Donnie Darko ..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jay, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

Cool film - really enjoyed it ... but what the hell was it about ??? :D

I sort of get the gist but .. not quite.

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

sometimes i question your dedication to sparkle motion jay.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It was simple enough, Darko was trapped in a closed loop of time caused by his surviving the arrival of the artifact. The artifact was the jet engine, which had travelled back in time since metal can pierce the water barrier that seperates past and present. Darko was the Living Manipulated, the one who has to return the artifact to its rightful place so that it can actually travel back in time. The Rabbit and his girlfriend were the Dead Manipulated, since they died within the closed time loop and so could travel throughout it at will, with quite a few special powers, in order to make the loop both form, and close. Once the artifact had a mechanism to return backwards in time, the loop ended, coincidentally taking Donnie with it.

4. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yes Donnie Darko is about all those things, but.

Movies are about much more than the mere machinations of their plot.

The true meaning of any Movie is its Theme, which is often unstated but is there as a re-inforced entity throughout the entire Movie.

Donnie Darko, despite all the metaphysical potential and the Time Travel epistle, is a Love story.

A love story for a love that never was or that can never be. The impossibility of love.

As well as Romantic Love, even if it is Romantic love in another dimension or An Imminent Romantic Love as Flash Forward, it is also about Sacrificial Love.

If Donnie gives his 'life', it will save others from a world of pain.

'Love is stronger than Death' (Romeo and Juliet).

6. Jay

Jay New Member

Was he a ghost from the start ? Or am I thinking of something else :D

Thanks guys that helps .. apart from you sokklab, you're just trying to confuse me aren't you ! ;)

Cheers,
    Jay

7. redi knight

redi knight New Member

yeah, good movie. hard to understand at first, but i get it now..