Dojo Romance?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pocketwarrior, Nov 16, 2003.

1. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Just out of interest has anyone here started dating or tried to get it on with a member of the opposite sex in their dojo who they found attractive....!?:D

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Not bloody likely- the only woman in my class seems to be married to the instructor :D

3. Drealoth

Drealoth New Member

Yeah. Bad call. It's all good...until you break up.

4. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

At our kickboxing classes we seem to attract lot's of good looking women on a regular basis. I have now had 3 'flings' with some of them over the past 4 yrs, but Drealoth you are right it was a bit awkward when we split up....

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

my instructor and a girl who trained started dating, got married and now they are parents of 2 beautiful children.

6. white_sash

white_sash Valued Member

well there is this kickboxing girl and she is so hot!!!!:rolleyes:
    when i see her everything dissapears and her beautiful-ness makes me melt into a fudge pudding

~excuse my teenage hormones speaking there :eek:

7. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Hmm....never in my dojo. But there was a girl in my wrestling class. Oh man, she had curves everwhere ;)

And lucky me -- our coach gave us partners by alphabetical order, and I got her. Ohhhhh, that was one of the best times of my life.

Just rolling around with her, and just....ahhhh. It was like heaven. Then she moved and I had to get a new partner. But man, it was heaven. Before she moved she told me that I was awesome and top and on bottom -- in wrestling that is.

8. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

We have an insane amount of thise in our self defense class in LBCC. It was fun until one of the hotties "accidentally" kneed me in the crotch. Twice. On the same day. I'm just thankful I was wearing denim jeans that day...

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Could this be anything to do with you slobbering over photos of them? :D

10. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Photos? I see them LIVE, man...Tuesdays and Thursdays :cool:

11. totality

totality New Member

what a foolish and inappropriate thing....leave it at the workplace, people! :D

few attractive girls in wyoming, fewer interested in kickboxing/bjj/mma, and even fewer training with me. in fact...ONLY ONE!!! now you've made me angry...

12. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I'd take a relationship wherever the hell I could get one. Which is nowhere but nut-jobs on internet personal ads. And I learned my lesson the first time.

13. dmiller575

dmiller575 Valued Member

It is not an easy thing to do or even very wise as if things go wrong it could be very awkward. However my wife and I met at the Dojo. It was not our normal 'home' class but one we were both visiting regularly.

Anyway we are coming up for our 26th anniversary and I have to say it was well worth the risk.

14. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

When Dave says that they are coming up to their 26th anniversary what he actually meant was that Sue has decided that he is allowed to hang around for a little longer! :D

I am dating one of the women from our aikido club, we are coming up on our two year anniversary....when Celine dumps me I'm sure that we will stay friends! :D

Hi all!!!

15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

No comment :D

Well apart from saying no comment :D

HWUTS dating service at your service! :D

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't recommend it at all, the same as I don't recommend dating at the workplace. It will happen anyway and I just hope that the parties involoved maintain a high level of professionalism inside the dojang, regardless of where the relationship goes. As an instructor, I would never get involved with a student... it isn't ethical (and I'm married!)

Along those lines, I have had my wife as a student in my class a couple of times. We both prefer that we don't partner up... and in class we maintain a professional demeanor.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

well, the pickup line "this is so wrong, we really shouldn't be doing this" can be very effective on some women...

but of course, for whatever reason, dating her has to be a bad idea for it to work...

But I would recommend my strategy - take you girlfriend to the dojo.

18. jonsku

jonsku New Member

I met my girlfriend in dojo some 4 years ago, and we're been dating for over 3,5 years. Guess that was "love on first sight" :D
    Later she quit judo but it doesn't matter, I still love her!

jonsku

19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Sometimes it can work, and when it does its great. No problem there. When it goes wrong though, its bleeding disaterous, and usually ends up in one ot the two students involved leaving. Normally in a relationship, you get some breathing time before you see them again. Not likely if you train with them in close proximitey 3 times a week.

If it were me, I'd run, very fast, in the other direction. But it depends on the whole situation. Only you can tell if its right or not. If your only after a quick fling, you'd be better off leaving it, but if you think it could be serious, go for it.

20. dmiller575

dmiller575 Valued Member

So Celine is just 'one of the women' at the Dojo that you happen to be having a relationship with. Are you in trouble or what.

I agree in part with Thomas as Sue and I hated practising together. I was always more inclined towards Kata so Sue saw me as being very picky. Whereas Sue was more into Randori which meant that I was always getting trashed across the mat.

So we found it was best to practise with other folk.