Does anyone use a powerball?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayKayD, May 2, 2005.

1. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I've just discovered the marvelous powerball gyro thing for building wrist/forearm strength, and i was just wondering how they work. Do you choose a speed setting or something? can anyone explain to me how you work it?

The main reason i ask is because im considering whether to get the normal one, or to get this bad boy;

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page=title&r=GADG&title=185174

Its considerably faster/heavier, however if you have no control over the speed i don't want it ripping my arm off on my first attempt.

Can anyone help?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

If I can handle the "bad boy" so can you. :D ;)

Got mine up to 12,000 so far

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I have a normal one, and can get it up to nearly 12 000. The metal ones look awesome though. It works using a gyroscope, and you gradually build up the revs by rotating your wrist faster and faster and in smaller tighter circles. I havnt used mine in a while now, but its great for building whole arm strength (you can alter what muscle group you isolate by holding it in different ways), and also great fun for giving it to mates and having a "who can spin it the fastest competition"! :D Check out www.powerballs.com for more info.

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm actually typing one handed- I'm running my powerball in my other hand! It won't "rip your arm off" it'll just fly out of your hand and break something expensive. Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember to have a look at Ebay before buying - they go so cheap on there it's amazing

5. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

YES! I started a craze on a PC forum I moderate at, my girlfriend now has one, and her friends are buying one too. I'm trying to get a little powerball leaderboard going with some small competitions and prizes sponsored by powerball.com. :D

I love mine, it helped get my left forearm to match my right (I looked a bit like a robber crab before :eek:) and now both are rock solid (especially my right. The powerball is perfect for Wing Chun or most Kung Fu, I imagine it would be great for CLF.

I love mine, although it doesn't run as smooth as it did do...

My highest score is 12'344. :cool:

6. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Thanks a lot for the responses, i'll order mine tomorrow :D

I'll get the metal one, it just looked a bit forboding especially because i didn't know how it worked.

Oooooh i didn't know that. Is there any sort of guide on the different positions (on the website or something) or do you just figure it out for yourself? if the latter, can you recommend any positions?

7. Richdog

Whoa I cant believe how cheap they are on play.com... £15 for the regulars! And the metal one only £25... I may have to order one. :D

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Oh but then you must upgrade to Neon model in colors !

Awesome with the lights off ;)

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

10. Richdog

The lights dynamo makes the action less smooth, my friend has one. Besides, the lights are useless. :D

11. Another Muay Thai Guy

I do remember reading some very basic tips on how to work different groups, but I can't remember where, sorry! However, just experiment, change arm positions and you can work out which muscles are being isolated because they start to burn, lol! :D

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Nah ... I don't find that so.

Oh heck... you can pretend you're Frieza or Gohan or one of those characters :D

13. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

I read that spinning it at low speeds tones the muscle while high speeds cause muscle growth.

ps. thinking of getting one now they look awesome, will the help me do thing like pressups ??

14. Another Muay Thai Guy

NOOOOOOOOO! The "T word" has entered the thread!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    On a side note, go for it Martial Alex, they help build overall strength throughout your arms, so yes it probably would help with press ups.

15. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

They are great fun, my top score is nearing 12k but I have never consistently used it over time. I want to start doing it soon though.

All I can say is get one, you won't regret it!

16. uki

uki Banned Banned

be careful, if your methods aren't accepted by the masses, you'll be damned. :)

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Have to look into these things.

18. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I have one, but haven't used it in a while.

My top score is nowhere near these 12k people though. Looks like I'm practicing that all week :D

19. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Ive never seen em before in my life. But nopw im buying one.
    Im sure this place is just a market stall for fitness equipment.
    Adam McG got his dabs in shares of all these companies im sure of it.

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

haha, I wish, I could make a mint! I recommend good products, that's all. If I think something is good, I will suggest people try it if it fits their needs, if it's poor then I will recommend avoiding it. Simple :)