Dramatic rise in violence against Asians and Pacific Islanders

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aaradia, Feb 28, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There has been a huge rise of violent attacks and overall open bigotry against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders the last few years.

Former President Trump certainly added fuel to the fire by his bigoted statements regarding COVID and the Asian Community. Calling COVID "the China Virus" and "Kung Flu." He certainly empowers racists to act out. But he is only feeding something that already existed.

Another issue is the bigotry is hurting Asian owned businesses.

I am curious to hear from members on here if they are aware of any rises in violence like this where you live? (One of the things I posted below mentions an attack in Paris.)

To paraphrase the sentiment a friend recently posted elsewhere, a lot of people say they appreciate various Asian cultures and what they have given us that enriches our lives (martial arts, manga, food, religion, etc) , but aren't speaking up and supporting the Asian community in this time of crisis.

That got me thinking, a LOT of us here have studied/ or currently study an Asian martial art. I owe a lot of the richness and fullfillment and joy in my life to Chinese Martial Arts. So, I thought this would be a good place to bring some awareness and discussion about what is happening.

And more importantly, what can we do to stem this tide?

I feel a little bit helpless in the face of all the hatred going on against all sorts of groups. I am starting by trying to help bring awareness to the topic where I can. When given choices, I try to make a point to support Asian owned businesses. (Like Asian restaurants and Asian based sellers when on Amazon.)

I am also looking into maybe seeing if I can volunteer to fight voter suppression efforts going on in America - particularly suppression aimed at non-white voters. (This will have to wait until it is safer to volunteer, when COVID is more under control.)

I would speak up if anyone expressed any bigotry around me, but really, I don't have people in my circles who are expressing bigotry.

What else can be done?

‘We’re being scapegoated’: Asians and Asian Americans speak out against spate of violence

Ex-NBA star Jeremy Lin says he's been called 'coronavirus' on the court - CNN Video

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It's very real, it's really concerning, and like you, I'm not really sure what to do to help fight against it.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

It's very sad to see this happening, and it being enabled by bigoted leaders.

I can't say I've seen it as much in the UK, but I don't get out much in the last year, but there has been much more xenophobia than I have seen before in my adult life, here it seems the bulk of it is directed to Muslim countries and Eastern European.

I am not sure what can be done about it, but I know it gets stamped out my people in my friendship circle if they saw it happening.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Now there's been a spree killing at Asian massage parlors and some people still aren't taking the issue seriously. I just can't. This is what happens when people normalize hate speech.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

My wife is Chinese and this all worries me, a lot. I will admit, I pity the fool that comes at my wife straight on, but they never come at you from the front. Luckily, were we live, it is pretty quiet area of the country.

There was an attack yesterday, in San Francisco, where a guy punch a 76 year old Chinese woman in the eye. The woman found a board on the ground, and beat him with it. The guy was taken away, in handcuffs, in an ambulance.

Elderly Asian woman attacked in San Francisco fights back, sends alleged attacker to hospital

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I heard about that. More power to her for putting her attacker down like that...but no person (particularly elderly) should ever have to face the possibility of random attack like that in the first place.

Xue Sheng and axelb like this.