drinking to train? You were talking about taking cover in a fight in order to drink water. In a fight, there's better things to do than try and pause for a glass of water.

Martial artists aren't some special breed who are immune to vices or loss of self-control. Someone is a martial artist if they do a martial art. Someone is a cyclist if they cycle. Someone is a driver if they drive. It's just a label. Whether it's a way of life or not is purely up to the individual, but just because it isn't someone's entire life does not stop them being a martial artist.