Does ninjutsu work?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Grass hopper, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It was directed at what I'm assuming the message of the joke was meant to portray.

I don't like this side of martial arts, where a guy is pretty much getting worshiped. This whole mystical, magical, invincible master ideal that people cling to. This isn't anything to do with ninjutsu specifically (since this is a sensitive area on MAP I say that as a disclaimer), just the mentality of an unbeatable instructor (especially when he's 80+).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Who is the better fighter and who is the better teacher are not always the same thing.

Ali could whip Angelo Dudee without even breaking a sweat, yet as coaches and trainers the better fighter bowed down to someone who couldn't fight.

No shame in not being able to beat a youngster when you are 80; plenty of shame in the youngster not seeing what they can learn from said 80 yr old

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Yay! Trollfest!

I've missed them :)

4. garth

garth Valued Member

@Ero Sennin

Ok you obviously don't know me as I have been, and still am one of the staunches critics of the Bujinkan even though I am a member.

Secondly I am in no way into hero worship, my whole point in that joke is that you cannot judge someone based on age, which chadderz seems to be doing.

Now you also said that i'm out of touch with reality, and without blowing my own trumpet you know nothing about me. I'm not some young kid that has just left school like Chadderz seems to be.

Besides working in security for 20 plus years, working as a police officer, training the British army in physical intervention, qualified as a trainer in security, Physical intervention and conflict resolution management and being commendated for using my martial arts in a real situation, I feel I know quite a lot about the "Reality" and "The real world"

And in the real world one should know that real self defence skills are not just the reserve of fit young men.

Sorry nothing to do with worshipping anyone, and i'm sorry thats what you think i'm doing. But I do respect a man who is the inheritor of a number of martial arts schools who can perform the skills of those arts to a high degree at the age of 82.

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Personally, I don't think this is a trollfest, nor do I find it threatening, nor is it disrespectful. If someone raises a point it is ok to introspect towards its validity without being treasonous to your art.

You can digest the commentary and take from it what you will, if you can take the emotion out of your reaction and look at it with fudoshin you might be able to learn from it, rather than reject it out of hand.

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Errr....chill dude.

Twas in jest.

I am not the one seeming to get wound up.

:)

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Yeah that's fine. Not aimed directly at you, but people here are treating like you called it rather than chilling.

It's good to question.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Thread locked for the time being whilst the Mods discuss the direction it's heading in. It may be unlocked tomorrow, when we've had a chance to debate a few points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.