Double Staff Form

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Yuhp Cha Ki, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I think that if someone represents that they are doing "X" then "X" ought be what they are doing.

And if they represent that they are doing "X" and someone says "prove it" they ought be able to prove it. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Actually, Master Dunchok, the ssangjeolgon, aka nunchaku, is a traditional CMA weapon. Many of the Okinawan kobudo weapons, such as tonfa & nunchaku & sai, are actually inherited from the CMA. Many also found their way to Korea in this fashion as well.

3. Bruce W Sims

Better watch it, Master D. You won't make any friends by revealing that you have trained under a teacher who subjectively chose to adopt non-Korean material. Are you sure that you don't want to revamp your story and invoke some obscure tale out of the mists of ancient Korea? Perhaps your teacher was simply revealing some well-regarded albeit well-hidden family tradition as practiced in an obscure mountain village.

Not too late to come up with a good yarn!

Best Wishes,

Bruce

4. MadMonk108

Answers on my bulgyomusul question, Bruce?

5. Bruce W Sims

And what difference would that make, Monk?

What if I told you that I spoke FIVE languages?

How about if I told you that I trained in any number of obscure traditions?

What if I told you I spent weeks in the National Library investigating one resource after another.

You don't care if I actually trained in Buddhist traditions or not. What you are looking for is a reason to justify what others are doing by using the old "you-do-it-too" (aka "I know you are but what am I") defense.

Do you REALLY think this is about my vitae? Do you REALLY think any of that would make any difference within the context of what is happening here? Look at the responses fer crine-nout loud. Have you noticed that Steve Seo and I are the only ones who use our real names? How seriously does one take an intellectual discussion with people too insecure to use their real names?

The 500# gorilla in the room is that this is all about people believing what they WANT to believe and fact has very little or nothing to do with it. Nor is this a huge revelation to either of us. You, yourself, mentioned that I have been asked to leave forums in the past; what do you think that was about? When it comes right down to it, this has nothing to do with what I know or the validity of the information I share. It has to do with what people find fun believing, plain and simple.

Across four threads, now, you continue to lose touch with what is happening here. People can attack me for HOW I report something.
    People can attack me for reporting anything at all.
    People can express annoyance, sarcasm, indiference or whatever, but in the end its the same old "i believe what I want to believe because its fun to believe it." The only case I have made is for critical thinking and the message I get uniformly is that there is no place for that among the rank and file KSW people. Pretty much end of story.

Now, if you want to make a case for HOW I express myself or why, thats fine. But, in the end, its not going to make any difference. It just won't. There is no place for critical thinking in this population---or--- if there is, it is done on the QT in spite of the community.

Can't make it any clearer than that, do ya think?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  6. trailblazer

trailblazer Valued Member

Prove you're a scholar and answers Steve's questions.

7. MadMonk108

Evasion.

You've made claims about what is or isn't bulgyomusul.

Have you trained in any form of bulgyomusul?

Where do you draw your knowledge of bulgyomusul from?

Are any of these sources primary or are they all secondary?

This goes directly to your presenation, Bruce. It's quite straightforward logic. Standard historical research process.

In order to condemn the material presented, you have to first confirm that it is not what it is claimed to be. Without that proof, all you're left with is insults & pseudointellectual babble.

So, upon what knowledge are you basing your claims of what is or is not bulgyomusul?

8. Bruce W Sims

Sorry, Monk; you may not appreciate exactly how Logical arguement works.

If you want to use Logic then lets use Logic, not an argument based on you idea of what is logical.

Look at my first post.

The responsibility for proof lies on the KSW which is reported in the title of the clip to have a connection with Buddhist practices. I asked for proof of that connection.
    THAT is Logic.
    The question is not about what constitutes Buddhist practices. The question is what is the connection reported in the title of the clip?
    Further I identify what is in the clip as “garbage”. Your responsibility if you believe that the material is authentic in some way is to demonstrate a historic provenance for the use of the biomechanics in the clip as “connected to” Buddhist practice.

Put another way, I don’t have to prove what is NOT. According to the limits of logical discourse it is not possible to prove that something is not. You have to prove what is.

That’s how Logic works.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

9. Bruce W Sims

Seems to me that I did.

Steve's last post was all about how he is not his father and uncle. I guess time will tell; I just don't know.

