Does anyone here practice yi quan?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by 23rdwave, Feb 23, 2015.

1. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

I study Han Shi Yi Quan in Sacramento, California with Martin Wong. Martin is a former student of Sam Tam (yi quan) and Henry Look (guang ping yang taiji, hsing i, ba gua). I studied taiji and hsing i with Henry until I came to Martin 16 months ago.

Here are some videos of what we do.
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYh8_LpVB04[/ame]
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJiWQ8qVA3c[/ame]
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL3...&v=S3PCtMV-SWI
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aRzWxZie6w0[/ame]
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIaty7um8g[/ame]
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOEpz7WOM7U[/ame]

How do you train your yi quan?

Nick

2. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Yip Heising was a student of Hon Sing Yuen (Han Xing Yuan) the brother of Han Xing Qiao:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojK8zZO4tw4"]Master Yip Yi-Quan - YouTube[/ame]

An old friend passed away a few years ago.

3. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Thank you for the video. Sorry for your loss.

4. runcai

runcai Valued Member

From wiki:

'Wang Xiang Zhai, the creator of Yiquan, made a public statement regarding Wu Yihui in 1928 saying, "I have traveled across the country in research, engaging over a thousand people in martial combat, there have been only 2.5 people I could not defeat, namely Hunan's Xie Tie Fu, Fujian's Fang Yi Zhuang and Shanghai's Wu Yihui."

Wang Xiang Zhai and Wu Yihui were known to be close friends. When Wu started teaching Liuhebafa Wang instructed 4 of his students to study under Wu. They were: Han Xing Qiao, Zhang Chang Xin, Zhao Dao Xin, and Gao Zhen Dong. These 4 students later became known as the "4 Diamond Warriors" of Yichuan.'

Han Shi mean Han Style, so it should be a development from Yiquan and Liuhebafa, which were developed in the 1920's, or open to public so to speak. In a way one can differentiate Han style from Yiquan taught in Beijing.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

How do you not defeat 2.5 people? Does that mean that he had two losses and a draw on his record?

Strange way of putting it, whatever it means!

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

The .5 of a person didn't have any arms or legs - just a torso and head. He won by biting Wang Xiang Zhai's ankles.

:p

7. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Han Shi Yi Quan is Han Xing Qiao (father) and Han Jing Chen's (son) version of Yi Quan. It is their belief that HSYQ is the true Xing Yi Quan.

8. runcai

runcai Valued Member

What is true Xing Yi Quan?

9. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Han Shi Yi Quan uses the five elements fists of Xing Yi Quan but reengineered to be more martially effective.

It's the body state that is most important. The following description, though not from HSYQ, explains it well.

"In Wuji stance (Preparatory Stance) one should have the whole body be 放松 Fangsong (Relaxed), but this is only for a minute or two, where then one uses 紧 Jǐn (Tautness/ Tonus) when doing the actual Zhan Zhuang. As it's this that will create a 松紧带 Sōng​jǐn​dài (Elastic) quality, like a rubber band, throughout the body and limbs.

But what one doesn't want to do, and too many people are continuing to do it this way, where their body is 松懈 sōng​xiè (relax efforts / to slack off / to take it easy / complacent).

In a fight you want to be 轻松 Qingsong (effortless / uncomplicated) but this can only really be there if you've used 紧 Jǐn (Tautness) in your training and developed the 松紧带 Sōng​jǐn​dài (Elastic) quality of your body, or another way to say it- In order to be Effortless (轻松 Qingsong) in a fight, you have to put out a lot of effort (紧 Jǐn) in your training practice.

轻松 Qingsong is a mental and physical thing. So our whole body and limbs are 紧抱 jǐn​bào (tight embrace), like holding the movement back, then when you actually move it will already be 集拢 Jí​lǒng​ (gathered/ assembled) like an army ready to charge forward.

