Door to door recruitment!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by blue-sash, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

So is there still a chance we might see karate in the olympics?

2. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

i just finished reading this whole thread as it was most interesting. i dont know alot about MCdojos but theres a karate school down the road from me and one of my friends is a blackbelt there and when i asked him what type of karate was it he sed "what do u mean? its karate. there arent any other types just karate." i was amazed. then one day we sparred together and he tried to block my low thai kicks with his hands.. which i gave him the proper live and learn punishment. this i find terrible that places like this exhist. he feels VERY confident in his learnings... and i really dont think he learned anything exept how to pay for a belt.

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I know there are still alot of people trying to make this happen if you seen anything of the world champs in mexico a very good graphic describind how points have been scored was introduced with the idea of making it easier to understand for non ma .
    Although i must admit icant see it happening while tkd is included,thats not meant as a bitch just alot of people would see them as too similar.

4. Moosey

I don't think the similarity of sports is necessarily an issue. There are a dozen different forms of sailing in the Olympics which all seem pretty much identical to the uninitiated. I thought the main issue in karate was the huge number of different governing bodies, each of which has their own competition rules.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Their does seem to be a new scoring system thats being used in competion as used in mexico,i've seen it elsewre since and it does seem to have the olympics in mind,or at least make it more watchable by non ma

chudanzuki:ippon

chudan geri:nihon

jodangeri/takedown and strike:sanbon

this is a broad description from what i've seen,also the use of the graphics made alot of sense :)

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Sounds almost like TKD's point system, but with a takedown added.

7. Moosey

Yeah, sounds like the WKF rules that are being introduced to most of the competitions over here too.

8. blue-sash

blue-sash Banned Banned

Don't you think it would be a shame if Karate became an olympic sport?
    More than anything else, it would force too much standardisation between styles.
    To have to use a standard set of rules at the olympic level, I think would be very detremental to the overall quality of traditional karate.
    And what about styles that didn't want to comply?
    Look at TKD, wtf is olympic, while ITF (the original TKD )isn't.

And anyway Kenshukai or Gokanryu would just win by sheer numbers alone lol!!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This is sad and going on so often.

However, there isnt a distinction of low kicking or thai kicking. Kicking is kicking. The only difference is low or high. Frontal or side, etc. All kicks are the same in the arts that carry them. Your so-called "low thai kicks" are done in Shotokan, Goju, Okinawa-Te, hard Gong Fu, etc.

Your friend has not been trained properly in such defenses. But, if he was trained by a "commercial sport instructor", then he will not have much to his arsenal. He may very well out-point/score, you in a tourney.

Ignorance is bliss and there are a lot of "happy" people out there.

10. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I disagree with this having spent a year trying to "unlearn" front kicks Karate style. The front kicks in Wing Chun are very different to the front kicks in Karate.

11. 47MartialMan

Are they really? Is it to the front of your body or from the side?

12. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

It's not where they are aimed that make them different, it's how they are delivered and retracted .....

Thai roundhouses are very different to Shotokan roundhouses ....

13. 47MartialMan

How so? If the delivery is with the foot. The positioning of the foot hardly changes.

Perhaps only one difference I see with a Thai roundhouse, sometimes instead of a foot they use a shin. But they roundhouse with the foot using the same body mechanics as Shotokan-for example.

Body mechanics is body bechanics. How the hip, stances, knee flexes, are the same.

14. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Hmm...I have to politely disagree with you Martial Man.

I studied ****o-Ryu Karate (very similar to Shotokan) for some time, and for the last year I trained pretty steadily in Muay Thai.

You are correct in that Muay Thai makes use of the shin rather than the instep. However, the mechanics of throwing the kick are different.

In Karate, the knee is "chambered" into what I was taught was the "Crane Stance", where the body is balanced on one foot and the knee is parallel to the ground. From here, the body is turned, the hip is expanded/opened, and the foot is whipped out to strike the opponent. You essentially lead with the knee.

In Muay Thai, the knee is NOT brought up, and the body leads with the hip rather than the knee. The leg is swung, rather than "snapped", using the leg as more of a club rather than a whip.

In essence, I compare the two kicks as such; The Karate kick is like a coiled snake. The leg curls, prepares, then snaps outward. The Muay Thai kick is like a ball and chain. The handle begins the movement, and the chain propels the ball into the opponent with out first coiling.

Ikken created a very informative thread about the "Thai Roundhouse" in the Thai Boxing forum.

May you achieve
    Satori

15. 47MartialMan

Thank you for the heads up-I had learned something today.

Do you have a link to that forum?

16. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

17. 47MartialMan

18. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

... how do people hit with their foot... that stuff hurts like hell! shin feels nice to hit with.

19. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Are you joking? Please explain, hitting anything with my shin tends to hurt ++++. Wing Chun and Karate both taught me to kick with my foot and that never seemed to hurt (me).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  20. Moosey

In shotokan, you'll often strike with the ball of your foot for roundhouse kicks rather than the instep (the equivalent of a palm-heel strike rather than a slap with the back of the hand)