"Double Hip" Punching?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mitch, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Have any of our Karateka trained in this method? Russel Stutely and Peter Consterdine amongst others seem to use it here in the UK, but I'm not sure what the definition of the technique is?

Mitch

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Ive been shown this in the past, basically just good use of hips when striking. Heres the man himself explaining.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRqfYwhsQdQ"]The brutal Double Hip system - YouTube[/ame]

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Thanks Yossarian.:)

Looks like he advances the left hip then throws the right hip?

Can you then have your front foot planted or do you have to pivot on the ball of the left foot as you deliver the strike?

Mitch

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As I understand it the double hip comes from Peter Consterdines training in Shukokai Karate with Shigeru Kimura.
    Rather than the hips rotating about some central point (like a rotating door) they rotate around one hip or the other (like a hinged door).
    As an action it has more in common with throwing an object or swinging a golf club.
    I believe the intention is to remove any backward motion so that the strike commits as much body weight as possible. Any backward momentum is a loss of some potential forward momentum.

Oh..and I imagine that your front foot needs to be fairly well planted as that forms "part" of the hinge around which you pivot. Although I could be wrong.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hah...probably should have watched that vid before replying. Turns out he says all that and more.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Thats the way I understand it. It can be used to great effect for board breaking. You can do some impressive one inch breaks once you get the hang of it

Yeah it works well from traditional karate type stances. If i remember right Russell Stutely has a video out explaining the whole method in great detail. I think he calls it waveform rather than double hip.

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

It looks like fairly standard use of the hip to me Mitch. It is the difference between looking at a punch as a static technique in isolation or visualising what went before and priming the hip position appropriately.

8. prowla

prowla Valued Member

It's a bit like doing two punches (front hand, reverse hand), but missing out the first one!

9. kingpa

kingpa Valued Member

Hi

Russell Stutely teaches the movement slightley differently, timing is a bit different and the movement comes from the floor all the way up, watch and enjoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EMSOWgxRg"]Waveforms Vol 1 - YouTube[/ame]

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

ok, i'll go ahead and question this stutley dude's credibility. his ukes's are flying all throughout the video, and in one of the demos (1:09 i think, the downwards chest palm) the uke actually falls down a fraction of a second AFTER he hits him...

11. kingpa

kingpa Valued Member

Go ahead

So you are 17 years old, Russel Stutely is a 6th Dan a world renowned martial artist and believe me if he hits you you stay hit ... very hit indeed.

But feel free there are many many people who have felt this first hand, the guy is just superb

By al means check his credability, he is a nice guy, look for his website, email him he will talk to you. Go to one of his seminars if you can but don't be stupid enough to voulnteer

12. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

That was my thought too. Even done quickly it seems a little telegraphic, don't know why you wouldn't throw out a jab or feint during the real thing.

13. Fish Of Doom

@kingpa: fair enough, i just made a comment based on what i saw in that particular video, with no previous knowledge of the man in question, hence my doubts.

14. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi kingpa,

If you dont mind me saying, your response seems a quite defensive.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I think, no matter what their age!

In this day and age martial artists are becoming far more discerning, and for what its worth I picked up the same sort of vibes as Fish of Doom.

TBH I thought it was a bit staged and it didn't really float my boat.

That said I mean no disrespect to Mr Stutely as I am sure his system appeals to many.

15. kingpa

kingpa Valued Member

Yes I did come over a bit too defensive, my apologies, however, with over 30 years experience in the martial arts I hope I can see if a technique is working or if the guy is taking a fall. However, I have been on the receiving end of this and as I said, contact Russel Stutely and he will answer any questions you may have.

I also believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion whatever their age, however being an old git etc I get the impression from the statement
    that it comes from some sort of martial arts fraud squad.

Watch the vids there are loads on Youtube, make a rational decision

16. saint of fists

saint of fists New Member

hi ill just say that this video did help a lot with my technique. after practicing it my punching power i can feel has gone up significantly. the only problem i found though was after 15-20 reps on the heavy that the shoulder and wrist of the punching arm did hurt a bit but i guess its either they arent conditioned enough for the impact or my technique is off.
    besides that great method and it works for me.
    thanks

17. kingpa

kingpa Valued Member

I guess that the whole idea is that you dont need to hit 15 - 20 times, however if it makes your shoulder hurt, then look at the video again see how the elbow follows the fist and how the foot position changes (if you can see it)

18. Fish Of Doom

fair enough, that's what i was looking for, confirmation on the guy's credibility, based on what i saw in the video, namely, flying ukes. it's fair to point out that the uke seemed to be two thirds his weight, though, so the leverage is there :p

heh, not at all. i said that so that someone would actually come here and disprove or confirm it, which you have now done :). i'll admit my wording was a bit rude, there's no denying that, though.

19. saint of fists

saint of fists New Member

o yea thats true i guess i did the 15-20 reps to practice the hip technique and see if it does generate more power but now after watching the videos again i started breaking it down to its separate movements and practicing slowly to improve. and then after doing 3 on the heavy bag my shoulder and wrist are perfectly fine.
    thanks

20. kingpa

kingpa Valued Member

There is loads of Russel on you tube and clips on his own site, have a look you can learn loads the clip shown comes from one of his waveforms DVDs