Dream bout...

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Cool As, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Cool As

Cool As Valued Member

When Couture was commentating, he said that "the only fighter that comes close to being bullet proof was Fedor Emelienko...".

Having seen the way Couture smashed Gonzaga though, I can't help wonder if Fedor came to UFC, how would he fare agaist The Natural? I'm not sure who I'd back, and I like both of them but if it came down to it I'd say it'd be Fedor by decision!

I was personally hoping for a Cro Cop/Couture showdown, but unfortunately Gonzaga put an end to that.

Any thoughts?

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

couture by cut stoppage, round 2.

3. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I've decided never to bet against Captain America. I've lost too much money.

Generally speaking I think Fedor would usually win with an armbar or ground and pound from the top against anybody of any caliber. But like I said I never bet against Randy Couture.

It's a toss up between the Russian experiment and Captain America.

4. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

randy is human tho, as he has lost before, fedor on the other hand.....

5. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

.....is cyborg......

6. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

so it's the Russian experiment vs. Captain America...
    the Russian guy seems like he's unbeatable...

are we inside Rocky IV?

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Pretty much. Couture's got a shot though - UFC rules allow elbows, Couture's good with elbows, Fedor's a bleeder. It'd suck SO MUCH if that fight ended by cut, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did

8. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

only thing is, Fedor isn't cold-blooded like Ivan Draggo.

9. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

seriously though yes, I do agree that Couture's elbows vs. Fedor's paper skin definitely gives The Natural a good chance. If Matt Lindland (a middleweight) was able to cut Fedor with a punch, I'm pretty sure Randy can with one of his elbows.

On the flipside though, Fedor is Fedor and Couture could easily get submitted, KOed, GNPed, etc.

10. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

actually...are there any videos of randy gettin taken down and being on the bottom? I've never seen that before...(I havn't seen a hell of a lot of randy's fight though btw)

Plus I was discussing this today with my friends but they all say Randy could beat him by doing what he did to Gonzaga by jamming him up against the cage and start beating him there although I said to them I somehow doubt Fedor wouldn't come prepared for that kind of thing

11. Cool As

Cool As Valued Member

That's my thinking. Additionally, Fedor is a tough *******, like when Kevin suplexed him onto his head, it didn't do so much as slow Fedor down!

My mate loves couture though and he reckons it's Couture!

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

All the fights that Couture's spent a considerable time on the bottom, he's lost (well, he lost two of them, the other was possibly the WORST judge call ever). Ricco Rodriguez and Josh Barnett both finished him from this position and Pedro Rizzo beat Couture up pretty badly from the top and to this day I believe he lost that first fight with him
    Whether Couture's improved from his back in all the time that's elapsed since then is tough to say. Common sense says he has - it's been absolutely years - but we've just not seen enough of it to tell

13. spirez

spirez Valued Member

I'm sick of hearing about Fedor to be honest. The UFC have done perfectly well without him for the last few years so why the urgency now? He's only one man and one man does NOT make a sport.

Yeah he may be the best HW but tbh i coudln't care less if he never fights again.

14. jonsey80

jonsey80 Valued Member

if he dies...he dies

(sorry with all the talk of rocky iv i had to get that in there somewere)

15. Fenrir

Fenrir New Member

Because with the PRIDE organization no longer existing he needs to move somewhere else to fight the best in the world.

People are always interested to see who the best in the world is. Just because you dont care doesnt mean that other people dont want to see him fight.

One man doesnt make a sport, but he would give the UFC heavyweight division credibility and integrity as the best heavyweight division in the world. If it wants to be the best organization, it needs the best fighters.

16. Cool As

Cool As Valued Member

Well said

17. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Soooo! The UFC has done well but if you really care about the sport you'd want to see a platform in which the best fighters fight the best to prove who is the best period.

We all thought that would happen with the purchase of pride but it hasn't. Fedor isn't signed. In the LHW division neither is Sokodjou, joined K-1. In the MW division Ninja isn't signed, joined EliteXC. Just to name a few.

With the UFC's us or them attitude with other promotions I see some bad omens. If the UFC doesn't sign Fedor I think it is just going to foreshadow the UFC's inability to pool the best talent.

EliteXC is linking up with every org. on the planet that the UFC can't or won't allow talent to crossover. If this continues we'll be back to square one where we have no idea who the best really is and we'll only see like 2-5 paper champs.

P.S. I think that comparing this dream bout to Rocky IV is A-OK! I purposely called Couture and Fedor, Capt. America and the Russian Experiment for that.

18. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Monopoly is not good for the sport so really, what are you guys on about?

19. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Why's that? Ppl say that, they take it for granted that they don't have to justify the statement but I disagree to some extent.

I don't personally like a few of the UFC's way of doing things right now but I don't think it's bad for the top fighters to fight the top fighters to determine who'd the best. Besides the UFC doesn't yet have a lock on all the top fighters or a method of guranteeing they will continue to gather all the rising game.

That was the whole reason for the existence of the UFC and for that matter Pride and Vale Tudo before that.

Should the UFC tweak a few things, sure but pooling the best together to fight each other is what all MMA fights wanna see or would you prefer they be kept apart by stubborn businessmen and stuck bottomfeeding off of bums?