Does your style do any of these kata?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Noodle, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Re: Re: Does your style do any of these kata?

Lorei probably = Lohai. More of a phonetic thing.

AFAIK, Meikyo exists only in Shotokan and some of the Shotokan derived schools. Other Japanese systems use Rohai instead of Meikyo.

Also, Meikyo is a new kata that looks like a synthesis of Itosu Rohai Nidan and Sandan.

The Rohai that one sees most often in Shi-to Ryu (another Japanese system and one that calls the Rohai kata, "Itosu Rohai and Matsumura Rohai", respectively) and many Okinawan systems is Matsumura Rohai

Rob

2. Longshot421

Longshot421 Valued Member

Yes, we (Renshikan) do 2 Rohais (well, 3 actually) that I know of that we refer to as Rohai Dai, Rohai Sho (short and long version of essentially the same kata) and Matsumura Rohai. Other kata we do are:

Ni Sei Shi (2 versions)
    Seisan
    Seinchin
    Seipai
    Kanku Dai
    Ni Pai Po (sp?)
    Jion
    Bassai Dai
    Pinan (Heian) 1-5
    Chinto

And those are the ones of I can think of right now, there are more, but I am but a lowly 1st kyu and will learn more. Anyone have any thoughts on the Pinan kata and we now call them the Heian kata? My understanding is the it is the Okinawan vs. Japanese pronounciation of the same kanji, but I'm not sure, and I don't know why we changed our mind as to which pronounciation we are to use.

Longshot421

3. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Seems that your particular Renshinkan Dojo/Group is doing quite a few kata outside of the Renshinkan syllabus. Interesting.

Your understanding is correct. It is the Japanese pronounciation of the same kanji.

It all seems willy-nilly to me as to whether one uses the Japanese vs. the Okinawan pronounciation.
    For example

In ****o ryu, we often say Pinan vs. Heian. (some groups/orgs use Heian, while others use Pinan.)

But, we say Kosokun vs. Kushanku.
    Seisan vs. Jyu San
    Seipai vs. Jyu Ichi
    Jyuroku vs. seiryu
    Sanseiryu vs. San jyu roku
    Niseishi vs. Nijushi
    Nipaipo vs. ni hachi ho

Go figure.

Rob

4. Longshot421

Renshikan vs. Renshinkan (a very subtle difference, I know) may be a partial explanation. We are a pretty small style (to the best of my knowledge, anyway) based in Canada. If you want to know more about this style, please let me know (The 10 word or less explanation would be Chito Ryu + ****o Ryu = Renshikan, but it's more than that :D ). Anyway, your info on the Heian vs. Pinan topic is much appreciated. Also, with the kata names, it explains why I have been to tournaments and seen katas the look awfully similar to a kata I know, but with an entirely different name.

Thanks,

Mark

5. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

OH, I See now. That explains it. There's a RenshiNkan Shorinji Ryu group near me, in Silicon Valley.
    Rob

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

My style, IsshinRyu does:

Seisan
    Seuichin
    Naihanchi
    Wansu
    Sanchin
    Chinto
    Kusanku

We also have another one, Suansu, in our syllabus but it isn't one of the originals that you asked about. We also have some kobudo kata that are required to grade to a dan level.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi,

All the 'Senior Grade' Kata that I know of in my style, Shukokai, appear somewhere in your list.

:)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  8. Picksey

Picksey New Member

In wado ryu we do:

5 pinan kata
    kushanku
    naihanchi
    chinto
    seishan (seisan?)
    passai
    niseishi

...and some more... but I haven't got that far yet ;) . Maybe Ash would care to complete the list?

EDIT: Oh, and Mr. Wado Ryu is better known as Hironori Ohtsuka.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  9. Ash

Ash Valued Member

^^^^^

Here you are...

Rohai
    Wanshu
    Jitta
    Jion

:)

10. Longshot421

I visited the web site you have in your profile, looks great. Do you know anything about RenshiNkan? I was wondering if the similarity in name is merely coincidental.

Cheers,
    Mark

11. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Thank you.

Try this page: http://www.synapse.ne.jp/~renshin/english/intro.html

Rob

12. Stick

Stick New Member

My dojo does the following from your list:

Jitte
    Onkan
    Tekki
    Bassai
    Hengetsu
    Sochin
    Suparumpei/Hyakuhatchiho
    Wanshu

We are shotokan.

13. Longshot421

Thanks very much. Pretty interesting. If you want to know more about Renshikan, search Akutagawa AND Karate AND Chitose OR "Chito Ryu" and you can go from there. I also found that there is some connection to Goju Ryu as well, so I guess I should have said the 10 word answer is Chito Ryu + ****o Ryu + a little Goju Ryu = Renshikan. Anyway, thanks again.

Mark

14. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

What branch of Shotokan are you guys? What happened to Kanku, and the other shotokan kata?

Rob

15. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I know Seisan kata. We have Chinto, wansu, Naihanchi, and sansu kata as well. The style is isshinryu karate.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  16. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

American Shorin-ryu karate. We do the following from the list:
    Shinto, Jiin, Jion, Jutte, Kururunfa, kusanku, Wan kan, Nihachis, Pinans, Bassai, Gojushiho, Saifa, Sanchin Sanseru, Seinchin, Sepai, Hangetsu, Shisochin, Sochin, Suparumpei, Unsu (that is a FUN kata!), and Wanshu.
    The others might be in our style, too, but I might not have seen or learned them yet. Some ofthe higher-level kata are lost, due to the only people learning them being too old to remember at times!
    (It won't let you say wan kan as one word? That has just made my day!)

17. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

Isshin Ryu Kata

Isshin ryu Kata

Seisan
    Seiunchin
    Nihanchi
    Wansu
    Sanchin
    Chinto
    Kusanku
    Sunsu

These are the empty hand kata of Isshin Ryu, the lineage is Miyagi Chojun, Motobu Choki, and Kiyan Chitoku.

Mike O'Leary

18. happywelshgal

happywelshgal New Member

Out of the list you have given, we do Chinte Gankaku Meikyo Jiin Jion Jitte Wan_kan Nijushiho Hengetsu Sochin Unsu and Empi. We also do Heian Katas, Tekki Sho Dan, Tekki Ni Dan, Tekki San Dan, Bassai Dai, Bassai Sho, Kanku Dai, Kanku Sho, Gojushiho Sho, Gojushiho Dai.

We're Shotokan by the way!

19. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

Back ion Wado-Ryu Karate, I did Jion, Bassai-Dai, Naihanchi, Kanku-Dai, and the Pinan Katas.