Does this fight look fixed to you? (3min boxing match)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by HawksShadow, Jan 5, 2019.

1. HawksShadow

HawksShadow New Member

I didn't know what board to post this on. Im sure many on here saw the fight , wanted some opinions from you guys on if this fight looKS like a fix to you. It was supposed to be an exhibition match regardless

2. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

Pro boxer, arguably the pound for pound in the world vs a kickboxer he outweighs by 20lbs in a boxing match. Not fixed. And Tenshin is still a beast, but that was never going to turn out well for him.

Grond likes this.
  3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Mayweather Junior is like a kid in a candy store, with a youthful spirit that must have brought him way back to his roots. First he's playful, then serious, then it's over fast. That right hand is why we call him "Money". The huge drama leading up to this fight stunk as always, but it's legitimate fight and a good example of what happens when the world champion gets a chance to give back to the little guys.

Both fighters were and still are undefeated even after this fight. The loser is rich now, right? Wish I was so lucky!

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Whilst the outcome wasn't a suprise, Tenshin definatly sold the knockdowns a little too much, this is Japan after all, they have a history of it.

It's also an exhibition match, so it could easily if been a work anyway. that's kinda the point with exhibition matches, they're not intended as a competition.

David Harrison likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

When it comes to works....

"If it quake like a duck...."

The third knockdown was definitely fake. Mayweather barely connected and it glanced the wrong way. Very dissapointing all round.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I thought it was inconclusive from that angle as to whether the left hook connected or was stopped by Nasukawa's arm.

Either way, some very impressive footwork and feinting going on.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think it was fixed, but that's my default stance for any major fights in Japan so I'll admit my bias. That said, the knockdowns are over sold a lot, and there's no reason to act like that unless you're planning to take them. Which is a shame, since Mayweather would have destroyed him regardless. Nasukawa is a name in Japan though, and I assume Japan is self-aware enough to know its own dubious past with sport fixing, so it might well have been fixed as a way of protecting Nasukawa. Either being told to go down easy if he gets cracked to save Mayweather potentially doing him serious damage, or to protect Nasukawa a little from the loss everyone knew was coming. Whether Mayweather was in on it or not is the bigger question in my mind, rather than whether it was fixed at all.

8. David Harrison

They both looked like they were playing, rather than fighting, though Nasukawa did look genuinely shocked by one or two shots (not ones he went down after though). I guess Mayweather's playful shots are most people's "hit by a truck".

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. BohemianRapsody

I think the issue with the third knockdown was that his equilibrium wasn’t all there by that point anyway. I also think it’s why his corner threw in the towel. Kid was going to get up and keep going anyway, but he had zero chance of doing anything other than taking a beating.

Also, again, there’s a 20 pound difference in their respective fight weights. That’s huge, especially in lighter weight classes. Floyd was better and massively bigger. I genuinely don’t think Tenshin has ever been hit the way Floyd was hitting him- and not just the power but the accuracy- and he just wasn’t prepared for it.

Mitch likes this.
  10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I’ve spoken to a couple of people who done light sparring type training with with world class people helping them prep for an upcoming match , and they’ve all reported at some point getting “tagged” and their opponent apologising.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't really see the appeal, and I don't think it matters if it was a fix or not, the outcome was never in doubt.

Put the best rally driver in the world in an F1 car and get them to race against whoever is dead last in F1 this season and my money would be on the F1 also-ran all the way.

This fight was asking the rally driver to go up against Hamilton, there's no contest.

And none of that implies a value judgement on either person or sport. At the top level you get good at what you train for, and you're operating at a level so far beyond what most people are even capable of that fractions of % points of ability make massive differences within your discipline.

Bring in someone from outside that discipline, even if their chosen field has some crossover, and it's not even a contest.

hewho, Dead_pool, bassai and 2 others like this.
  12. HawksShadow

HawksShadow New Member

I think it was 100% fix 2 or 3 knockdowns were extremely suspect .

WHEN IN HIS CAREER has Floyd KOd anyone in the first round?

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

When has he fought someone who is not a professional boxer and over whom he had a huge weight advantage?

14. David Harrison

Having seen more video of Nasukawa going down in other fights, I'm less inclined to believe this was totally fixed.

From a different angle, that 3rd knockdown looks more like a trip followed by being clipped with a right (the left didn't connect).

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The first knockdown looks massively fishy. Especially the falling around by Nasukawa. Maybe there's a legit shot behind the ear in there though which may have effected the equilibrium and therefore had knock-on effects thereafter. But generally that looks more like a half-trip/half-knockdown with some major play acting.
    The second knockdown is a hard shot I think. A legit right uppercut/hook hybrid from a fighter that's heavier.
    The third knockdown also looks legit.
    IMHO....it started as a bit of play acting on both sides...Floyd pawing and smiling....Nasukawa over-sold the first knockdown by falling on his belly, etc....then Tenshin hit Floyd with a good straight left and Floyd thought "I'm not having that...I'm Floyd Mayweather" so he then landed a hard second knockdown. From then Nasukawa's equilibrium was so shot it amplified the effects of the latter blows and he had no answers.
    Sort of like when some worked wrestling gets a little heated and goes off script.
    So while it does look fishy in places there are legit shots in there and the result is the expected one.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. BohemianRapsody

I don’t think Tenshin was playing. Floyd was, at the very beginning, then Tenshin went after him hard and you can see Floyd’s demeanor change. He goes from chill to stalking very quickly.

My guess is that two things happened. One, Floyd realized the kid wasn’t playing, and two he also realized the kid was too small to hurt him.

Floyd is almost purely defensive until he knows his opponent has nothing for him. Same happened in the Mcgregor fight. Floyd stayed defensive until Conor was completely gassed, then he lit him up.

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Quite a few times. Here's one from 1997