Don't Like MMA? You Don't like Bruce Lee

Discussion in 'MMA' started by matutor, Nov 18, 2015.

1. matutor

matutor Banned Banned

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdhasZPT4V4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdhasZPT4V4[/ame]

As discussed before we do not allow simply posting videos with no text discussion of content.

We are not here to pimp your YouTube channel.

A repeat will result in a ban.

Please open some discussion or this thread will be locked and the link to your video removed.

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

This again? *Facepalm*.

3. CrowZer0

Was this the summary of the UFC/Dana White documentary on Bruce Lee? Cos that came out like 3 years ago.

"I am Bruce Lee" 2012 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954299/

In that documentary Gene LeBell says he was the first MMAist and he consistently whooped Bruce Lee's ass.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

MMA is alright, it's not "all that" though.

5. matutor

matutor Banned Banned

I didn't know that about gene lebell lol that's pretty cool! I guess what I'm trying to get at are those traditionalists who don't like mma yet like bruce lee. Seems ironic to me

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I like MMA but I dislike Bruce Lee. Overhyped actor with mediocre technique.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I like Bruce Lee because his films were good 1970s ass-kicky schlock. I don't like MMA because it's not very entertaining to watch and I'm not a big fan of real violence as entertainment. I'm really not sure there's much of a connection between people's feeling about MMA vs Mr Lee.

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I don't like Bruce Lee or MMA.

Am I a bad person?

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

How important is it whether I like MMA / Bruce Lee or not? If I don't, will it make me a Bad Person? :confused:

10. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

I don't like MMA or any martial arts movies. I'm mainly in it for the nice starchy pyjamas. I probably am a bad person though.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't even like martial arts.....

12. Bozza Bostik

the looks I'd get when I was training JKD and all the fan boys would be banging on about Lee and I'd say I thought his films were awful, he was a terrible actor and an all round jerk.

Maybe not the best thing to say in a JKD school but my mother told me that people would respect me if I was honest. She lied.

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Spooky cross-post!!! :eek:

14. CrowZer0

I find that a bit odd to be honest. That you know "traditionalists" who like Bruce Lee but don't like MMA. Because anyone who knows even just a little about Bruce Lee knows he was anything but "traditional". He was all about getting rid of the useless and ceremony and getting straight the the point (quite literally) anyone who's ever looked at "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" know's it's basically the way of the intercepting fist and getting from A-B asap, granted that ideology mainly came from Wing Chun and its centre line theory, but just by looking at the first few pages of my battered old copy he talks about fencing, boxing, cat stretching straight away.

So I'm not sure how many "Bruce Lee" fans are "traditionalists". Just doesn't make any sense to me.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

You are not a Bad person, you are Batman :)

I like BL, but not MMA...so what is the OP trying to say?

Maybe he has missed the heavenly glory focusing on the finger pointing to the moon

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yes, but not for those reasons ;)

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Many traditionalists hate Bruce Lee too so what's your point?

18. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

It's funny how one thing leads to antoher though..

I never heard of JKD until I got offerend free classes.

I never really cared or knew a lot about Bruce Lee until lots of stuff got mentioned in class and I just read up and started watching things.

I never really knew or cared about MMA until my friend (who's heavy into MMA) joined classes and we started to spar togheter, and he mentioned a couple of fights to watch to illustrate some points.

I got hooked to mma and started watching everything I could get my hands on.

Now, classes fell through and I joined a kickboxing / mma gym instead.

Started with a couple mma and kb classes, figured out I liked kb more then mma. Started watching kb fights too, which intrest me a bit more then mma.

So, it went something like, JKD -> Bruce -> MMA -> Kickboxing.

If people never continued with JKD after Bruce's death, who knows if I ever got into a ma?

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

in my experience bruce is disliked as equally as MMA in traditional circles :)
    Well unless its the wing chun crowd looking to ride his financial coattails, but then they still whisper to each other when no potential students are listening he never really learned the art :)

20. Bozza Bostik

"If he'd learned the whole art, he would've never needed JKD", some Wing Chun guy.

:p