downward pressing palm block...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KellyOwens, Jun 23, 2006.

1. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

This move is in palgue oh jang...how is it done? I've been looking through the moves of my future forms and didn't recognize this one (I can usually tell from watching the higher belts practice).

Also, what is it used for?

Thanks for your help!

Kelly

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Just been watching this Video Demo. Generally its used with a step backwards and done slowly. I first encountered this move in Karate as its the opening move of the Kata Nijushiho.

I think of it as defending against a thrusting attack to the body. Could be against a knife. If it is the pressing block controls the limb with the knife and the hand that pulls back to the hip grabs the opponent's hand and rakes the knife out of the opponent's hand. The backward move into L/Back-Stance not only gets you out the way of the knife but twists the body sideways so you can bring the attacker's arm alongside (move sourced from Krav Magr). By the way, this move is really dangerous so don't try it with a live blade if you value your fingers!

In terms of application you'll want to ask you instructor as well, as he might have a good use for it.

3. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Thanks for the explanation and video!! I appreciate the help. I have a hard time visualizing the practical use of the blocks sometimes. I ended up joining the advanced class due to showing "advanced ability" as a white belt but I missed out on the what-fors of the blocks :rolleyes: . So now I'm trying to learn as I go.

Thanks again!!

Kelly