Does hair and body hair protect you from attacks?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jaksun, Apr 21, 2019.

1. jaksun

jaksun New Member

I've noticed whenever I shave my beard it sometimes takes a couple of pressed strokes with my razor to get it done with no damage to the skin. So that got me thinking what about with the hair growing on top of my head? Would that protect me from knife slashes? Then about chest hair is that there to protect me from knife strikes and can it to a certain degree along with hard tough muscles? Darwin postulated that lions grew out their manes to protect themselves from other predators and lions from biting their neck. Could human hair also provide this protection to a certain degree? Like growing hair down to your neck can protect the neck and head. Of course it's not like I would just stand there and let them slash me but I could avoid a deeper cut with longer hair and pulling away from the attack.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm afraid you'll get no additional protection.

Consider that a decent blade will cut through thick rope.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Depends on when the last time you washed yourself.

pgsmith and Simon like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Safety razors (the clue is in the name) are designed to cut your hair, not the skin.

Knives are the opposite.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Bear in mind you drag the razor going across the length of the blade rather than along it.
    Using a knife usually involves slashes and cuts using edge alignment and/or stabs using the point. Totally different propositions.
    Although I'd be willing to bet a full head of luscious locks as sported by Jason Momoa might offer slightly more protection than going full captain Picard it'll be so slight as to be negligible in actual reality.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ Smitfire beat me to it. What he said.