Steve also commented that he deems my excution in need of work, and he is welcome to his opinion. I saw him in a clip of one of his seminars and didn't think much of his execution, either, so that doesn't prove much. I once attended a seminar put on by a person who is arguably the single best practitioner in the Hapkido community and reported that I found his teaching ability wanting. You wouldn't believe how the crap hit the fan over that one.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

bruce is sounding more and more like a fanatic, and you can never reason with fanatics.

oh, and i use my real name to bruce, nothing to hide here.
    and yes your sword skills do need more work.
    don't dish out the critisisum if you can't take it.

11. Bruce W Sims

".................
    and yes your sword skills do need more work.
    don't dish out the critisisum if you can't take it.
    ......................"

Aaaah....... oh, never mind.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

12. trailblazer

trailblazer Valued Member

This is a REAL, INDISPUTABLE FACT, Bruce. Steve is NOT HIS FATHER. And Steve is NOT HIS UNCLE. What is there to wonder about? A person cannot physically be their father or their uncle. This is what we call a FACT. This is the only kind of FACT that we can point to as TRUTH.
    [WHINE] Steve did this and Steve did that. (insert "crybaby" emoticon here)
    Do you need sympathy? hmmmm.
    Steve's opinion is worth a lot more than yours in Korean Martial Arts. And, Steve isn't the only one that agrees that, you need a lot of practice. Read the posts. Can't take responsibility? hmmmm.

You've been banned from many forums. hmmmm. You seem to be displaying Anti-Social Disorders or Dis-Social Disorders. That, combined with a belief that you are a great martial artist, is a problem.

Yes. This is right. YOUR OPINION DOESN'T PROVE MUCH. You said it. You've also more than admitted yourself, that you've lost your credibility. You have sabotaged yourself. You are stuck in your own junk.

Are you proud of yourself? Extreme displays of arrogant pride, and a disregard for the feelings of others, are also traits of an Anti-Social Personality Disorder. You know what you're doing. You corruptly try to defend yourself, instead of owning up. That's one of the weaknesses.

If you chose to try, (with awareness and healthy habits), you might find some relief and learn how to treat people better. But, I believe you're, unfortunately destined to get along only with people who share your problem. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Trailblazer

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  13. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Please explain.

14. Bruce W Sims

Sorry, Trail.... but you are beginning to rave and your observations are relating with less and less accuracy to what has been said in the material you are citing. I could be very wrong but I am getting the impression that you are out of your depth and that what is important to you is to simply demonstrate your loyalty to the "company line".

Fine. Duly noted.

I'm sure that folks such as Steve Seo are able to communicate with me in an intelligent fashion without your assistance(?). In the meantime you are so off-target in your observations I am actually beginning to feel embarrassed for you. Perhaps this is the time to reflect and let the adults continue the discourse, yes? FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  15. seo727

seo727 Valued Member

"Steve also commented that he deems my excution in need of work, and he is welcome to his opinion. I saw him in a clip of one of his seminars and didn't think much of his execution, either, so that doesn't prove much."

Bruce, case in point as to the difference between you and I. My comment about your video was given to you directly, was very specific and was a constructive observation that you can actually use to improve your training or challenge if you disagree with my assessment. Your comment was a side comment not directly at me but meant to cast a negative light on my skills without giving any context or specifics. I can't see how that serves any useful purpose except to bring down a fellow martial artist. This is exactly the point I made in the beginning of this thread around hurting vs. helping and taking responsibilty for your actions and words.

Steve Seo

16. Bruce W Sims

You are going to read what you want to read, Steve.

My point is that your comment about my performance is worth as much as my comment about your performance. Anything more than that attributed to my comment is your own issues and not mine. FWIW.

BTW: See your PM-s.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Yup I was! First time ever though ;) Sorry Bruce resurched your credentials you've paid your dues as well.

I may not like what you have to say but I can't deny your commitment to your art. Keep up the good work!

18. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Anytime you have a weapon which can be wielded with one hand, someone is going to try one in each hand. It matters little to me if "ssang joong bong dohl ki" is traditional or not, traditional meaning a large, recognized and cohesive group of people practiced it together, and passed on that training to others over a long period of time.

It looks fun.

I'm sure someone did it in ancient times, probably someone in every place that anyone ever picked up a long stick and spun it, which makes it ancient technique whether it is traditional or not.

19. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

hehe sorry to be off topic but wow I must have imagined lots of our discussions on here then ;) hehe in all seriousness what wise words from my fellow member of the brotherhood :) two to tango and all that.

OK you can get back on topic now guys :) please look after them mad one and keep the children in line :)

20. MadMonk108

Good to see you back, brother.

It's been a while since we last talked. Sometimes people change. Maybe not. Maybe just a little.