Does anyone here like to fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

how come everyone on these boards want to be warriors but no one likes to fight.....does anyone else here just like to fight

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm sort of a coward. Street fights i do my absolute best to avoid in most cases but in a cage fight or any MA sparring I'll go with anyone. I'd jump on the mats with a gracie if i was asked

3. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Daniel: You're afraid to fight?

Miyagi: Always afraid to fight.

Daniel: But you train Karate!

Miyagi: So?

Daniel: Karate is training to fight!

Miyagi: That what you think???

Daniel (thinks for a sec): No...

Miyagi: So why we train Karate?

Daniel: So we don't have to fight.

Miyagi: (chuckles) Miyagi have hope for you, Daniel-san.

There's a lot of truth in that quote (and I recall using it in another thread a while back) :cool: Another one I like is by koyo; "it is those who are prepared for war that are most often left in peace".
    One of my goals in martial arts is to be able to defend myself should the necessity arise. It is NOT to further a mindset that "I want to fight, I want to fight, this MA should help me kick some butt!!!"

I should point out that there is a difference between enjoying a good tussle and liking to fight. I love free rolling, etc., but I don't consider that "fighting" in the way the word is being used here.

4. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

How about you,do you like a good dust up.

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i love to fight...in fact at one time i would say i lived to fight. the real deal is way more fun than the "ring"
    however the consiquences are so great (legal and physical) that i mainly have to limit myself for pretend fighting ...sport fighting.

that being said most sport fighters i have contended against were better fighters than the guys i have encountered in the "street"

i use street loosly cause its kinda cliche

6. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i dont really like being a wise guy on the net but you guys leave me little choice.

lets see. a quote from a crappy 80s movie, buy a third rate actor and a guy who never took a ma in his life......and uterly unrealistic....

and as far as koto quote...which is the one i really want to address......while it sounds nice. this is the kinda thing you see to the general public when you want to pass your big defense spending bill. (or the line you give to mom so she can spring for boxing lessions)

historically it is untrue ccontrys that prepare for war ...ussually go to war....watch any large millitary buildup...sooner or latter the generals,troops and nationalistic public start itching for a fight.

example...mongols,napoleonic france, nazis, solviets, imperialist japan, the USA....should i go on....it would be harder to find a country that prepared for war and DIDNT fight

7. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I thought part of being a "wise guy" was that you actually had to be clever/funny? ;)

A very good 80s movie.

I haven't seen any of his other movies, but let me tell you he was awesome in Karate Kid. :cool:

You totally miss the point. I never claimed he was a "real" martial artist, I simply said the quote has a lot of truth and applies well to what I think is the proper mindset to study martial arts.

Koyo has studied Aikido for 50 years, and this includes not "just training" but practical application in less-than-ideal circumstances. Is your statement that it "sounds nice but ain't practical" backed up by experience anywhere near comparable?

A couple points:

1. Are we talking about countries or individuals here? I imagine they operate slightly differently... :rolleyes:

2. Consider that since the USA is so well prepared for war, nobody is going to invade us lightly. If we were just a nice little pacifist nation, the Hitlers of the world would swallow us up without a second thought.

8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

1. i said wise guy because i didnt know if smart ass would make it past the mods

2. i hope this doesnt count as a person attack...but you have really bad taste in movies...but to each there own....the only thing good obaut the karate kid was it was so rediculas it was funny

3.i never said anything aboutnot being practical...i said the statement was untrue.

as far as koto goes i know nothing really about him (excpt that if i remeber in my online interactions with him he tended to be very knowlegable abut japanese culture and weapons...but i may have the wrong guy)

but for me...i have 28 mt fight, won gold gloves 2 times , 6 pro boxing fights 13 mma fights, college football and highschool wrestling

numerous streetfights

for a job i was an army ranger for 5 years and saw combat twice....so i do have a touch of experence to back it up

but i was talking about countries cause the quote seems to be about countries.....i mean "prepare for war"...a fight aint war...law enforcement aint war ...self defense aint war....ive been to war ...i know

so if you say you are preparing for war.....i assume you mean WAR

and as for the usa...im a proud citizen and im glad we kick a little ass. however protect from being invaded...your kidding right...your really not that niave are you....our army is too go out and provide external security. its to enfoce our will on others.

