Dog Brothers and WMA?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by komuso, Nov 1, 2007.

1. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi all,

here is the next in my series of probably stupid questions related to the western martial arts.

Have any of the the folk engaged in the recreation of western martial arts gone and mixed it up with the Dog Brothers crew? I realise that it wouldnt be possible to lug your favourite pole arm along, but perhaps a piece of wood of appropriate length?

thanks

Paul

2. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Paul....

Yes, I've done a bit of open-air sparring with Scottish Dog instructor Scotty-Dog and some of his students over a period of a few years and attended some of his classes.
    I used a single-stick, which is slightly longer than the normal escrima stick and has a wicker basket or leather guard to protect the hand....
    The style I adopted was the 1790 'anti-pugilism' method which combined single-stick and Highland Broadsword techniques.....

Needless to say I lived to tell the tale! :D

Louie

3. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Louie,

thanks for that, I had a feeling that the temptation to see how it all panned out in that context would be hard to resist for at least a few brave souls, given what from my outside perspective seems to be a commitment to realism on the part of a good many WMA people.

So... without putting too fine a point on it, how was it?

thanks again

paul

4. Louie

Hi Paul....

Great experience, Scotty Dog's a real Pressure tester - and a great UK ambassador for the DB....
    We had regular sparring sessions at the Battery Park in Gourock-On the whole I was hit just as often as I got a shot through (see photo of my leg)
    - often losing out when it came to grappling - (I've always been more of a savateur, prefering long kicks to wrestling).

It has been, until now, the ultimate test of my abilities - the next stage is moving from wood to steel and long-sword sparring with the Hamster :eek:

Louie

Attached Files:

5. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

Frankly its getting I want my bigger sword for sparring with you. You people are getting too good, too quick!
    I guess thats what happens when you teach established martial artists rather than MA newbies!
    Have to get my game face on :eek: which fortunately you cant see under the mask!

6. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

your giving me a big head mate, we're having a sparring session then a couple of Xmas beers on the 22nd if you & George fancy it

7. Scotty Dog

I should also point out that a good few of the Dog Brother Martial Arts instructors are also respected WMA Instructors in their own rights.

In fact we've had a couple of fights at the Euro Gatherings using some form of German shield

8. Louie

Hi Graeme

That's interesting.... was it the big shields seen in the German Talhoffer illustrations (see below) or the smaller fist-sized bucklar?

Any Youtube clips?

Louie

Attached Files:

9. Scotty Dog

I'm not aware of any you-tube clips of the Euro Gatherings, but I think there may be some of the fighter in question,s group playing. I'll have a look when I get home.

The shields were about the same size as the Talhoffer illustrations, but I think they were a different design

10. Louie

Here's Paul MacDonald using them in a demo in Edinburgh....
    [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFx8JdBodk[/ame]

Louie