Does anyone use a powerball?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayKayD, May 2, 2005.

1. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Doubt? It works my bicep to a high degree, I do it every other day, and my shoulders too... or am I imagining them feeling very fatigued in those specific locations... :confused:

I've had a powerball for 4 months that i've used constantly, it's toned up from my hands all the way to my shoulders, I see them every day. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

How much/often do you use it?

3. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

OOOHHH NOOOOO not the dreaded "T" word !!!!!

4. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Got mine today and i hate the thing already i just cnt get the hang of it at all any tips people please.

5. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Sharkey>everyone has trouble at first, but once you got it you'll never have a problem again. The trick to starting it is slow, wide circles with the wrist. I cannot emphasise how important this is. You can tell when your in sync with the ball because it makes a smooth hummy, swooshey noise as opposed to clattering. :D From there just keep the rhythm smooth, and make the wrist circles smaller and quicker, but dont try and speed it up too quickly or you lose the rhythm and the clattering starts again. If this doesnt help, check out the forum on www.powerballs.com for more help. :)

6. Rhizome

Actually mate that does help lots thanks, one more question what direction should your wrist be rotating for both hands for e.g say your right wrist should it be rotating clockwise or counter clockwise.

Thanks again mate.

7. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

You guys HAD to make me order one of these things....... :mad:

8. Rhizome

Ok so after the help i received last night i have now got the hang of it. These things are damn fun like and addictive. Now to keep practicing to get a decent score.

9. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Really? It works your biceps? The action you've described doesn't sound like you'd be taking your biceps through a very large range of motion at all. Your biceps probably get fatigued from spinning the ball, the biceps will contract and lengthen in tiny motions, meaning that it will work, and get fatigued, but you will get very little to no bicep strength benefits.

And I wouldn't use the word tone either, it makes you sound stupid. Sorry to be blunt, don't take it personally, just avoid using it.

You'll most likely feel it in your shoulders again because your delts will be contracting and lengthening quickly but in short movements, also they will be holding the weight of your arm out.

So basically, doing that might fatigue your arm a little bit, but it won't give you any good strength benefits.

10. Richdog

Well why dont you buy one and try it then you can say it with 100% surety. :)

That's alright I don't take it personally. I'm by no means stupid, and I have the grace to talk to people on this forum in a civilised and mature manner without telling them what words thay can and can't use (lol!) so i'm afraid it's you who doesn't look very good mate to be honest. ;)

By toned I meant I can see more definition in my arms and shoulders than before I started with, and if that isn't the correct use of the word (though it is the common one) then fair enough, at least have some courtesy to point it out in a mature fashion without making yourself sound like a complete ****, as you most certainly did.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  11. beef

beef New Member

Tone is perfectly acceptable:

Tone:

Physiology.
    a. The normal state of elastic tension or partial contraction in resting muscles.
    b. Normal firmness of a tissue or an organ.

toned:
    To make firmer or stronger. Often used with up: exercises that tone up the body.

I know what your talking about Richdog.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  12. Rhizome

When people refer to tone it usually involves light weights which is a big myth. The tone or definition of your arm or even any other muscle in your body is dependant on one thing and one thing only your bodyfat % the lower the bodyfat the more defined a muscle is.

13. Richdog

lol well is it ok if I say that my forearm etc has got a lot 'harder'? :D

14. Rhizome

lol yeah :)

15. JayKayD

Well ive got mine and i was going to post that i couldn't get it to work but all of a sudden i got the hang of it, and its now in the process of tearing my arm up.

One question... how do you get it to stop?! im scared to let go!

16. JayKayD

Is there a knack to starting it without the pull string?

17. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Sharkey>I'm glad I was able to help you, and sorry I havn't got back sooner. Personally, I think I rotate it both clockwise and anti-clockwise in both hands, possibly more anti-clockwise, but I dont think it matters, whatever is comfortable for you. As for JayKay, LOL, you'd never have guessed such a small thing could be so intimidating eh? :D To stop it, just stop rotating your wrist, but keep hold of the ball, squeeze it hard or it will go flying, believe me I know ;) , and just wait until it stops spinning. Dont, whatever you do, let go of it, or it will start clattering and damage the mechanism. Oh, and dont try and stop it by holding the gyro, that smarts a bit :p . Also, some people can start it without the string, it's apparently just a matter of getting the gyro up to about 1500rpm before you start rotating your wrist, by flicking it with your thumb or something. However, I am also stuck with my red string still :woo: .

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Just put your finger on the actual ball bit and slow it down, it won't damage it but watch out because it can burn a bit sometimes if it goes really fast. That's the way I do it anywya when I'm going for maxes.

19. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

On the official website it says by spinning it anti clockwise your working your lower inside forearm, or by spinning it Clockwise your working your outer higher forearm. It could be the other way around but thats what the owner said.
    Its in the Discussion section somewhere.

20. Darkclownxx

Darkclownxx Valued Member

i was going to get the metal one without the counter but then i thought i wouldnt know how fast it is so im going to get one of the standard ones maybe treat myself with one that lightens up :rolleyes: