Does effective knife defence exist?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Monkey_Magic, May 13, 2018.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

They look more like machetes than knives :(
    Awful that they are confident to carry such large weapons around with any risk of being stopped.

3. Dunc

TBH these attacks look a pretty similar to the fairly typical traditional MA knife defence work
    Big slashes and stabs etc

I appreciate that the people here are not pros but perhaps there’s more chance to apply techniques against these kind of attacks than perhaps we’re giving credit to on this thread

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I've got a couple of thoughts about that:

When both people are armed, you tend to see more fencing style movements, keeping distance and moving in and out to attack. This is kind of obvious, because they don't want to get skewered while they are attacking. You also see a lot of posturing - this is like social domination with raised stakes. You see it in machete videos from developing nations as well, where they try to posture and look scary enough that their opponent will flee - lots of strikes just out of range. I think it takes a particular personality type to coldly go in and just focus on murder without any of the social dynamic and dominance play.

Yes, people do make big slashes, lunges and even overhead stabs in real life. However, they do also use much closer tactics and standing grappling, which is a lot harder to deal with. Seems like the sewing machine attack is kind of seen as a standard for defensive tactics to live up to in the MA world these days.

axelb, Dunc and Knee Rider like this.
  5. Dunc

Yeah I agree

In the old styles of jujutsu you consistently see techniques for dealing with both fairly long range lunges (stabs to the abdomen and slashes to the neck) similar to those in the clip and closer range grabs (lapel, sleeve or wrist) followed by stabs (multiple) or a slash to the neck. Most old styles have these done from both in front and behind

Maybe, and I’m guessing here, these kind of attacks are/were relatively common for untrained people or people having an adrenaline dump and you have a chance to deal with them so it makes sense to train defences. However, a more professional attack with a knife is really, really difficult to deal with so you don’t see so many options being presented

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Best machete defence I saw was on an old MAP thread. I think it might have been Brazil, but the women around the two blokes with machetes picked up metal bin lids and enclosed and separated them.

Not viable around here though. Wheelie bins and recycling boxes aren't quite as handy!

Knee Rider, axelb and Dunc like this.
  7. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

Great question and posts. I can say I have struggled with this for a long time. I was personally attached by someone with a knife a long time ago but at the time I was already a blackbelt in Karate. I can say my training in Karate only set me up technically for a huge cut I got down to the bone on my forearm after a successful block. The mental training from Karate helped me to push through and actually end the attack with nothing more than that one cut but I was not happy as the attacker wasn't really skilled at all.

I personally called Dan Inosanto who was so gracious to talk to me, refer me to the people he considered to be the hands down experts in close quarters knife combatives and even gave me an introduction to them. Thanks to Dan I was able to train with that group specifically to shore up those lacking defense areas. That group was by far supremely secure with knife tactics. Even training with them I felt that there must be something less technical and still sound. I found the "Dog Brothers" who were an offshoot of this group and I really liked there training ideas, tactics and methodologies. I didn't formally train with them but I did train there video series. I still feel that there is simplistic method and training that could be distilled from them and have tried heading in that direction.

To date, I am still working on this process. I pray that I can find something to hand down to my students and family but I still feel there is more work to be done first.