Door to door recruitment!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by blue-sash, Feb 20, 2005.

1. blue-sash

blue-sash Banned Banned

Hello,
    I recently had a man knock at my door and ask if I wanted to join his new karate class starting near by.

Is this what the martial arts have finally become?
    Door 2 door sales reps, trying to get people to signup.

I explained to him that I practiced Kung Fu, and that I didn't want to learn his karate.
    I also told him that I thought it was terrible that they were resorting to this commerical method of recruitment. And that Gichin Funakoshi would be deeply disappointed that his art had degraded to this level.

This man didn't know who Gichin Funakoshi was! :eek: :eek:

Sad but true. they do have a web presence @
    http://www.kenshukai-online.co.uk

regards
    Dave........

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

lol, look at that kata list, from taigyoku nidan to Saifa, the Heian/Pinan katas were invented for a reason you know.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Do a search, theres an old thread about this. I think its pretty sad going door to door for anything these days.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have to admit that I actually applied (and was accepted) to do a job like this a few years ago. I was unemployed at the time and thought it might be quite a good stop gap job. However, at the interview, I discovered that although I would have got free Karate lessons, the job was commission only and you didn't need any martial arts experience to do the selling. I also watched a lesson and was less than impressed by the standard of the instructor and the teaching, so I didn't take the job!

5. blue-sash

blue-sash Banned Banned

Hi,
    I practiced shotokan for a number of years before finding happiness in Kung Fu.
    We obviously practiced the Heian katas first.

Question:
    What is Saifa like? I find it strange that they missed out all the early/middle katas.

Any karate guys care to comment on the kata list?
    http://www.kenshukai-online.co.uk

cheers
    Dave.........

6. Was it GKR? I had a similar incident a while ago.

My response: I already do kickboxing and Judo

His reply: Well learn with us and you can show them at kickboxing how to really kick.

Cheeky git.

7. blue-sash

blue-sash Banned Banned

Lol :D This lot do Non-Contact sparring.
    I reckon they could seriously kick your ass!
    Best you give up kickboxing and take up non-contact karate! :D :D

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

All I will say in the West Yorkshire Area we have Gokan, they do the same, they even said they could help me improve after I told them I have been training for 20 years and won numerous full contact titles.:D

Working on the doors one night and the same group tried to get into the bar I was working on claiming to be students of mine:eek: The look of shock ontheir faces when I told them to go get me so I could kick my own Ass was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

But hey, a guy's gotta earn a buck eh!;)

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I've just had a look on the website and it looks like this is GKR karate. They appear to have changed their name to avoid all the bad publicity associated with them. They spout the same blurb about being a combination of shoto and goju styles and the katas are in the same order etc. I did GKR for a while about 6 years ago because it was the only club where I lived at the time and this sounds exactly the same.

10. Gokan, as in Go Kan Ryu which is GKR :D

Some bits I find deeply depressing about this Kenshukai place...

Supporters at a grading? For my black testing in early march I'm gonna take a mini fan club down :rolleyes:

THEY HAD A SPECIAL HALOWEEN CLASS!!! With things like dancing round a broomstick!!! I am deeply traumatised about this and shall read no further. See attached pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  11. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Door2Door

Same thing happend to me exactly 12months ago.
    GKR it was.
    Remonded me of a double glazing salesman!
    Wasn't interested.
    More interested in CMA.
    Following week I started at my local Lau Gar club.

Yat Dam, Yee Lek, Saam kung fu!!

12. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

they will start phoneing you up at one in the morning soon and asking you to do their martial art.

i suppose having someone offering you the chance of joining a martial art is better than someone telling you to become part of their religion or someone trying their best to sell you new windows (even though your windows are under 12 months old)

13. Pat OMalley

or is it?

14. Pat OMalley

Yep that the ones, I like to call them No Kan Doo:rolleyes:

15. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Two years ago some one knocked on my door from a Karate club asking if I wanted to join there club to learn how to defend myself etc, I explained that I already trained in full contact Kickboxing, there reply "would you like to train in some none contact stuff".............errrrrrrr,no ! Thet apparently knocked on every door on our estate.

16. tellner

tellner Valued Member

"Fear no man. Add inches to your twigs and berries."

Oy vey.

17. Haha, no they won't. Unless they like pain (nothing ever expeienced before in a non contact environment :D)

Funnily enough, I'll pass on that. Pass the parcel just aint my idea of training :D

Do you? How nice! I like to call them C**P

:Angel:

18. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Hi,
    Blue-sash is my student! I'm waiting for them to come see me, as I live not far from him.:D
    Maybe I should go give it a try.....See whats it's like and give you the full SP.

Does anyone know anything about the standard of their training? ie their choice of kata seems strange, but what of general training? standard wise?

Maybe have a KSK GKR student/instructor on here! Now that would be interesting!!!

19. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

GKR have got to be one of the biggest McDojos going around

20. snakep

snakep New Member

Since this is the wrong way to advertise, what are proper ways?