don't point that thing at me

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by wing chun, Nov 8, 2004.

1. wing chun

wing chun Banned Banned

do any one know any techiques against a guy with a gun? i have a few ideas but i don't really test it out in a real situation. :woo:

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

the best technique is do what he tells you and look for an escape route....DO NOT try to fight him.....you may end up dead! :woo:

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Marry his daughter? :D

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Not being there is a good one. Bulletproof armour perhaps?

5. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Run faster than a speeding bullet? Are we talking up close or several feet away? There are many up close techniques, but I wouldn't recommend using them, unless you are Jet Li or Jackie Chan. Best offense to a gun is to follow the gun holders instructions.

6. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

even jet Li and Jackie Chan wouldn't use those techniques...IF IT WAS real LIFE! Movies are MOVIES dude! :woo:

7. Taeho

Taeho New Member

My point exactly... :love:

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The idea of following the instructions of the gun holder is good, with a few exceptions:

The number one rule of when to comply vs, when not to is -> Do not go anywhere with the attacker. Your chances of survival PLUMMET if you leave the scene, get into a vehicle, etc. Part of the reason for this is they are taking you to a place that they can do things to you that they can't do to you in the street.

As far as gun defese, distance is key. If you are within three feet or so of a drawn weapon you are capible of defening yourself and honestly, it's not as hard as people think. Outside of that close range, if the weapon in drawn, then you're getting into the gun's optimal range. Trouble comes from being there.

Look, from a defense mindset, once a weapon comes into play consider yourself already dead, and be prepared to work yourself back to life.

For more on this subject, check out:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19565

- Matt

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  9. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

I agree with your post but 3 feet seams a little to far away.

10. Matt_Bernius

Possibly, I was thinking three feet away from the attacker's core, not necessarily three feet away from the weapon. Probably a better rule is approximately a foot away from the gun. Although three feet is better than lets say five to ten don't you think?

- Matt

11. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Agreed but the two successful disarms I know of were when the weapon was almost touching them. One not 100% successful (the person was shot but recovered) was just at grasping range.

12. Chojin

Chojin Valued Member

Start pretending to have a fit on the floor an hope he take pity on you and runs away! Lol! Sorry :p On a more serious note though at a distanct best bet is to run! Odds are very low hitting you with a hand gun due to accuracy!
    But if close up whatever you do dont make sudden moves or panic the gunman, That way they will become nervous and may end up pulling the trigger by accident rather than on purpose! If you dont feel confident enough to carry out a dis-arming technique things can go horribly wrong! I found it helpful to buy a cheap platic gun and practice different ways! Best and quickest way to move out the line of trajectory! It may differ for different people so give it a go and see which you feel more confident about!

13. wing chun

wing chun Banned Banned

yea that's pretty much what i was thinking get in close and do as much damage as possible. would you guys suggest disarming him or just pinning the gun. also i like ur avatar matt :bang:

14. Matt_Bernius

Thanks.

All weapon defense is based on the same four steps.

1. Get off the line of the weapon & Simultaniously clear the weapon
    2. Move inside the effective range of the weapon, check and isolate it(this doesn't mean necessarily grappling)
    3. Punish the core
    4. Disarm if necessary

Attempting to disarm a gun is a great way to get shot. I've seen this happen to people (training rounds were in the gun). Most people can clear a gun that is against or near their body without getting shot. However, when attempting to disarm the gun usually crosses ones body a number of times and that's where the pain happens.

Get off the line. Clear the gun. Step behind the gun, moving on an angle. With one hand check and control (not necessarily wrestle) the gun arm (Not the gun). PUNISH THE PERSON'S HEAD WITH YOUR FREE HAND. Not kidding here. Do as much damage as possible in as little time as possible. Stay close to the person.

When they go limp, remove the gun.

- Matt

15. Graifox

Graifox New Member

i reckon if you can you run....
    Simple.

My plan tomust confrontations actually....

heh

16. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Its easy to disarm ppl with a gun. Read a book on modren ninja and your sorted imho.

17. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Perhaps I'm not reading this right. Did you say its easy to disarm people with a gun or people who are carrying a gun?

Modern ninja? :rolleyes:

18. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Pointing gun at your chest is pretty damn easy
    at your back is a lilk bit more difficult

19. Matt_Bernius

Cobra,

When you make assertions, can you back them up with a description of technique? It makes the discussion better and is a far mroe compelling method of explaining your point of view.

- Matt

20. Chojin

Chojin Valued Member

The dis-arming is the easy part i agree! The hardest part is having the balls and confidence to actually apply the technique! You'd be suprised what happens to people when you point a live gun at them! In Northern Ireland you'd get all sorts of responses! 90% of the time some crazy dance of fear!