does dit dar jow work?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Swimming Dragon, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Swimming Dragon

Swimming Dragon Valued Member

anyone using dit dar jow ? if so where do u get it? how well does it work? who's formula is best? :bang: wats the worst injury uve recieved that it has cured? :Angel:

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Welcome to MAP. Time to put up an intro ;).

I use ddtj. Teacher makes it. Apparently, it can be bought but each time I try, I end up with the wrong kind of stuff. Damned TCM shops round here sell you anything when they know you can't read the label.

The best thing was when some nutter karate-chopped my arm off and the oil-bottle saw my predicament and even unscrewed its own lid in order to progress my recuperation. It was fantastic.

Rgds,
    David

3. Swimming Dragon

Swimming Dragon Valued Member

lol DAVID.THANX 4 DE WELCOME!

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

David that is great, there was this one time in class where my mate and I were practicing knife defense when he slashed at my face, tired and with the reflexes of a cat napping, he got me in the eyes...

My eyes sealed shut through the sheer volume of tears streaming out. A Dit da Jow bottle from down the road in China Town must have suddenly felt a tremble in the force, jumped out of the packet it was housed it and made it's way across two lanes of busy trafic and up something like 50 stairs where it found me curled up in the foetal position.

From there it comforted me and told me everything was gonna be alright!

Magic. :rolleyes:

5. David

It's a miraculous world. I'm so happy.

:love:

6. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Hello SD et al. It doesn't really cure injuries so much as speed healing, and reduce bruising by increasing localized circulation. Works great if you have a decent formula, but it's not a magic potion (as others have so glibly put). If your sifu doesn't have his own formulas, it may be dificult to get. If you have chinese friends/family or friends who practice traditional cma, they may be able to help you get what you want out of the local chinese herbalist. Good luck!

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Silver is right it's more a treatment for bruising and swellings, though my when I was a kid my dad put some dit da jow on the end of a chopstick and stuck it down my throat as I was having a seriously bad throat!! :eek:

Despite being Chinese I do not really trust chinese medicine and my experience of acupuncture is that it hurts!! :cry: (having said that I was a wee teenager). But the doctor said it hurts because I'm getting better... :confused:

Having said that millions of people seek out TCM and a huge proportion benefit from it! In one of the TCM places back home there is a message book signed by patients. For every one that says TCM does not help and is a waste of million there are twenty that say otherwise. I remember one written by a little girl who said thank you to the doctors for making her mother feel better (she had cancer).

8. muttsnuts

muttsnuts New Member

Mine was bought over the net, and doing Wing Chun, I come home with lots of small cuts and bruises, predominantly on my hands and wrists areas. It seems to work, and I can use it quite sparingly.

BTW, I had accupuncture for mild back-ache, it was the recurring kind...Gone. Didn't find it painful, but then, I'm a smidgin of a masochist... :eek: ;)

9. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Welcome to MAP.

I use it before and after iron palm training to protect my hands.

I make my own Dit Da Jow a gallon at a time using the pre-ground ingredients from this website:
    https://www.ancientway.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=944

Dit Da Jow (Cantonese) or Tieh Ta Chiao (Mandarin) means "Hit and Fall Wine" (or liniment). Jow, as it is commonly referred to, can be broken down into two types: Han Dit Da Jow (cold hit medicine) and Rei Dit Da Jow (hot hit medicine).
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/magazine/fitness/ditdajow.htm

10. 7starmantis

7starmantis New Member

Yes, I use it for iron training and for specific bumps and bruises I get throughout my training. In fact, I'm about to go apply some to my shins, forearms and ribs right now.

Curious about Chimpcheng's comment about his dad sticking it down his throat....As far as I've been told (and it may have to do with the formula) jow is quite poisonous and shouldn't be used even if you have an open cut, let alone ingested. I guess maybe its different formulas?

I get mine from either New York (Chiu Luen) or my sifu's kung fu brother makes some and he is in austin. Chiu Luen's recipie is much better for advanced trainers.

7sm

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I love the idea of their being this sort of stuff you can have home made recipies for, it's so cool!!

I gotta ask how the stuff compares to deep heat or freeze spray though? They sound like virtually the same thing to me.

12. 7starmantis

7starmantis New Member

No, not at all. Deep Heat or Freeze is for muscle issues primarily, while jow is for impact or bruising issues primarily. Tiger Balm or Wisest Oil would be the equivalent to Deep Heat or something like.

7sm

13. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

So does it have its equivalant in western medicine?

14. 7starmantis

7starmantis New Member

Nope, not really.

7sm

15. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

it works well with me. whenever i had bruises after Kung-fu class i'd rub it many times. it seems to spread the bruising out, so it's not as concentrated, making it easier to heal.

16. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Hmm... I've heard it's similar to Absorbine Jr.

17. 7starmantis

7starmantis New Member

Thats more along the lines of "Wisest Oil", not Jow. Jow is for Impact "injuries". It doesn't get hot or cold either. Also, its not for releiving pain per se.

7sm

18. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Yes some formulas are for external, internal or both. The originals had toxic heavy metals and some added ingredients that were poisonous..such as Tao Ren (Peach seed kernel), Ding Xiang (Clove tree) and Da Hung (Rhubarb). The ancientways formula has removed the heavy metals but still has the poisonous herbs...so external only is good.

Other components of Dit Da Jow are that some formulas are meant to be only topographically applied and some are formulated for internal use. Whereas some formulas are designed to be used for both applications. Typically an external formula is used to repair traumatic injury at a surface level. This can be bruises, sprains, and impact trauma that everyone sees occasionally while training Hung Kuen. Consistent use of a good formula can help to toughen the skin and bones and keep the affected areas in good circulation with no stagnant blood clots. Internal formulas can be taken when there is an injury that goes farther then the superficial layer of impact. Potentially after a blow to the solar plexus or a kick to the kidneys. An internal formula will assist in repairing damage deep inside the body and help to jump start the healing process with increased circulation and some minor thinning of the blood.
    http://www.hunggar.net/ditda.htm

19. David

There're two classes of ddj - one's alcohol based and the other is oil-based so it can be massaged into injuries. One's safe for internal use and use on areas of broken skin whilst the other is not. I can't remember which is which so act as if they both 'dangerous'.

Rgds,
    David

20. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

Every time I have used it for bruising, sprains, any ligament problems as well as muscular, the pain has disapered in under 3 hours, beutiful stuff.