its not 1812 anymore

for one the nuke gurantee we wont be invaded. so why do we have f 15s? to attack others.

besides any country capable of an actual invation of the us is economically intertwined with us......when our stock markets tank, the russian and chinese econmy tank with it.........your going to tell me that the russain storming the beach at miami is gonna go over well back in moscow

if you have been thinking that the us is apeaceful nation keep in mind no country has gone to war as much as the US in the last centery...not even close

9. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Thread split off due to topic drift.

I'll be keeping an eye on things to make sure it stays civil. No problems yet, let's keep it that way, OK?

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

nice job....we (my fault actually) were going way off topic.

i will also rachete it down a bit....lets make this a converstion not a aguement

11. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

12. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I love to fight the harder I get hit the more I enjoy it, I just seem to smile and laugh it off. Don't care who you are, how big or small I'll have a crack at you at least once. I was brought up to deal with an issue there and then, I have a v.short temper (which i currently take medication to keep in check).

Street, Ring, Pub anywhere I enjoy it as much as you enjoy to watch football.

BUT... since I have gotten wiser and older, married and a little girl on the way I do keep myself in check I was tought a long time ago by a friend and mentor (who beat the cr*p out of me once) that if I want to fight I'm much better off making fun of you! Thats how I like to fight, but I always know I have something to back it up if It gets out of hand.

13. Shawn (Xiao en)

Shawn (Xiao en) Valued Member

I was a coward, but I overcame my fears by training hard, and telling myself It'll never stop unless you do something about it.

I generally try to avoid a fight, but if I can't and the man/thug/gangbanger/hood/preppie/skinhead etc touches me, I'm going to go all out. I'm going to put him to sleep.

You have the right not to be bullied and not to be hit. So strike hard, strike fast and strike first.

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I used to love fighting when I was younger. Pretty much every week for a period of time in my late teens. I tend to lose the plot when fighting and get the 'red mist' - Ok in a gang fight but not so good in the ring.
    Bottle has gone now though, to old and fragile.
    My wife is a bit of a nutter too. Punch her in the face and she laughs at you and just keeps coming. Funny to watch.

15. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

I understand some people get a kick outa fighting but i reakon there is a time and a place for fighting and taking it out on the streets isnt very practical, as its pretty dangerous and things can get messy and you may be putting other people in danger. I think unless you have a pure legitamite reason to fight it should all be done in a ring.

Another thing, you will often find that alot of people go into martial arts as angry fellas wanting to learn how to fight, but come outa there calmed and dont see the point in getting into a punchup because some guys trying to ruffle a few feathers, i know from experiance.

Also the definition of warrior can vary but i believe there are two sides of a true warrior, the body and the mind, and i think being a true warrior is beyond knowing how to break someones face.

Knowing how to hurt someone is easy, knowing how to do the same thing without hurting someone takes skill.

Now you may think this is a load and all martial artists who dont like to fight are not true ma's and are a buncha wimps.... but you may find that as people get older they loose there taste for fighting, which might end up being the case for you.

PS: Karate Kid might be a kinda cheesy movie but it does carry some good philosophy.

Cheers, Oni

16. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I can't tell if this thread is discussing a "love of fighting" or a "love of competition". I don't exactly see these two as one in the same.

If we are talking about a love of competition where people can show what they can do within the framework of minimizing risk of serious injury or death to a participant I can rather understand a person enjoying competition.

From the standpoint of challenge matches such as happen at the local watering-hole on a Saturday night all I see is way too much testosterone and alcohol touching each other off.

From the standpoint of combat I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing the results of one group's concerted effort to end the Right to Life of another group and I have found nothing glorious or noble about it. For myself, I train in Korean martial traditions to thoroughly understand how easy it is to irreparably destroy another person's life and hopefully take that option "off the table" or at least leave it to a last resort.

