Dr. Yessis's mysterious Olympic lifter study O_o

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Prophet, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

The following study pops up everywhere on the net. I'm starting to question its validity because a quick search (a good 5 minutes) did not find the actuall study.

That one paragraph has some pretty darn bold statements. Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I haven't seen that study but O lifters generally have fantastic jumping ability and do well in a sprint type activity that requires fast twitch movements but that's about all that I can say on that.

(Miss me guys?)

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

yeah, there is no doubt elite oly lifters have mighty impressive verticals. Ive seen countless pictures of them jumping after making a lift, some look darn near 40".

But still, this study is bugging me, I want proof.

( :p, youve only been gone 6 days)

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I've heard something like this before, possibly the same "study". I also believe I read that Dr. Squat's vertical was measured to be around 42 or 43 inches. Stronger folks are generally stronger all around...generally.

(It may have been just 6 days, but it felt like 6 weeks. I missed you bro. :D )

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I think I have actually mentioned that study on here, but I've never been able to find it myself. I think it was the 1964 Olympics or something like that, whenever Mexico had it back then. I for one can easily believe it.

6. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Just a thought that popped into my head reading this thread.....

If it was circa 1964 then wouldn't all those olympic lifters have been cheerfully chomping fistfuls of D-Bol with their cornflakes right up to their events? How would this compare with the habits of jumpers and sprinters back in the same day?

Edit:
    BTW,
    1964 = Tokyo
    1968 = Mexico City
    1972 = Munich (AKA 'The Dianabol Games')

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  7. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I'm a little more skeptical, but I think it might be true, esp if it is from 1964. Back then lifters were the only people lifting, unlike today. I don't imagine the results would be the same across the board if the test was given again today.

One question I thought of- does out-jumping an olympic jumper in terms of vert really prove anything? There isn't a vertical jump event, is there? Most events for jumping involve horizontal distance, not vertical. Olympic lifters, on the other hand, train doing exercises like (jump) squats, essentially boosting their vert. It almost seems like an unfair comparison from the start, doesn't it?

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

There the high jump, but that involves much more technique than just jumping high.

Its the sprinting that impresses me more, I can beleive it because the O lifters will have by far the strongest legs.

Although, after the 25M what do they begin to lose? Do they run out of stamina?

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I would kinda curious after thinking about this for a bit to see an O lifter to outsprint a sprinter. I'm sure there'd be a good run for the money but if the O lifters were out sprinting all the sprinters, certainly the sprinters would get dumped and the oly lifters would be doing double duty.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I believe it's the explosiveness and the response to the start that would win over a short distance. Once they don't have as good technique as the sprinters, they would definitely lose.