DOMS, Hypertrophy, TKD, and BALANCE...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MikeMartial, Jan 2, 2006.

1. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

So I have goals for 2006. Many.

One of my main ones is packing on the muscle I had prior to re-entering the martial arts circle. It's not a whole lot---I'm 175lbs now, I was 185lbs then, but leaner, and a helluva lot stronger.

I also don't want to give up training time in TKD---in fact, I'd like to increase my time and intensity spent training. I plan on testing for my black belt around Nov 2007, so slacking off isn't an option now.

But to go from a day spent on deadlifts and squats and then TKD----? How does one find a healthy balance in this? I know the resistance training will only help and compliment my TKD training, but is almost seems like a hinderance right now.

Can hypertrophy happen with a high intensity cardio like TKD?
    Is there any method of overcoming the DOMS from low rep, heavy sets?

Any thoughts, ideas or experiences welcome! :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  2. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

That shouldnt be that big of a problem.

You dont have to give up TKD.

Thats not a problem. You can do two sessions 2 times a week. Keep volume low, and intesity high. Do these exercises: Bench, Dips, Pull-ups, DB press, Squats, DLs, you get the idea.
    Next day you can do TKD. But you need at least one day of complete rest (two is better).

Yes it can. You just need to eat right food and amounts of right food.

This is short and sweet from me. Just search t-nation and MAP if you have specific questions. The point is weights don’t have to be hindrance to your TKD training.

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Meh, I have:
    Monday - Weights
    Tuesday - TKD
    Wednesday - Weights
    Thursday - TKD
    Friday - Weights

Wednesday is also my lower body day, which is made up of deadlift, lunges, and romanian deadlift. I don't find I get any grief from it, well not yet anyway. :p

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

What does your current schedule look like as far as days on TKD and days available for strength training?

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

2x/wk weight training and 3x/wk TKD would work for you. Are you currently lifting already or planning to start?

6. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

Definitely. You just need to eat enough calories to accomodate both the intense cardio sessions and muscle growth.

7. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

Great replies, all of you!

This is where it gets tricky. I'm able to go to TKD 5 times a week M/W/T/F/S.
    I usually go 3. The idea of TKD 3 times, and weights twices works well, but I have to work that around my shiftwork:

2-10hr days, 2-14hr nights, 2 days off, 2-10hr days, 2-14hr nights, 6 off.

Lotsa fun :) When I was just weightlifting, DOMS wasn't an issue, and neither was flexibility, or cardio for that matter. It was just focused on muscle gain, period. So I could work around my shifts and the DOMS by doing body part split workouts.

I haven't seriously hefted any iron in two years. I have hit the gym periodically, but nothing on a regular basis.

I have increased my protien intake, as well as the # of times a day I'm eating. I'm back on the creatine, and now drinking 2+ litres of water a day. Only thing else I've added is EFA's in the form of wild fish oil, and ZMA (cause DAMN I sleep like a baby on that stuff).

I appreciate your replies, guys! :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'd do two full body routines and start off with less volume and increase the volume a bit for a few weeks and then back off for a week and repeat.

You could easily set up something like-
    Workout A:
    Squat, bench, row, abs

Work B:
    Deadlift, push press, chins, abs