DOMA's dead!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kurtka Jerker, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

And the negative responses are absolutely mind-blowing.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think you should spare a thought for the supporters of DOMA - it must be hard to see you enemies gain whilst you lose absolutely nothing

3. komuso

komuso Valued Member

You are an open hearted man Hannibal.

paul

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, a lot of them think that a nation crossing the line into accepting homosexuality is one of the turning points for god turning their back on a nation and either letting it destroy itself or causing its destruction himself. The whole "lift his hand from protecting the nation" type thing. I grew up in that world, it causes a lot of anxiety in people. Pretty strange really : /

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I think Pierce Hawthorne just had a heart attack. No wait, he's faking it.

6. Hannibal

It's the sweetest and most tender flesh....one cannot help oneself

7. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If the DOMA people would spend their time on taking government out of marriage and returning it to its original state as a religious ceremony, they wouldn't make such fools of themselves. I don't take these sort of people seriously at all. Just self-righteous moral busybodies who like to legally bully people. :p

8. matveimediaarts

Indeed. It comes from a misunderstanding of what the bible actually says in my experience.

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Yes. looking at the example used often in that argument: sodom and gomorrah. It was not destroyed because there were gay people there. It was destroyed because there was not a single righteous soul left. Not a single one, according to the story.

And what's more, there are implications that Lot (among those who were saved from the wrath of God) had had sex with the other gay people. townfolk went to Lot when they learned that Lot had 2 (supposedly male looking) visitors so that they could have sex with them. Lot said no and offered them his daughters instead, which they did not want. they then proceeded to try and break down the door.

Now, if these townfolk are all gay or bi, and want to have sex with every person of the same gender, to the point of demanding of Lot to surrender unknown house guests, that sort of implies that they had had Lot at an earlier point in time. So 'despite' the fact that Lot himself probably was guilty of that as well, he and his family still got saved.

The destruction of Sodom and gomorrah had nothing to do with homosexuality, or at least not in a major way, but everything with the lack of righteousness. And at least in the stories, the described behavior of the townspeople paint a pretty bleak picture as well.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't think his wife faired to well. But on the plus side they always had something to put on their chips.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  11. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Lots wife turned into a pillar of salt when she looked back, that would have been like hitting the jack pot in those days imagine how much money Lot could have sold all that salt for.

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

America just got one step closer to being the proper, civilized nation we should be. I needed some good news today. :)

For those who don't know about DOMA:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLv_kdheJhs"]What does the DOMA decision mean to you? - YouTube[/ame]

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Was very happy to hear it. Although a group I have on facebook said Proposition 8 was shot down as well, but I thought that one was allowed to continue or hasn't had a decision made yet?

Not too fussed about the negative opinions. You can't change everyone's mind and homophobia will eventually die out as generations change, same as every wide spread discrimination. The important thing was getting the legal side done. Then gay people get their rights and can live equally, and haters can stay hating.

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

You are noble and have a good heart - but me, I have no sympathy for them.

15. Hannibal

I think you may need to re-read what I put Blade ;)

16. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

It feels good to have equal rights (at least in some states).

17. matveimediaarts

The amusing thing is, the equal rights always existed (mostly). Anyone can go find a minister who is willing and say their vows and be married in their own hearts (and before God, if that is their goal). When the government gets out of the marriage business, the issues of marital legalities solve themselves as people make legal contracts with each other.

It's a long story, but one of the driving forces behind "legal" marriage as we know it was to prevent iter-racial marriage. It's outdated, antiquated, and downright foolish law.:bang:

18. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

No the issue is with the legalities. While two gays could go and get a minister, they wouldn't be able to register their marriage and get the same benefits that heterosexual couples get. Their wedding would hold as much weight legally as a WoW wedding, even less so if the gamers are straight and get out of their basements to get a marriage license.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yes but before DOMA was struck down, you could be prevented from visiting your spouse in hospital because they had the wrong genitals.

There were a lot of rights that lawfully married gay couples didn't get that lawfully married straight couples did. And that kind of inequality is always wrong. So, happy days.

Now if only we could stop African countries from stoning gay people, we'd really have a party.