Does this hand position have any significance in Chinese MA?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by nasigoreng, Apr 9, 2011.

1. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

I frequently encounter this hand gesture in Indonesian Silat. Different instructors tell me that the fingers represent different aspects of being a morally up-right person. For example, one teacher says the straight pointer finger represents submission to God and others represent humility, respecting others, etc...

It also occurred to me that one might hold a keris in this position with the thumb pressing on the base of the blade.

This image might also remind some people of the movie "Big Trouble in Little China" where members of a Chinese gang use this to salute each other.

Just wondering if there's a Chinese connection

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

kiu sao mate.... standardly seen in Hung Gar

:' )

powchoy

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvpSV3LKF9E"]YouTube - Pak Mei - Ying Jow Nim Kiu kuen[/ame]

(00:14 and 00:34)

Seen here in this form "Eagle Claw/Sticky Bridge".

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Valued Member

Google "One finger shooting zen".

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Dunno but that dude on the right has the absolute gnarliest pompadour I've ever seen, hands down.

6. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

thanks for the replies. Any combative applications or just aesthetics? reading up on 'kiu sau mate' on another forum, some said it was a salute signal for a group planning to restore a dynasty.

7. spaced

spaced Valued Member

Aka Buddha Finger....used for striking in the style I studied, White Crane. Good for striking the "4 points of gold", either side of the groin and above each pectoral muscle and not to mention the eyes and major pressure points, works a treat. :lowblow:

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The position in the two pictures of the thumb is not the same. The first picture has the thumb out. This is a hand configuration that can be used for attacking with the V shaped part of the hand between the thumb and the fingers (on the ridge of the hand as the striking surface). On example would be to strike upward using the V-shaped part of the hand to come underneath the nose of the opponent. (FYI: As a side note, there is a really effective strike to the back of the neck/brain stem that also uses this V-part of the hand for striking that can be used in clinching... but then again, almost any strike to the brain stem can be very effective.)

The hand configuration in Big Trouble in Little China has the thumb tucked which is more of a palm strike or a strike with the knuckles on the fingers.

If for instance the application is striking with the palm to under the chin/jawline, the knuckles could strike under the nose of the target and the finger then used to gough the eye as one example.

The use of this hand configuration can be seen in a few forms, the one I'm most familiar is Panther Set (see below). Other forms would include Tiger Crane form (also see below):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ch_1U6q23o"]YouTube - Kata Panther Set[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsNgQPGgfo"]YouTube - Hung Gar Kung Fu- The Tiger Crane Form[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  9. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

great replies, everyone. whether physical (crane, eagle claw, hung gar) or internal (qi gong), looks like a clear case of Chinese MA influence in Indonesian MA.

10. spaced

spaced Valued Member

Chinese Kungfu has an influence on most MA.

11. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Now I've gotta watch Big Trouble in Little China again.

12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

The little I know of Hung Kuen, having your fingers up is to help with the dynamic tension in the forearm.

13. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

I heard it's just a symbol of your lineage....a way of communicating what school you are from.

14. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

The soul reason for this hand gesture is to look wicked cool when striking a pose after you've just fought off a gang of baddies and there's a crowd of onlookers clapping...

15. komuso

komuso Valued Member

And in the accomplishment of that aim, Chimpcheng, you would have to admit it succeeds most admirably indeed.

Most admirably!

paul

16. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

Since I am not going to reveal my identity online, I will tell you a secret of the real application of this hand position.

This is actually a dim mak technique, also for beginner in form without application it looks like just a strengthening technique to your forearm, yes this is also true, because you need to have conditioning to your forearm, also to channel your chi. That is why you are breathing the way you do when you apply this technique.

The secret is this, if you point your index finger 45 degrees forward and not upward this is the real secret technique. :) All my Kung Fu Masters had told me this secret.

Do this technique with index finger 45 degrees pointing forward, look and examine the position where you are hitting. Now you know there is more to just pushing your palm forward with you finger pointing upward.

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Sounds good. Isn't this the same advice that could apply to any palm strike?

18. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

With my limited knowledge, I can only comment on Kung Fu techniques which have the finger pointing upward, you are welcome to experiment on any palm strike. But from my understanding the energy which you produce in the strike is different from a simple palm strike compare to a palm strike with a finger pointing upward palm strike. (As a simple palm strike usually use a whipping motion. Where as a palm strike with finger pointing upward required breathing out to channel chi.)

Some palm strike are actually use to intercept an incoming strike, some are a snapping motion (Like a jab in boxing), some palm strikes are for diverting the energy into the target (such as vibrating palm strike). So from my limited understanding, the palm strikes which have finger pointing up are for dim mak.

19. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

The only other pose that comes close to this is the Wong Fei Hung big open arm sei ping mah stance... Failing that, just standing there looking ripped whilst hundreds of people are fighting each other and you're just in the middle not doing anything is classy indeed... :D

20. komuso

komuso Valued Member

I hear you.

maybe not just standing there doing absolutely nothing though. I think occasionally smashing those foolish enough to come close enough, and then slowly, so slowly, either assuming the one finger stance, or the classic big open arms.

Pure class.

paul