Does boxing have a different hook to MT/MMA?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Maryreade1234, May 13, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so now that were allowed to meet people one on one im training again with my boxing trainer. Most of the moves seam to be the same as what I was taught in MMA and Muay thai.

But the left hook seams strange. He is telling me to maintain balance and not pivot the foot much. In muay thai I was taught the power of a left hook comes from the hips and turning. Is this normal for boxing left hook or is he teaching me something strange?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You can load up a lot more in boxing. You can dip at the knees and torso and come up and really put your weight into it. In Thai if you drop down at all you run the chance of eating a knee.

In MMA you can use both.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

When I do boxing he has me bend my knees a bit.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Normally as pip says you dips knees roll the shoulder more and transfer weight from front to back foot by pivoting but because of the dip and shoulder roll you can still generate power and stay square if you want to follow up with other shots

Look at the recent videos of Tyson for examples of this
    Mike Tyson declares 'I'm back' as he shows off hand speed and punching power

Mitch, axelb and Grond like this.
  5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You are a beginner so your baby hook will benefit from staying away from anything fancier for now. Later on you can start experimenting with different hooks, because hooks are an art all their own.

There is really no one left hook in boxing. There are in fact several varieties that benefit different styles of fighter or situation. Tyson's power hooks work for Tyson because he is Tyson, but other types of left hooks lend themselves to pivoting, and combinations better than others. Mayweather's solid check hook is a great example of a nonstandard (underutilized, some might say) hook.

The easiest way to see this is to watch videos of different boxers

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Or just trust your coach and do.as he says until you know enough to look elsewhere

axelb and Grond like this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You said it in fewer words but yeah, don't worry so much about throwing monster or even "proper" hooks when you start out, they're going to suck so bad at first you will just be trying to maintain your posture. Later on is the time for wild pivot hooks and other boxing magic.

8. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Yeah cool. I will just trust him and use the hook he teaches me for now. I was just wondering why he was teaching me a completely different left hook to the one all my other trainers have taught me.

Grond likes this.
  9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

There is really no right way other than the one that puts your fist through the side of your opponents face, no matter where your feet are at. Yeah you train and spar to get all the technical details right, but in the end it's whatever works for you, which is probably why he's teaching you that particular hook (it works for him). That's the honest truth.

Hooks take advantage of guard exposures, and even a sloppy hook, executed at the right time, gets points or a KO if it lands right. The more variety of hooks in your toolkit, the less sloppy you will be over time when trying one. Hooks were always my worst technique both offensively and defensively, because I'm more of a 2-dimensional boxer than some guys who will literally dance around you like ballerinas and all you will see is stars because they are raining pivot hooks around your guard. I wish I had that kind of agility.

Anyway, "empty your cup" is, I believe, the Tai Chi version of this concept. ;) I read that on a website yesterday, what a great line. With that, how about a montage of boxing left hook KOs. You can see the wide variety right here.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

"People in England get more freedom to move around and can meet someone from another household if they are two metres apart."

Coronavirus lockdown: What you can do - and what you still can't

I don't want to be a party pooper, but unless you've got really long arms, your not supposed to be having contact with people outside your household yet.

axelb, Unreal Combat and hewho like this.
  11. Dead_pool

axelb likes this.
  12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I ran into a question about hook punches awhile back. What I learned is that there seems to be a lot of variance with this punch in particular. My co-worker, who is a long time MAist, thought I was doing it wrong, but I learned there is just a wide variety of how they are done. Fist position, weight distribution in executing it etc.

I would ask your instructor why he teaches it that way. In a respectful way of course. When I asked my instructor about my issue of variance with the hook, he explained the different theories as to why we do it the way we do and also why other styles taught it differently. Both have validity, and so came away understanding the punch with more depth.

Find out more about the theory behind why it is done in different ways. Here is good, but always ask your instructor as well. :) Ask to learn about the theory behind what you are studying. Don't just do it that way because you are taught, understand it better. It will only help you improve.

(Here is the thread where I asked about hook punch differences.)
    Hook Punch questions

Grond likes this.
  13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

The power of a hook does come from the hips and turning, but you shouldn't over turn the foot in any of the striking arts ideally.

You shouldn't over pivot the foot in Muay Thai or K1 because if you over pivot and someone leg kicks you then you will be pretty off balance (which is why we also don't stand with a bladed stance).

A smaller, more subtle, pivot is better and allows you to recover much faster for another strike or for defence.

If you are making massive foot pivots and huge swings with your hooks, you are doing it wrong. Regardless of the art.

David Harrison likes this.
  14. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

They can still enforce the no reasonable reason to be outside if you are exercising with someone not from your family, especially if you are paying a trainer

Not to mention it's stupidly moronic to be flouting these guidelines when people are dying just because you want to work out and can't wait a few weeks

Mitch, axelb, aaradia and 2 others like this.
  16. Dead_pool

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

This is the kind of attitude that will lead to a second spike in COVID-19 infections.

If you want to be totally selfish about it, as it seems you do, then consider that a second spike might mean gyms are closed until next year.

As someone who knew a lovely man in his 30's who died of COVID-19 in London, I personally find it disgusting.

axelb, aaradia, Grond and 2 others like this.
  18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Plus, depending on the MA/ruleset, overcommitting to rotation can be a good way to give someone your back.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  19. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

I don't think meeting one on one in a park is gonna make much difference. People threw massive street parties last week for VE day(And the government encouraged it), the tube was packed earlier as everyone has gone back to work (Under governments advice).

The people in the park breaking lockdown is just a nice scapegoat to distract attention away from the fact the government has done very little to stop the spread.

20. Dead_pool

Your responsible for your own actions.

Just because Boris is a fool, doesn't mean you should be too

Your opening up an additional vector from and to yourself.

If your padman is doing the same with one other person a day that's multiple people your getting vectors from straight away.

And that's with a newly healed broken arm, against medical advice.