Just my 2 cents........

Best Wishes,

Bruce

17. just2kicku

just2kicku New Member

I think what most of you are talking about are scuffles. I have seen "fights", I have witnessed those that have have had to "fight" for their lives. I have seen people get shot, stabbed, run over by vehicles and gutted. So when you use the term fight, I look at it a little differentlly.

Do I like to fight? No. Do I like the barroom scuffles? No. But should I be attacked physically, I will defend myself by putting you down as quickly and as effeciently as I can. It will usually end up in something of yours' broken if at all possible. Talk is cheap and means nothing to me, you would have to attack me physically. But you can bet it's not just going to be a slugfest.

Like mai tai, I have seen some very ugly things that people can do to each other and I believe "fighting" should be something done for your survival or the survival of another, not just something that's fun to do.

Just my 2 cents

18. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I like to fight. However I like to fight in more general terms. I enjoy struggle and a challenge in all areas of life rather than just physical contest. Although a physical fight is undoubtedly the ultimate test of who is stronger.

I think everything in life is a struggle. It's much easier to give up and live some mediocre boring life, become fat lethargic, get C grades in school and get a 9-5 job than it is to chase you're dreams, work hard and never be satisfied.

I also think it's a struggle to avoid using physical force to intimidate others or hurt others when you know you can. For example I've been doing martial arts probably ten years now, I'm pretty strong and athletic for my age. I'm fairly sure if I wanted to I could beat anyone in my college in a straight one on one fight however when people do try and provoke me or don't do what I want them to do I don't use violence against them. It rarely solves anything. I think it takes more strength not to go around using violence and getting into fights than it does to do so.

That’s why I think people like mai tai who seem to enjoy showing off about how they punch bouncers in the face and choke them unconscious really are quite weak, mentally at least.

A warrior isn't just someone who is physically strong and able IMO, they also must be wise and be able to use restraint the majority of the time. Let's face it all our days as fighters are numbered, look at Ken Shamrock he was strong now he's not such a good fighter any more and he's a joke. Bas Rutten on the other side spent time developing his mind and becoming wise and now even though he can't fight any more he is widely respected. If you're jsut strong once age takes that from you, you will have nothing.

As for ring fighting. It’s my favourite thing in the world. Especially when sparring someone stronger and bigger than you so you can go a bit harder and you feel every punch and kick you fail to avoid.

19. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I think it has allot to do with the area you lived in. I mean I had good parents and a good upbringing but if its a tough area you can not show your willing to back down your open to a good ass kicking. I used to fight from a young age and even till my early 20s and I loved every moment of it and in the ring was even better!

I love the rush of it as mentioned. But I've also been on the bad end of it. Hit by bats, stabbed, placed in hospital for weeks. I'm happy to talk about my past and how many people I have taken on and won against and even lost against I don't think its showing off or makes you weak I mean it makes you that person you are today. I've learnt form it and moved on (better things to do with my life now) so have many other martial artists.

I don't think having a hard past or being a bit of a thug is such a bad thing, I mean people do look back on it and amazed of what they have done and gotten away with. I always say "I'm not ashamed of it, and I'm not proud of what I've done" its just who I am.

Look at all the films and books that have been launched over the past 2 years just based on peoples bad experiance

20. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Rotten Tomatoes is on my side. :)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/karate_kid/

So why do you study martial arts? So you can go out and kick butt? As I said before, one of the reasons I study is so that I can defend myself/my family should the need ever arise. So I can fight if I have to - even if this includes breaking/killing the attacker. But I'd rather not be in that situation to begin with, if possible.

Fair enough, if all that's true then you do have a good bit of experience there. It's just that I would have expected a little bit more of a mature viewpoint from someone who has gone through all that. Saying you like/liked to fight is one thing, but saying that's how one should approach the study of martial arts is wrong IMO. As others have said, all that is going to do is get you, and probably others, hurt.

As I've said before, liking to "fight" in the ring is a different story. That I have no problem with.

Think of it as "artistic liberty". "War" sounds more poetic than "law enforcement" or "self defense". :D