Does anyone know of jishukan ryu

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by DaleTheMachine, Mar 12, 2014.

1. DaleTheMachine

DaleTheMachine New Member

Jishukan ryu is a fairly new martial art (less than 100 years old) combining elements from jujutsu, kempo and jodo. Website link removed. We can discuss whether anyone else has experience with this style without shilling for its website.

I am just wondering if anyone else studies this martial art and maybe we can have a chat about it. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Never heard of it. What it's like? Much sparring?

3. DaleTheMachine

Its more of a self defence based martial art, so not much sparing is involed, its pretty much a mixture of traditonal jujustu and kempo, since its a tradional art we do alot of kata, but we apply parts of our kata in self defence situations (eg a king hit, someone grabbing your shirt and laying into you etc.). I like it 'cause its learn and fighting at the same time. But I'm a nerd so.... Yeah. ;)

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Google does wonders.

From what I had read, interesting. but like many arts, there is turmoil once the head instructor passes

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:confused: No offense, but that makes no sense whatsover.

Self defence based arts, like all martial arts, should have sparring involved IMO. Now if you are doing a performance art, like modern Wushu, it may not be needed. But any art purporting to teach fighting needs sparring of some type.

No disrespect inteded towards your art, but I just strongly disagree with your above statement. Particularly the way it is said like it is a given or the logical conclusion that sparring is not a part of self defense martial art.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It depends on how sparring is defined, there is the argument that from an SD point of view sparring keeps you in the habit of staying engaged and not seeking escape at an opportune moment and that you develop a dueling mentality of trading blows back and forth.

Some would see scenario based resistance training as being more valuable from a self defence perspective.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Are your kata one or two person forms?

9. DaleTheMachine

Both.

10. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Is this supposed to make sense?