Does ninjutsu work?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Grass hopper, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I have to admit that I am still confused by your posts and what your background is. Can you clarify?

i.e.Have you been training (in the Bujinkan) long?

2. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

There is good and bad karate( can't comment on the rest???)
    Good karate has everything to do with martial arts and a very limited connection to sport!
    So in short, your wrong.

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

If one's goal in training (in the buj) is to be able to survive dangerous encounters, then a (hopefully obvious) key dimension is to have an accurate/honest respect for people's (also read arts) strengths as well as their weaknesses

Far too many bujers underestimate the strengths of sport orientated arts and overestimate the strengths of a non-sporting approach in my view

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think it's not just bujers that do it, lots of what we could call 'tma' do it. but i also think that the sports guys maybe do the same thing from their side. i think it has to be a balance, no? i don't know exactly what that balance is, but there's something to be said for both sides. look at a guy like our dearly departed koyo. he did aikido fer chrissakes, what maybe a tapout-wearing mma-er would consider the ultimate mamby-pamby art. but think what would have happened if you confronted him physically; i wouldn't want to be on his bad side.

it's all about being happy in your hobby, right? train hard, get a good workout out of it, learn something. if you can, cross train and test yourself. have respect for others' hobbies.

also, i am totally jealous of some of the posters on this thread that have gone or go to japan to train in the ryu's. it's my dream to go to tokyo and rio to train at the kodokan and gracie humaita. trying to convince the wife for us to hit mundial 2014 in brazil. and then "hey babe, i'm just going to go work out EVERY DAY ALL DAY!"

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

When you visited Koyo's dojo you would meet, Judo, Sombo,Kyokushin Karate, Iado and Kendo guys coming to cross train, some of the pretty high ranked in their own orgs, all of them managing to leave the ego at the door, or Bill just suggested they leave.

6. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I like how folks were discussing Judo and then you switched to "I've seen very highly graded Iaidoka and other 'traditional' Japanese sword school practitioners who COULDN'T even draw a sword without almost cutting their arm off"

and then you came back to finish with "Judo is a great sport and great for fitness, but..." :rolleyes:

7. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Ludicrous :p

Apparently to Sulfa, Judo is like the WWE (that's professional wrestling for our friends across the pond). :evil:

8. Giovanni

judo is just like wwe. fer real....

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I know one thing for absolutely certain. Anyone who has studied any art properly for a decent period of time does not turn around and discount it. In fact anyone that has studied any art seriously does not discount any study, let alone any art, as they can see the value and appreciate the time and dedication it requires to become excellent in.

Furthermore, from a personal perspective, as a ninja who goes up against Judoka I poop my pants a little bit, even against the ones that aren't at Olympic level. Just a good solid guy who trains daily- these people are no joke. Disregarding and disrespecting them is foolish and naive, and not something anyone with any proper experience of training in anything would believe.

10. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Nothing truer spoken on MAP so far this year.

11. Giovanni

awesome post.

12. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

so studying under yanagi ryuken or even yellow bamboo is on the same level as judo/bjj?

that's why I hate generalizations.

13. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I at no point said they were then same level. I said a serious practitioner would respect the other persons study. Its a matter or respecting the act of study not the material.

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Thread tidied up.

I think some people round here need to seriously consider the sort of things they think are appropriate to post on a forum. Da Lurker, that was wildly inappropriate and completely distasteful and posts like that will not be tolerated.

15. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Honestly no offence intended, but I think this idea about everyone's study deserving equal respect is nonsense. To use a non martial-arts example: if one person spends five years training at an accredited university to qualify as an optometrist, and the other spends five years training at an alternative establishment to become a iridologist they can both claim to have spent the same amount of time in study of the human eye. This still doesn't change the fact that iridology is wrong, and that the study thereof is worthy of ridicule and not respect. People don't get to choose their own facts and they don't have a right to not be ridiculed. In fact ridicule can occasionally be a useful tool by which society lets people know that wilful ignorance is frowned upon.

16. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

I can personally see both sides having merit, perhaps mattt's post was taken a tad literally. But the underlying tone of it ie. respect/ humility was/ should be bang on IMHO

17. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Calling yourself a "martial artist" gets no more respect or humility from me than the baseline I (try to) apply for humanity in general.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So after nearly 900 posts...does ninjutsu work? :)
    Because if this thread was in the Muay Thai section it'd be about 5 posts long.

19. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I thought it was answered in the first page.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  20. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

We clearly like to talk :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.