Does size always matter in a street fight?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by musikah, May 6, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Interesting posts. Without having been in a physical altercation in a very long time, I would say no matter what, size is always going to have to make you work harder in order to win a fight.

Edit: I WILL say that pure skill definitely helps, look at the A. Silvia, Mayweather's, take your pick of any boxer or MA, but there's only so much weight you can give up. The best thing to do against a big guy is run. If you have no choice then you would have to be a pure animal... i'm talking biting, scratching lol anything to get clear and THEN RUN... but faster than you would have run before :)

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Targeting (eg Biceps Punch), Intent, Leverage and Causing Objective Injury (eg Biceps Punch, any kind of 'gunting' or Destruction to cause a shutdown)...

Are all means where smaller folk can overcome larger.

I was reminded of this just last night when we doing takedowns in silat.

One of the assistant instructors who weighs maybe 12 stone (168 lbs)
    was showing my training partner how to take me down - As he was having a
    hard time with it.

I weigh 230 lbs (iz all muskles).

And yet with proper understanding of leverage asst instructor was able to take me down no problem. Even when I resisted.

In Silat we're looking to cause objective injury all the time - As in 'Yes that's definitely broken'. I know it's only 'fantasy martials'. I mean it's not real fighting.

But it's always worth noting that if you break, burst, snap or 'shut down' some part of your attacker's structure they're not going to be able to function efficiently. Regardless of how mean and nasty they are.

Be that in 'self-defence' or 'just sports'.

3. cx4

cx4 Valued Member

I deal with stupid violent people often. Size makes a difference when I have to try to subdue someone without hurting them, but once I don't care about that, it's not a factor. I know it seems like it should be, but it just isn't. Usually their body position screams out their favorite strike so you know what they're going to do before they do it.

The real thing isn't like the ring or the dojo. People trying to assault others tend to not be trained. They're often drunk or on drugs. If it's a robbery attempt, they tend to have one or two moves they depend on and no real plan for when those don't work.

We train to deal with other trained fighters. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I tend not to run into people who are looking to throw away years of training, not to mention all the money that went into that training, to test out a theory that they can take an unknown fighter in a situation that will likely lead to either hospitalization or incarceration.

If training isn't providing effective ways to deal with larger opponents, change styles or supplement with something else. Just don't buy into the concept of big = bad.

4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

The big guy dosent always win, especially if you mace him down real good lols. Keith Hackney kicked the crap out of a 600 pound guy in U.F.C. one I think it was, and he used the clinch range to deliver elbows to the head. Bigger dosent mean hes gonna win, it means hes got some advantages though and if hes got some skill then yes he is very likely to win.

5. Saved_in_Blood

I'll just say this. I've been punching bags and such for many years and while I just started back up, I think I can hit pretty hard (when i'm super cut I MIGHT be 150-155lbs). Now my brother in law and I joke around all of the time... he's 6'3 and 265, not cut, but just one of those guys that's just big and still pretty solid. If I get into it with someone like that in real life? Run... I don't have to much pride to get tossed around by a guy that size. I'd just hit him with the kimber pepper gun I have... hope that it works well enough and that he's not one of those guys pepper spray doesn't affect and then run.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

What if they rin faster than you and catch you...

Big guys does not equate to "slow runners"

7. Saved_in_Blood

Honestly, if i'm running, they chase and catch me ... unfortunately at that point I would have to use my knife. At that point I would consider it a life and death situation.

8. bodyshot

Bro be very careful with that, I really think you might need to reconsider your pdw carry options lols. A knife is great in the combat zone but here in civillian land the can of mace or the tazer are your legal options, please reconsider the knife, killing someone who chases you will likely land you in prison for the rest of your life.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Well no, it's not the best option. In Md. real mace is actually illegal the last I checked unless that's changed by now. It's possible though... i'll have to look. Unfortunately, if I don't have a choice right now, then i'll have to stick with the blade.

10. bodyshot

Ya know theres another thing to that my instructor preaches about, dont roll alone go with a couple mates fom the gym or work, if theres three grown men nobodies gonna try strong arm robbery on them most likely, I mean expect the unexpected and all but your odds are pretty good your going back home after leaving the pub. Now about that knife what are you packin?

11. 47MartialMan

At that point, if they still have the breath and caught you, how much of a ego you are stroking thinking you can overcome them? :rolleyes:

12. Saved_in_Blood

I never said that I would take them... I said I would use my knife if caught by someone nearly twice my size. Would I hesitate? Not for one second. If I saw, heard or felt them catching up to me, I would have it out and ready. It's going to be do or die at that point. It's not an ego thing in the least. Besides that, someone seeing that they have been sliced wide open might deter them once blood is rushing out at a rapid rate, don't you think?

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  13. Saved_in_Blood

It's a spyderco police edition 4" blade. This exact one http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2

14. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I'm not a lawyer. But pretty sure Mace is legal in MD. In the Maryland code 4-101 under Dangerous weapons it says:

A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

Some more looking turned up this as well:

"Carrying or wearing chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device concealed is not made illegal by this section if the defendant is an adult. Carrying such a device openly with intent to injure is charged under CR 4-101"

The above based on a quick googling. So do some research, but I read the law to be basically that if you aren't being a dork and waving the mace around or wearing it openly to scare people for no good reason, you are probably fine having it in your pocket or whatever.

Anyways - hope that helps...

15. Saved_in_Blood

Good info... I haven't managed to find it anywhere like you can pepper spray though so maybe they can't sell it here? I don't know... again i'll have to check on that one.

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Pretty sure you can order it. Maybe a gun store or flea market would have some.

I ordered some dog repellant spray from Amazon (never used, but bought cause my dog was attacked). A co-worker of mind has some bear repellant spray around - heh.

17. 47MartialMan

Some how, some way, a pepper spray developer tested or believes that a "Bear Spray" will actually deter a bear.

Like a big person, a spray will only aggitate it more (pending the aggresiveness of said bear/person response)

It is futile to assume that what worked on one bear (or person), may not work on another

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

19. 47MartialMan

Yep. But then you missed;
    http://www.backpacker.com/september_1999_nature_threats_gear_bear_spray_facts/gear/1224

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18948

It is futile to assume that what worked on one bear (or person), may not work on another

I guess the main point I was trying to make, was not put your total faith, or life, into any product

(As I am sure, these products have a warning label in small print on their product somewhat stating the same)

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You should know me better by now than to think I'd miss something like that ;)

It's all explained in the article and it doesn't change the stats.

But I do agree with the principle of your point!