As it becomes a habit, it begins to create a change in one's 精神状态 jīng​shén​zhuàng​tài (mental state) and their 生理状态 shēng​lǐ zhuàng​tài (physical state) and then allows them to, very quickly, 集拢 Jí​lǒng​ (gather) up their defenses for a fight or defending against an assailant."

10. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Is there any different to the traditional teaching as in Wike:

The Three Stages of Training Power (Jin 劲) in Xing Yi[edit]
    Generally speaking, it is accepted that in Xing Yi (at least in Hebei-derived lineages), there are three stages to a practitioner's development of power and overall skill.[34][51] These three stages develop and change in parallel to all other training methods, and dictate the quality of one's training methods. The following is a description of these three stages (a translation of classic texts[52][53][54] by Devlin G. Horrinek):

Ming Jin 明劲 ('Clear-to-see Jin') - The strength and form must be strong, precise, and clear. Extend outward with force. When putting out force it must pass through, penetrate, pierce, connect, be pliant, ferocious, round, firm, have a shaking-cutting strength, and deliver explosive force. Practice and drill the hand techniques to develop the external 5-Elements and the elbows to develop the internal 5-Elements. Advancing and retreating with bent legs as if wading through mud (tang ni; refers to the practice and intent of Plow/Mud Stepping) like "walking while plowing through mud". This is the stage of Ming Jin.
    An Jin 暗劲 ('Hidden Jin') - One must have already grasped and have a strong foundation in the Ming Jin stage. Then you can start on the second stage. Now when using strength you contain it and don't reveal it on the outside. Store up (xu) but don't emit (fa). Deliberately store up your Jin. The power to 'fa' emit is held back but not released, to the opponent this feels very powerful and strange and then you can emit. This is called "Treading on thin Ice" [And the feeling is like when walking on an iced-over lake and never knowing when, or if, you're going to break through the ice.]. This is the stage of An Jin.
    Hua Jin 化劲 ('Transforming Jin') - This is considered the highest stage of practice. You must have already grasped the stages of Ming Jin and An Jin and have a very strong foundation in them. You should have a lot of experience in fighting as you must know that this stage is 'Sheji Cong Ren' (same as in Taijiquan). Give up yourself and comply with the opponent. Use 'Zhan, Lian, Nian, and Sui' (sticky, link, adhering, and complying). Everywhere you need to be empty and not exerting strength. The whole body must be blending and smooth (hun yuan - smooth roundness) and not starting and stopping. This is the skill of 'The opponent does not know me, I alone know the opponent.' At any time, place, or moment you can emit (fa), but only emitting force at the precise moment. This is the Hua Jing stage.

11. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

"There was, however, another, foreign something to disturb my black leisure. From a fairly young age, you see, I had been visited by a strange figment: 0.6 person. This figment arose as follows. One day, while leafing through a geography book, I came across this line: "In the country's northern latitudes the population per square mile is 0.6 person." It stuck in my mind's eye like a splinter. I squinted and saw a flat white field stretching away past the horizon, a field divided into right-angled square miles, snow slowly falling in large, lazy flakes. And in every square, where the diagonals intersect, it, a stooped, thread-paper body bent low to the bare, ice-covered ground: 0.6 person. Exactly 0.6. Not just half, not half a person. No. A small, dissymmetrizing fillip had attached itself to "just." The incompleteness, contradictory as this may seem, had been infiltrated by a remainder, an "over and above."

I tried to banish the image. It would not go. Then suddenly one of those semi-beings (I could clearly see the ones in the squares closest to my eyes) slowly began to turn toward me. I tried to avert my eyes, but I couldn't: They seemed to have fused with the dead empty sockets of 0.6.

And not a blade of grass anywhere, not so much as an ice-covered rock, not a speck; only windless air and snow slowly falling in large, lazy flakes.

From then on, 0.6 person took to visiting me on my empty days. During my black intervals. This was not a ghost, a vision, or a sleepy reverie. No, it was just that: a figment."

"Autobiography of a Corpse" Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015