Does anyone use a powerball?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayKayD, May 2, 2005.

1. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Mines just arrived, its bloody awkward, cant even get the hang of the pullstring at the moment, it keeps getting caught up.
    Bah, more practice!

2. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Just got the hang of it. It bloody hurts.

Ha, can only get it to 7288. How the hell do they do anything over 10k

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  3. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Just got the thing today and I got 1067 first try after i put the timer thing on it. Left hand is close but I'm not as coordinated on that side

My arms are going to hurt tomorrow.

4. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

I'm still waiting on the exercise science. I can't deny that people are claiming benefits in their grip, but this tool seems to rely strictly on generalized tension. That's fine for gross strength development, but it doesn't translate to sophistication of motor coordination, joint ROM, cardiovascular health, breath integration, balance, or any number of other fitness measures. Sounds like a fun toy, but not something to make into "a lifestyle."

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Well, it works for me. My grip always gets better after a few days of using it. If that isn't enough for you, then I'm sorry. I will go and tell Louie Simmons that he should get his methods checked out scientifically :rolleyes:
    I'm all for science, but many times the proof is in the pudding my friend. The aim with it IS mostly fun, but it can work wonders for your grip and for the inactive person it's a great toy at the office/home.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  6. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Im going to agree that my grip has improved loads since i have got the thing not that i care as i do no joint locks or grappling but at least it has go better if i ever get into it.

Are you saying you cant see why it helps your grip because i can just trying to hold onto the thing at about 10,000rpm is hard and severly helps your grip.

7. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I dunno, before using it when I rotate my wrist - my wrist has always made cracking noises, after I use it my wrist feels smooth like its easier to move in big circles....

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I got one of these things today, they are awesome!!! I've been using it all day already and as a result I seem to be able to type faster and my fingers and wrists have started to move in a more circular fashion. Really interested to see what sort of results I get from consistent practice.

9. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Hehe, try and type like that tomorrow, you won't even be able to MOVE your arm if you've been using it all day.

10. Mister_Ball

Mister_Ball Just your average guy

Woooooo!!! one just got delivered today and man this is fun lol. Took a while to it going i have to admit but once i did then couldnt put the thing down, only reason iv stopped is because i dont want my arms to be dead tomorow and not be able to use it some more. To anyone reading this wondering on getting one(thats what i did) i strongely recomend it.

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I have started using my powerball a lot recently, so I thought of a few interesting additions to this thread.

Firstly, I think it may be cool to have a score board to see how us MA’ist are doing in the powerball RPM range, personally mine is not that great, the most I managed to spin was 10722, how’s about ya’ll?

Secondly, I have been experimenting with different ways of spinning and have sort of come up with a forearm/grip workout. Basically, I do it by spinning at the highest intensity I can muster, and when I cant muster no more I switch hands, and I do this for however long, until I get through all the possible hand positions and spins. So, it pretty much goes like this:

Spinning Anticlockwise when in Right Hand – Clockwise when in Left Hand

1) Right Hand outstretched and straight in front of your body
    2) Left Hand outstretched and straight in front of your body
    3) Right Hand raised and straight above head
    4) Left Hand raised and straight above head
    5) Right Hand stretched and straight out to the side
    6) Left Hand stretched and straight out to the side
    7) Right Hand stretched and straight down at your side
    8) Left Hand stretched and straight down at your side
    9) Right Hand stretched as far back behind you as if someone is twisting your arm
    10) Left Hand stretched as far back behind you as if someone is twisting your arm

There are a couple of more positions, but they are a bit difficult to explain, basically the same sort of principle that Scott Sonnon uses in his “Warrior Wellness: Six Degrees of Freedom” program, if anyone is familiar with that. But as the title suggests it is to do with using as many angles of movement as you can.

After I finish spinning in one motion I switch over to spinning Clockwise with the Right Hand and Anticlockwise with the Left Hand. Then, after I have gone through all the movements with this sort of spinning motion, I switch to spinning with an up and down motion of the wrist and go through all the hand positions again.

How’s about you, how do you use your powerball?

12. ecosys

ecosys New Member

Practically the exact same as me :)

Except for number nine and ten which I havn't done before, and I alternate between clockwise and anticlockwise with my right (without switching), then onto the drills with the left.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  13. Obiw4n

Obiw4n New Member

Hi here is my highscore:

[​IMG]

:) :) :)

Have you already tried the 90s training sessions??

14. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

dam Obi.. thats preaty good.. I've managed 11268 so far.. I love the way these things make your forearms feel like their gonna blow..

Whats the 90s training sessions??

15. Obiw4n

Obiw4n New Member

16. Ad McG

The Akis videos don't work on your site mate.

Have a look here for another Powerball forum, regulars here might recognise a few people from round here :)

The Powerball Arena

17. Obiw4n

Obiw4n New Member

18. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

I've got mine up to 12230 using my right hand and about 8000 using my left. However, my average top speed is about 10700.

It will be a while before I can try and break that record as me right wrist is a bit messed up at the moment. However the PB is helping my rehab so it won't be long.

19. lala223

lala223 New Member

They look fun, but kinda painful... :eek: (but I'm very tempted to buy one!) Would I be able to get away with playing with one on the tube/train without looking like a nutter? :D

20. Ad McG

No, they're pretty loud and will require a bit more space than a train seat!