Does my bum look big in this?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by finite monkey, Apr 14, 2012.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I'm in the black head gear:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0CTNVCdrek&feature=youtu.be"]Robbie O'Shea Memorial Cup innaugural challenge - YouTube[/ame]

Appart from just being a bit of an internetz exhibitionist, I would like to hear your critique of my striking form

It was an interesting evening with some SD demos, some patterns including some weopon patterns, some board breaking (how many trees had to die?!), and 8 x 2min rounds of light contact sparing.

It was the innagural meeting of The Robbie O'Shea memorial cup, and guest of honour was Master Ted Hopwood.

The whole affair was realy friendly and I have come away feeling honoured to have taken part

Warrior TKD Took the cup back to West Cork, and the two Cork City TKD clubs that participated will come and visit us next time

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

use those hands!

also, you're leaning back before kicking. this leaves you vulnerable before you've even lifting your leg.

otherwise, not bad, you held your own :)

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I wish we'd had a video camera around when you and I used to roll, Alex.

4. finite monkey

There's still the zombie judo kata :p

5. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

You're a bit far away though. I'd have to organize getting out there then getting back..

6. finite monkey

I had seen my opponant during the demos so I knew his kicks were solid

My plan was to close him down and get busy with my hands..or not as the case may be

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

When you close the distance with the front leg lift, consider quickly planting it and going for a spinning back kick. Especialy if they tend to retreat back and not to the sides.
    Treat it like a boxers jab, (front leg) use it to set up a follow up shot.

Well done :cool:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Very well done for competing, and given that your opponent kept ending up on the floor, I'm surprised you didn't win (perhaps this is the ruleset, I'm not sure?).

If I may,
    When you're punching, it looks to me as if you are more 'putting' your hand onto the opponent, rather than punching: .04 secs, 1.09-1.12 show examples.

But again, well done - and props for putting up a clip of yourself. :hat:

9. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

I think you need to use your kicking leg more. You are hopping in with the leg without kicking - as soon as your leg is up, it should be kicking, getting close to him in this way is not as good as repeatedly kicking out side kicks to get points AND keep him at distance. Also, your hand techniques need to be straighter, so straight punches, and ridge hands where the hands punches to the side and the sweeps across a small arc instead of a swing, and a smaller, faster and more controlled backfist.

That said, very well done, I for one find competition very nerve wracking - shakes all over! :( It takes a lot of confidence to compete, I think and you should be proud.
    Your opponent looked a bit bigger and a much higher belt than you, so you did very well! :D

10. finite monkey

Thanks guys

I was a little intimidated, having seen his kicking technique, and after he glanced my nose at 0:47 I was more cautious

I think the laying on of hands you saw Dan was in part due to the organisers insistance on very light contact, to keep things friendly and set a nice example to the large number of youngsters in the audience...oh, and I punch like a girl ;]

I was happy with my the way I kept in his face for the first part of the fight, stopping him from getting his legs up, but unfortunatly failed to consolidate with my hands

He was pretty shuck from 1:30 onwards, and I reckon I could have made some points back if the fight had gone on another minuit, or onto another round, as I still had plenty of puff left, but if does'nt win the fight!

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Nah yer too weak for that Alex. Girls punch properly. ;)

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Then next time he should ask to take his purse into the ring with him and swing that at the old timers instead.

I honestly thought he won the fight. Him "losing" is absurd.

13. finite monkey

I punch you!

Your still beautiful

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I powerbomb you!

^^I actually did powerbomb him. :D

15. finite monkey

:[

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*dances naked around microlamia, finite monkey and john r. gambit*

17. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

No, you look very sexy.

:p

18. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

*flings daffodils at Fish*

19. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I watched this a second time to make sure my initial assessment was accurate. Yeah, if that had been a genuine fight, finite would have whooped his TKD buttocks.

20. finite monkey

That is very kind of you to say John, but judges decision is final ;]

The verdict was 3 to him 1 tie

*throws bucket of cold water over Fish, Jes and 7th*